Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,126 times

Advertisements

I personally have found the addition of whey protein to my diet to be especially beneficial for losing that stubborn belly fat and helping regulate my appetite. Any more success stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:28 PM

530 posts, read 780,264 times
Just wanted to chime in and "sing the praises" of whey protein!

It's easily digested and utilized by the body, and highly recommended by so many health professionals. And, it's also good for your immune system, which can be weakened by activity such as weight training. Whey is a great choice!
Attached Thumbnails
Whey Protein..anybody want to "whey" in so to speak-x00068612cam5n5v9.gif  

Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
I doubt that its the whey that is helping you lose your stomach fat. More than likely its your diet and/or the exercises that you do.

Whey is pretty much my standard choice in protein. One needs to note though, that not all whey protein is equal. I prefer Optimum Nutrition Whey and Muscle-Tech whey. ON tastes much better though. Whey is my standard post workout drink. I also have a bit of it mixed with casein protein pre-workout.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:59 PM

57 posts, read 31,043 times
I've heard that of the standard whole proteins (eggs, chicken, beef, etc) that your body processes egg the best. How does whey compare to this?

Old 07-22-2011, 05:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhairgirl View Post
I've heard that of the standard whole proteins (eggs, chicken, beef, etc) that your body processes egg the best. How does whey compare to this?
if you look at biological value the egg is the highest compared to whole foods, but the whey protein is put much higher. who knows what that really amounts to.

i have a breakfast shake of whey isolate (NOW unflavored) and i have a pwo shake which is 1/3 whey isolate, 1/3 casein, 1/3 hydrolized whey (muscelfeast). its good food.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-22-2011 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 PM

530 posts, read 780,264 times
Quote:
BV(biological value) is a measure of the efficiency with which protein can be absorbed and utilized by the body. While it's always good to get different sources of protein, whey's BV is greater!

Egg protein has about a BV of 100. Beef protein around 75. Whey protein in an isolated form can have a BV near 170!!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:01 PM

57 posts, read 31,043 times
Thanks for the explanation, CaptainNJ and Funny how. I am definitely going to have to get some! All I have right now is a small bag of soy protein leftover from who knows when. Are their any brands that you would recommend?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, CaptainNJ and Funny how. I am definitely going to have to get some! All I have right now is a small bag of soy protein leftover from who knows when. Are their any brands that you would recommend?
i am pretty happy with the products i have right now. i feel they are top quality as well as being cheaper than most of the more popular brands on the market.

i like to get as much protein per scoop as possible. now whey isolate is pretty much the most pure whey isolate you can find out there. the unflavored is pretty milky. you can add something to it or drink it as is (or get a flavored version).

i purchased the musclefeast flavored in chocolate because i was worried that the hydrolized and casein are less pleasant than the whey isolate. if i had to do it again, id get the unflavored. you can always add some sugar (nesquik) which is recommended pwo anyway. as it is, its a relatively mild chocolate flavor with a little bit of chalkiness in the texture, really not bad at all.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:05 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,132 times
I tried "Designer Whey" once, and I must have not mixed it right ... too much power perhaps. It gave me explosive diarrhea ... thought it was a fluke thing so tried it again, I was sprinting to the toilet !

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I tried "Designer Whey" once, and I must have not mixed it right ... too much power perhaps. It gave me explosive diarrhea ... thought it was a fluke thing so tried it again, I was sprinting to the toilet !

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
better quality protein has a better chance of agreeing with your stomach. whey concentrate is lower quality than whey isolate. i was using concentrate for a while because it was cheaper but my wife forced me to change over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness