Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 PM

5,849 posts, read 4,184,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I've never been much of a soda drinker, but I drank juice and would always buy whatever was on sale. Then I read an article about HFCS (which is also in most soda) and decided to stop buying any juice with HFCS. I also used to be a candy-holic even into middle age, and would buy one or two candy bars every day from the vending machine at work. After I cut out HFCS, my cravings for candy went away without me even realizing it.

I lack the expertise of some others here, but based on experience, I suggest staying away from anything with HFCS (which means probably at least 50% of what is on the shelves of your grocery store).
HFCS is treated the same as sugar by your body. Sugar is also bad, don't get me wrong, but HFCS isn't especially bad.

To be safe, I agree that people should consume as little of either as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 05:59 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,563,206 times
I don't care what you say, I will continue to drink Diet Coke daily. If you catch me on my death bed and it's due to this, then you can say I told you so.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:24 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,579,580 times
I don't think there's a more pointless drink than a diet soda. It has no calories and no nutritional value. There are also a host of negatives to drinking that garbage. You have to be a special kind of person to drink that stuff. I can't believe how much money these companies make selling that stuff. Like H.L. Mencken said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Old 03-12-2015, 06:36 PM

339 posts, read 334,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Regular soda or diet soda?
There is a difference.

For diet soda:
There are no health benefits to be honest.

There is no SCIENTIFIC proof DIET soda is bad for you.

NONE.

Now regular corn syrup sweetened soda....plenty of studies to back up its bad for you.
Wrong about diet soda.

I agree that there is no solid evidence that any of the various sugar substitutes are harmful. Although many people have experienced some pretty nasty side-effects from aspartame.

But it is an accepted fact the stuff the use to "fizz-up" diet soda--the carbonated water, i.e. sodium carbonate--actually leaches calcium from your bones,as well as inhibits calcium absorption. This in some cases where soda intake is heavy, can lead to diminished bone density and even osteoporosis.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/53...plete-calcium/

Last edited by Der Vogel; 03-12-2015 at 06:51 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 07:50 PM

4,211 posts, read 4,465,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I am a male, age 21, weight 170 pounds and i am 6 feet tall.

I have tried maybe 4 or 5 times to quit drinking soda but of course have failed every time.

The thing is is that it is so good, i love everything about it... i have been drinking Sprite since a very young age (like 5 or 6 i think) i am now 21 and it is just getting worse and worse, when i was like 15 i have been drinking little to no sprite and nothing but coke... just recently (past few years) it has been getting very bad... some days i will go through whole 12 packs of Coke.

The last time i quit i was really close to succeeding, i had a whole fridge full of pop and didnt have any temptations what so ever, i just drunk water, milk and tea... however at McDonalds i saw a guy with a cup of coke, the cup was slightly overfilled so you could see the bubbles sizzling up through the straw hole and it just looked like the most amazing thing on earth...... i said screw it i'm getting a coke and now i can't stop again.

What i need are some things to motivate me so i'll ask some questions.

What kind of health problems will i see from continuing drinking soda?

What kind of health benefits will i see from quitting soda?

How long until after you quit will you notice weight loss (i'm still pretty skinny but i do kind of have a chunky stomach)
Prompt yourself to envision it for what it is - a nutritionally dead liquid to only partake of when there is no other reasonable choice.
As for diet soda, it may be anecdotal but most everyone I see who consistently has a thing for 'diet' soda is grossly overweight. It's as if in their minds they think, "oh I'm having a 'healthier' soda, so I can eat this bag of chips and candy bar".

Willpower it's now or never - to paraphrase a Gary Puckett and Union Gap song. No time like the present to stop. I stopped drinking soda except for occasions when it is only choice at about same age.

I find it interesting every time I visit doctor they ask about consumption levels of soda product.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,466,610 times
One of my jobs had free sodas so I got addicted to diet coke.
It started giving me heartburn, so... quitting it got rid of the heartburn. That was a benefit.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:57 PM

9,009 posts, read 13,849,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
Wrong about diet soda.

I agree that there is no solid evidence that any of the various sugar substitutes are harmful. Although many people have experienced some pretty nasty side-effects from aspartame.

But it is an accepted fact the stuff the use to "fizz-up" diet soda--the carbonated water, i.e. sodium carbonate--actually leaches calcium from your bones,as well as inhibits calcium absorption. This in some cases where soda intake is heavy, can lead to diminished bone density and even osteoporosis.

Do Carbonated Beverages Deplete Calcium? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Sorry,Livestrong is NOT a valid scientific article.

So people,where is the SCIENTIFIC PROOF diet soda is bad for you?

I will wait.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Diet soda is even worse than regular soda. Those artificial sweeteners are much worse than regular sugar. If you don't believe that I have some sand to sell you located on a beach in Chicago.
Proof?

Old 03-12-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Aspartame

Google it.

Yeah,not ONE VALID scientific study done on aspartame.

Besides,if one does not like aspartame,there are plenty of others sweeteners.

There are sodas made with Stevia,which is known to be healthy.

Zetia soda is diet soda

Old 03-12-2015, 09:10 PM

5,849 posts, read 4,184,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yeah,not ONE VALID scientific study done on aspartame.

Besides,if one does not like aspartame,there are plenty of others sweeteners.

There are sodas made with Stevia,which is known to be healthy.

Zetia soda is diet soda
How about this:
Diet Soft Drinks Deplete Urinary Calcium
ENDO: Diet Soft Drinks Deplete Urinary Calcium | Medpage Today

or this:
Colas, but not other carbonated beverages, are associated with low bone mineral density in older women: The Framingham Osteoporosis Study
Colas, but not other carbonated beverages, are associated with low ... - PubMed - NCBI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness