Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times

Advertisements

I've done some of each. I had two episodes of plantar fasciitis. Both from running. I don't have feet pain the day after biking 17 miles or so.

Running's advantage is that it's cheap and you don't need a gym or trail. For me, I live where there are lots of dedicated biking trails - paved.

For over 3 decades I've done biking, running and swimming, and sometimes just solely swimming and biking, sometimes only running / walking (that's where I developed plantar fasciitis. Sometimes all three activities. I have just gotten back into biking precisely because of recently relocating my work address to where there are dozens of miles of dedicated paths (Irvine, California area, though still a Phoenix resident). My road bike is what I use in the Irvine area. I use my mountain bike in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,485 times
Lots of great advice already.
One thing I was touch upon is from personal experience and I started running and biking last year Sept.
I guess its the same with any sport but you need to gauge your current condition and depending on this, your approach may vary and if you do more than what your body is currently capable of, there is a potential for dealing with nagging pains. If the OP is relatively young, I would assume these would non-issues but if the OP in the middle aged....

Let me say that I was very out of shape and did not how much until I actually started.
From running, I had ankle problems. I could not believe how weak my ankles were and it could not endure the stress. On top of that, I was vitamin D deficient and my bones were not what they should be.
From biking, I had shoulder problems. Because I lacked core strength, I was slouching quite a bit which developed into a pinch nerve.

I am not trying to scare the OP but I also want the OP to start correctly so that these nagging pains do not deter the OP in accomplishing his/her goals. Before the OP actually start, I would suggest to do some simple and basic strengthening and do consult with your doctor and get a thorough check up. Simple things like push ups/sit ups and standing on one foot and tip toe up and down.

I run in the weekdays due to timing and I do mountain biking in the weekends.
I actually prefer riding my bike as I find it more enjoyable but running is just more efficient. I also have to say, running and biking is quite different that I don't think I can do just one.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:38 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
start biking first to lose some poundage and build up your cardio endurance. it's low impact. if you're overweight and start running, you'll get knee/ankle problems. then work on running when you get a decent base of physical efficiency. and then do both.

my issue is that I don't have a bike right now. I would get mountain bikes from wal-mart or target and they would last 2 years tops and then completely fall apart. right now, im talking notes from the thread because I also want a mountain bike that is built to last. wouldn't mind something used for $100-$250

Old 03-13-2015, 11:09 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Running is better than cycling. Source: cyclist turned runner. Running is a natural motion. You did not evolve over a million plus years to use your feet to spin a crankshaft 360 degrees for hours on end. You did evolve over a million years plus to run.

It is not tough on the joints. Just avoid running on pavement as much as possible. I had fairly bad knee problems as a kid from playing basketball on outdoor courts. I have been running for over 30 years and my knees are as close to perfect as I could ask for.

To be fair, mother nature doesn't have "intentions," and man didn't evolve working out for fitness at all. Either way, it's a superfluous argument since we can actually look at modern-day injury rates rather than make guesses based on our understanding of evolution. I think there are probably far more runners with repetitive use injuries than there are cyclists with the same.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
I don't know if it has been asked, but... why running OR biking? This is the age of cross-training and the smart fitness athlete runs AND bikes and maybe gets an elliptical machine or maybe even a rowing machine (or uses the ones at a gym) for even more variety. It is hard to use a bike for general fitness in the city. Distances are short and the urban or suburban environment require frequent stopping and speed restrictions. It is easier to get a good cardio workout with running. No matter how good your shoes and even if you run on a track running will never be anyone's idea of a low impact. A combination strategy would be my recommendation.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:41 AM

603 posts, read 846,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Lots of great advice already.
One thing I was touch upon is from personal experience and I started running and biking last year Sept.
I guess its the same with any sport but you need to gauge your current condition and depending on this, your approach may vary and if you do more than what your body is currently capable of, there is a potential for dealing with nagging pains. If the OP is relatively young, I would assume these would non-issues but if the OP in the middle aged....

I am not trying to scare the OP but I also want the OP to start correctly so that these nagging pains do not deter the OP in accomplishing his/her goals. Before the OP actually start, I would suggest to do some simple and basic strengthening and do consult with your doctor and get a thorough check up. Simple things like push ups/sit ups and standing on one foot and tip toe up and down.
I'm only 23, but from the age of 20-22, I gave up any exercising after playing sports for 11 years. Then I started running and going to the gym last year for about 5 months. I started having knee problems while running, which I believe comes from the reason I stopped playing sports; I had a knee injury that I never really treated.

I've had injuries in both of my knees since I was a kid, and to this day, sometimes I feel a little pain when I stand up or walk for too long.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
my issue is that I don't have a bike right now. I would get mountain bikes from wal-mart or target and they would last 2 years tops and then completely fall apart. right now, im talking notes from the thread because I also want a mountain bike that is built to last. wouldn't mind something used for $100-$250
I have seven bikes and some are higher end road machines and some are beater bikes for commuting in the city and grocery hauling. A couple are Wal-Mart bikes bought new and still going strong after 8 years. It doesn't matter how much you pay for it, bikes need regular maintenance and/or repair or they will fall apart. Why do you think you want/need a mountain bike? You don't. Unless you are going to ride off-road and I just don't think that is your goal. You want a touring bike that has light wheels and won't sap all your energy just getting going. People take their SUV mentality to the bike store and it is why there are all these mountain bikes on Craigslist it really doesn't work Knobby tires, low gearing, upright seating position, sounds good right? Wrong. And figure closer to $250 to get something decent. I suggest going to a bike co-op rather than taking your chances with Craigslist. FWIW.

H

Old 03-13-2015, 12:39 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
I bought a Walgoose MB in Sept 14
Then I bought an entry level Giant hardtail MB in Nov 14
The Walgoose is now sitting in storage and I refuse to touch that thing

Bicycles are expensive but if you are even semi-serious about MBing, I would like to suggest not to buy something from Walmart. There is a night and day difference in quality. I took the plunge and bought new only because I just couldn't find a good used entry level MB. Everything I came across were priced at, at least $700 or more.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:47 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I have seven bikes and some are higher end road machines and some are beater bikes for commuting in the city and grocery hauling. A couple are Wal-Mart bikes bought new and still going strong after 8 years. It doesn't matter how much you pay for it, bikes need regular maintenance and/or repair or they will fall apart. Why do you think you want/need a mountain bike? You don't. Unless you are going to ride off-road and I just don't think that is your goal. You want a touring bike that has light wheels and won't sap all your energy just getting going. People take their SUV mentality to the bike store and it is why there are all these mountain bikes on Craigslist it really doesn't work Knobby tires, low gearing, upright seating position, sounds good right? Wrong. And figure closer to $250 to get something decent. I suggest going to a bike co-op rather than taking your chances with Craigslist. FWIW.

H
thanks for the tip. my problem is that I hate doing maintenance on anything and I am a major flake in that respect. gotta get out of that I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
I bought a Walgoose MB in Sept 14
Then I bought an entry level Giant hardtail MB in Nov 14
The Walgoose is now sitting in storage and I refuse to touch that thing

Bicycles are expensive but if you are even semi-serious about MBing, I would like to suggest not to buy something from Walmart. There is a night and day difference in quality. I took the plunge and bought new only because I just couldn't find a good used entry level MB. Everything I came across were priced at, at least $700 or more.
yeah, I learned that fairly quickly. looks like ill have to save more money

Old 03-13-2015, 01:53 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I see good used road bikes on Craigslist for around $150-200 all the time. That seems to be the going rate for vintage Trek steel or mid-90s aluminum from a major brand. I've even seen Shimano 105-equipped bikes in that price range. The above comments regarding $500-700 minimum are true if you're buying new from a bike shop, but as a beginner I wouldn't go that route. I'd buy a quality used bike so you don't take a big depreciation hit if you sell it. There are online calculators that can help you with fit.
There are also good online calculators that can help you with math but that doesn’t make you a statistician. On line tools are really a poor substitute for a knowledgeable person – very poor.

And I completely disagree that a better route is used for a beginner. It’s very much the opposite. If you don’t know what you’re doing, that’s precisely when you need help. If you are a seasoned cyclist, then you can assess value, fit, roadworthiness, etc.

Like I said OP, the most important thing is fit. Riding a 10k bike that doesn’t fit will be a worse experience than riding the most terrible beater that does fit so just make sure it feels good when you ride it and that the shop people adjusted some things for you (saddle height, bar reach, etc.). Then go to the Sheldon Brown site to learn some things. And while we’re at it, take a look at the roadbikereview.com forums. They’re the best out there.

Oh yeah, the running vs. cycling thing is so overdone it’s not even funny anymore.

Have fun OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness