Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,764,595 times

Advertisements

Situps and pushups will do absolutely nothing to tighten your skin. Depending on how much weight you lost, it's highly possible you will never get that skin back where it should be. Skin is elastic, and can stretch...but when it's stretched too far for too long, it will not recover. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you should prepare yourself for the possibility that your skin will always be loose. If so, the only way to rectify it is surgery, and then you have a bunch of scars to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 03:03 PM

62 posts, read 287,312 times
you can go to expertvillage.com, and in the sports & fitness category, they have hundreds,(thousands?) of online videos related to exercise, different types,how to do them properly, etc.
it's pretty amazing, how much info is available there.
link below- go there, choose a sub category, or search for specifics you are interested in.
Sports & Fitness Videos - Free Video Clips | ExpertVillage Videos

Old 12-04-2008, 03:13 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,928,912 times
Sorry to tell you this, OP...but there aren't any exercises you can do to tighten up loose skin. Skin only has so much elasticity, and if you've exceeded that point then you'll just have to live with it, unless you want to risk plastic surgery.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 PM

12 posts, read 33,483 times
Default top 10 fitness workouts to do at home

1. Stair climbing
2. Couch kicks
3. Laundry lifts
4. Workout videos
5. Commercial breaks
6. Crunches combo
7. Rolling chair presses
8. Marching dishes
9. Treadmill time
10. Bust a move

Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,952,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucandoit View Post
I am losing weight and I am really worried about everything going south, please please tell me exercises I can do at home to help this.
I am not female but I am in touch with my feminine side, so I am told anyway. I know a lot about fitness and exercise. You say you are losing weight. How, I wonder? Are you dieting? Since you do not have access to equipment I would have to assume you are. Dieting will get the weight off, but it will be muscle, as well as fat, that is lost. The fat you can afford to lose, the muscle you cannot. To be successful, you must at least find a treadmill or elliptical machine or rower that you can put in daily 30 min sessions on. Or one hour 3x/wk sessions. Weight work would be nice but it is not neccessary. As others have mentioned you will have a problem with loose skin but since you haven't told us how much overweight you are we cannot know how serious this is. Frozen water bottles are a waste of time. To work weights need to be increased progressively. If you can do more than 30 repetitions (I am being nice I really should have said 20) with your water bottles you may as well use no weight at all. Seriously. I don't know your situation. I cannot know your situation but I do know you need to find a way to exercise. Hint: you need a gym. Cost should not be a barrier. There are programs to help either with costs or childcare or what have you. Is there a S.O. that is sabotaging? I mean I'm trying to hit at all the 'excuses' people have for not going at this in a way that has a successful outcome. All these things can be overcome if you work at it. If you try to scale your program to fit where you are at equipment, time, means wise you will fail. Do you know someone else who also wants to lose weight? You might look around for someone to do this with. I am pulling for you but you have to do this right. Alone in your house is just not the way to get it done right. FWIW.

H

Old 12-08-2008, 03:03 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,292,076 times
~Maintain your current weight for awhile
~Get into dry skin brushing
~wear compression garments on problem areas as much as possible
~eat well <--most important for skin recovery
~rub coconut oil in as lotion every night before bed (vit e helps skin)
~give it at least a year to show improvement

Old 12-08-2008, 03:04 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,292,076 times
p.s. NO SMOKING or second hand smoke either...bad for the skin!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,315,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
~Maintain your current weight for awhile
~Get into dry skin brushing
~wear compression garments on problem areas as much as possible
~eat well <--most important for skin recovery
~rub coconut oil in as lotion every night before bed (vit e helps skin)
~give it at least a year to show improvement
I was at someone's place for dinner the other night, and used some of their coconut oil on my hands after washing them .. it made my skin amazingly soft!

So much so that I purchased some just for lubricating the skin instead of lotion. It's great!

Old 12-08-2008, 07:38 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,015,514 times
I used a Retin A cream on my stomach when I lost about 15 extra lbs.--my skin was loose and "rippley"--the Retin A helped the skin to renew itself a bit, and I kept it moisturized ALOT!!! That, time, and sit ups, really helps! I'm 54 and while my tummy will never, ever look 18 again, it sure doesn't look as old as I am!
Let your skin have time to tighten! It doesn't happen overnight!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 PM

603 posts, read 2,361,587 times
If you have a bra that fits well, I would wear it ALL the time, including when you sleep. I think wearing some sort of compression garment over the tummy most of the time will help, too. I heard about some ladies in another country who wrap their tummies right after they give birth so the skin can get back on track. Try those 2 things along with all of your toning exercises and the moisturizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness