Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,577 times

Advertisements

I run 5 days a week. Interval running about 2 miles. I have since lost no weight but I've literally been running my butt off

Is it normal not to lose weight right away? If so when does it start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:29 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
There are many factors that go into determining if/when you would lose weight or not. Things like:

1. Your starting weight.
2. Your running intensity levels.
3. Your nutritional intake.
4. How many weeks/months have you been running.
5. Your age.

Weight loss doesnt happen overnight, and it will almost never happen if your nutritional intake is not good. I know an older gentleman who runs 9 miles per day 5 days per week, he is exactly the same weight today as he was when I first met him running over 15 years ago. He runs for heart health, not so much for physical body health. He's probably 230 pounds or so on a 5' 11" body. A bit chunky, but he is in great health. If he eats differently he would lose some poundage.

You also need to make sure push yourself a bit. Im not talking push to fainting, but dont just jog slowly until you start to feel a bit tire, then walk until you catch your breath. You want to get to the point where you are actually running the full 2 miles instead of "interval running" it.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:25 PM

77 posts, read 74,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppycake050214 View Post
I run 5 days a week. Interval running about 2 miles. I have since lost no weight but I've literally been running my butt off

Is it normal not to lose weight right away? If so when does it start?

Yeah, like KG said, there's a lot of factors that go into this to determine why you're not losing weight.

May I suggest that you mix it up a little? Instead of just doing speedwork (intervals) every day. Most serious runners have three different types of run every week. The intervals, like you do. But then also a "tempo" run which is a run of medium distance for you, at about a 5K race pace. And then they do a long, slow day, like for you maybe a 5-miler at a pace at about 30% slower than your tempo run.

So say you do a 5K (3.1 mile) tempo run in 28 minutes or so. Do your long slow run of five miles (or six) at about an 11-minute pace. The rule of thumb here is that interval runs build speed; tempo runs are when ya work on your form and mechanics, and then the long run builds stamina. There's a lot of controversy on muscle confusion; some say it is BS. But for running I found it really does help to mix it up and not let your body get in too predictable of a routine.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
How long ago did you start running?

Have you been eating back the calories you burn?

Are you drinking enough water?

Old 10-09-2015, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,577 times
Almost 2 weeks

I'm about 1450 calories a day

I'm 22 and 177lbs.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:54 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Almost 2 weeks
Not enough time has gone by yet to see any results in terms of weight loss. What you should be able to see is that you can run further and faster than what could do previously.

Quote:
I'm about 1450 calories a day
This is good, but there is a LOT more to it than just amount of calories consumed each day. 1450 cals from a Burger King meal deal is horrible compared to 1450 cals from green veggies, grilled chicken breast and brown rice. Sugar and sodium intake should be monitored as well.

Quote:
I'm 22 and 177lbs.
I am assuming you are female with a name like Cuppycake am I right? 177 lbs is HEAVY for a female no matter the height. My guess is that the problem is with: 1) your nutritional intake and 2) you are not exercising to the intensity levels you need to in order to see weight loss.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:17 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Diet has A LOT more to do with weight loss than exercise.

There was a good special on PBS years ago that followed a group of people for a year as they trained for the Boston Marathon. None of them had ever run a marathon before. They ranged from former athletes to morbidly obese stay-at-home moms. One of the most interesting things they found was that none of them experienced any significant weight loss.

For me, I find the more I work out, the hungrier I usually am. Maybe try logging your food for a few days to see how much you are eating.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:36 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Diet has A LOT more to do with weight loss than exercise.

There was a good special on PBS years ago that followed a group of people for a year as they trained for the Boston Marathon. None of them had ever run a marathon before. They ranged from former athletes to morbidly obese stay-at-home moms. One of the most interesting things they found was that none of them experienced any significant weight loss.

For me, I find the more I work out, the hungrier I usually am. Maybe try logging your food for a few days to see how much you are eating.
This!
Most of my 1/2 marathon training group, both this year and last year, held steady or gained during training. If you are not maintaining a solid diet, more than just calorie counting, it is difficult to lose weight. Especially while you are training to do something new...

I know a lot of the folks here are straight through runners, but there is no shame to doing Galloway-style interval running. If you need to run 2:1 intervals to go the distance, then do that. Eventually you can push to 3:1, or more. Start where you are, set realistic goals, and stay with it!

Good Luck!
-NoCapo

Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Definitely check what you are eating. I trained for a marathon and lost nothing. As soon as I cleaned up my diet, my weight fell off.

You also need to incorporate strength training. Just running won't do it.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Ditto on the strength training. Running is fun and good for cardiovascular health, but I personally don't find it to be that great for weight loss unless I was really clocking in miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness