Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:02 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,357,367 times

Advertisements

I already checked out Snap Fitness & was disappointed by the lack of weights they had available. I haven't checked out Planet Fitness but what I had seen on their website, it looks like a treadmill farm. Is it true PF no longer take a credit card as a form of payment? Both are relatively cheap with multiple locations is what I like about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 02:28 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
I've never heard of Snap Fitness until this thread. I notice that they have a lot of locations all over the country, but only one here in the Los Angeles county area (Pasadena) which is a HUUUUGE red flag.

But I do know that Planet Fitness is about as awful as it gets when it comes to gyms. One that I have heard nothing but negative reviews about except for the 2-3 overweight people online who never worked out in their lives. I mean EVERYONE I know in person who have experience with PF says to stay away from it.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:15 PM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times
I went to go check out PF as a place to shower after biking to work. It is true they do not take credit card. Most likely cause it's harder to cancel payments.

One of many reasons I won't join there.

Was a member of Snap. As long as you know what you are doing (or learn), it's fine. Not huge places, but the self swipe is nice.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:56 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,357,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I've never heard of Snap Fitness until this thread. I notice that they have a lot of locations all over the country, but only one here in the Los Angeles county area (Pasadena) which is a HUUUUGE red flag.

But I do know that Planet Fitness is about as awful as it gets when it comes to gyms. One that I have heard nothing but negative reviews about except for the 2-3 overweight people online who never worked out in their lives. I mean EVERYONE I know in person who have experience with PF says to stay away from it.
Why would it be a huge red flag?

I've read many negative reviews & complaints as well about PF online. One of my cousins is a member there at PF. He's always working out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I went to go check out PF as a place to shower after biking to work. It is true they do not take credit card. Most likely cause it's harder to cancel payments.

Was a member of Snap. As long as you know what you are doing (or learn), it's fine. Not huge places, but the self swipe is nice.
That sucks PF won't accept credit cards. I refuse to give a business my routing number as a form of payment. Although, the $10.00 limited membership a month sounds appealing.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:14 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post

Of course they take credit card. How else do they collect the monthly fee ($10)?

I like my local PF - it's a nice, simple, easy-going gym that's within walking distance (no messing up my car seat drenched in sweat) and it's never crowded. They have all the machines I need, and they keep it nice and clean.

Not being a "Gold's Gym" type, I don't see what more I'd want in a gym - especially at $10 a month.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Snap Fitness-If you like to workout, can handle being on your own(sometimes all alone in the gym) and can survive without free Tootsie Rolls, pizza and bagels.

Planet Fitness-If you don't plan on going to the gym often or get intimidated by someone lifting more than a 100 pounds.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:31 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Of course they take credit card. How else do they collect the monthly fee ($10)?

I like my local PF - it's a nice, simple, easy-going gym that's within walking distance (no messing up my car seat drenched in sweat) and it's never crowded. They have all the machines I need, and they keep it nice and clean.

Not being a "Gold's Gym" type, I don't see what more I'd want in a gym - especially at $10 a month.

They take a bank account & routing number. At least the one on broad st. in NYC has said they do not take CC.

Smack your head. It takes just a little bit of brains to figure out why.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:37 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,356 times
It depends on what you're looking for. I'm not trying to be a body builder nor am I willing to travel to the next town over to go to another gym, so I go to PF. The one here is always clean and has a very friendly staff. Plus it's 2 minutes from my house, which is a huge deal for someone as busy as me. There are some things I think are weird like pizza on Monday or one Monday a month (whatever it is) and tootsie rolls on the counter, but no one is forcing me to eat any of it. Again, it depends on your needs. For some, PF is not worth the low cost. For people like me, it has what we need to achieve our desired goals.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:38 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
When it comes to gyms you get what you pay for. It also comes to your commitment level and what you want to achieve.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:51 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
I can't figure out where this hatred of PF comes from. I've experienced many gyms from high school workout rooms to "Average Joes" to Globogyms, and newsflash folks the weights all weigh the same!

My local Globogym in high school was $xx to signup, $35/month. This was 15+ yeas ago!

Planet Fitness offers a wide selection of equipment from higher end treadmills/bikes/etc. to machines to a huge selection of free weights. For $10. Sometimes even less, they also have a $99 yearly membership.

What else do you need? Why the disdain for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness