Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 04:34 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times

Advertisements

The OP does not state gender or age. Male hormones help reduce belly fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 01:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
Can you give me the author or exact title of that book? I tried googling "The Diet to Reverse the Effects of Diabetes" and come up with nothing.

Thank you
Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes without Drugs: Neal D. Barnard: 9781594868108: Amazon.com: Books

Sorry. It's Program for Reversing Diabetes by Dr. Neal Barnard

Fantastic.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I found it on Amazon. It's "The Diabetes Diet Plan" (extended title includes the words, "reverse the effects of Diabetes"), by Jack Maple.

@hunterseat, how is this different from the low-carb diets that help reverse or prevent diabetes? In the preview available (on the "look inside" feature), it discusses low-carb diets, but the implication is that this book's diet is somehow more effective. The preview ends before revealing any of that info. Judging by the big bowl of salad on the cover, it looks like another low-carb diet.
Wrong book. Sorry about the error. This is not at all a low-carb diet. I think Dr. Neal Barnard has a web site that explains more.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:27 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I have three professional designations in the field and have done this since the mid 1990s. AFFA Certified personal trainer, AFAA Certified aerobics, and STOTT Pilates certified instructor.

Your abs are a core muscle group that are constantly being used to stabilize you.

You could not work your abs at all and they would be well defined.

In order to see them well you have to have a pretty low body fat which is achieved only through diet.

In order to lose fat in any area you have to reduce calories.

The easiest way to get rid of fat is to cut calories.

I've gotten thousands of people in optimal condition.

I think I know what I'm talking about.

Thank you!

If I had a nickel for every "spot reducing" post, or post saying you need to do 1000 crunches a day to get a "six pack", I'd be rich.

As you get older, it's nearly impossible to outwork a bad diet. When you're younger, you can get away with it more easily.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:32 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Regardless of your certifications and experience as a trainer, I know from personal experience that a combination of exercise and attention to diet is far superior to dieting alone for fat reduction. And I'm not talking about just doing specific ab exercises. I'm talking about heavy weight training for the large muscle groups such as squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, etc., in addition to doing some kind cardio vascular exercise such as brisk walking for perhaps an hour, several times a week. It is a fact that the right kind of activity burns fat, and therefore your statement that 'it's entirely a matter of diet' is simply not true. Exercise not only burns fat, but maintains and builds muscle tissue. A person who is wise in his approach to fat loss will both exercise and watch what he eats. However, a person should make sure he doesn't have a condition which would make heavy, intense exercise unsafe. But just about anyone can walk. And even that by itself is a good fat loss activity.

Yes, obviously working out and dieting combined will work much better than either one by themselves.

Yes, adding lean mass will increase your basal metabolic rate, thus burning more fat.

If the OP is adamant that he/she is "working hard enough" in the gym, and he/she appears to be - diet is the only option for improvement. Right?

Old 12-27-2015, 04:50 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yes, obviously working out and dieting combined will work much better than either one by themselves.

Yes, adding lean mass will increase your basal metabolic rate, thus burning more fat.

If the OP is adamant that he/she is "working hard enough" in the gym, and he/she appears to be - diet is the only option for improvement. Right?
Actually, the OP claims that he has tried both exercise and dieting and that it hasn't worked. But he hasn't given many details about his exercise routine or his diet. Unless he does this thread has pretty much run its course.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:01 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
There are lots of factors including age, sex, genetics, and if you were ever heavy. If you have always had abs, it's easier to keep them than to set out to get them for the first time at 35 or 40. If you are female, your whole physiology is all about carrying enough fat to reproduce and nurture a child. And once you have children, there's a 99% chance your body will never be the same no matter how thin you are.

I have a friend with fat knees. It's genetic. Her mom and grandma had them too. Very unattractive and the only way she could get rid of them was liposuction. She was thin. Her knees were fat. The inside of both knees had huge fat pads no diet or exercise could reduce. Unfortunately both her kids have fat knees too.

If you have lost a good bit of weight, your skin will only shrink so much. And the leftovers are not pretty. And it doesn't matter how much more you lose. Those same areas will always be lumpy. The only thing that will fix it is plastic surgery. And you trade the lumps for scars.

If you are young and you have very good skin, you could try cool sculpting. It's a series of treatments where they freeze your fat and the cells die. I know one person who lost 4 inches off her waist permanently with about 6 of these treatments.

You will never lose weight where you want to lose the most. Women always lose the boobs and the butt first. Men lose the butt. But the gut is always the last to go. Darn it.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:49 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
[Mod cut: this post has been deleted]

Nothing like a guy that asks for help and then proceeds to pick a fight with anyone telling him what he doesnt want to hear.

There is no magic mystery to weight loss. Either your exercise regimen needs work or you have food amnesia and are consuming way too many calories...or both.

In my experience I find that most people tend to overestimate the effectiveness of their training program and underestimate the amount of calories that they consume.

Last edited by elnina; 12-28-2015 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 09:05 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Nothing like a guy that asks for help and then proceeds to pick a fight with anyone telling him what he doesnt want to hear.

There is no magic mystery to weight loss. Either your exercise regimen needs work or you have food amnesia and are consuming way too many calories...or both.

In my experience I find that most people tend to overestimate the effectiveness of their training program and underestimate the amount of calories that they consume.
Trying everything/trying hard is also subjective.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:32 PM

888 posts, read 890,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
Been trying to get rid of stubborn fat in my abs area. I've tried exercise and dieting. But that doesn't work. What alternatives can I try sans surgery?
Q: How Do I Remove Stubborn Fat?

A: Very slowly and that slowly becomes slower as we age. For a prop, use duct tape applied over your mouth.

Seriously, a daily calorie deficit of 250 to 500 calories will give you 2 to 4 lbs. a month of weight loss. Guess how much that stubborn fat weighs and then divide that number by 2 to 4 and that'll give you an approximate number of month's you'll need to get the job done assuming you maintain your discipline without interruption.

Another rule of thumb is to take the time it took to add it and multiply that time by 1 to 1.5 and that's a conservative estimate of how long it'll take you to rid yourself of it assuming you rigorously practice the calorie deficit described above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness