Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,746 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal. I have the muscle and do not want to lose them however I have about 20 lbs of stubborn body fat that just won't leave, even if I am eating healthy, watching calories, proteins, fats, carbs, etc.
Do I need to start doing more cardio? Any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
20 lbs of body fat is a friggin' LOT of fat. I doubt that you have THAT much. lol

Try going on a cut for a few weeks. That should help lower your body fat %.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Here's the deal. I have the muscle and do not want to lose them however I have about 20 lbs of stubborn body fat that just won't leave, even if I am eating healthy, watching calories, proteins, fats, carbs, etc.
Do I need to start doing more cardio? Any advice? Thanks!
20 pounds of excess of fat sounds like a lot. Usually, when people talk about the stubborn last few, it's 5-10 pounds. I also saw your post about nutrient ratios. Experiment with those. When you've run out of options, there's the zig-zag method. With that, you do a couple low calorie days, then throw in a high calorie day to kickstart your metabolism and go back to low cal days. This will trick your body. Fitness models use this technique to get really lean. But I would save this for when you're down to the last 5 or so pounds.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
How long have you stuck to ONE plan trying to reduce it?
( No modifications or changes during that time)
What was your body fat measure method?
How much weight have you lost so far? How long have you kept that off?
What is your suggested healthy weight range for your ht/sex?
Age range?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 PM

age 37, 5'9", male. BMI says I should be around 170 but if that were the case then that would mean zero percent body fat. I'm down 13 lbs so far in one month. Doing P90X currently. My body fat has only been measured via online calculators so I've never had it actually tested in person. I've experimented with my ratios for about a month now. I would keep it consistant for one week then have to modify it the next week to see what works and what doesn't but I think I'm not getting enough carbs since I keep bonking. I've had my rations at 20/40/40 and liked the extra energy I had but didn't lose a single lb. that week. I am slimming down though. Was pushing size 36 pants but now fit in my 34's again. Shirts were x-large to large depending on the shirt but now those are baggy and I'm in Mediums again also. Which feels great! I'm just having problems shedding the fat layers. My muscles are there, but they are hiding.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
age 37, 5'9", male. BMI says I should be around 170 but if that were the case then that would mean zero percent body fat. I'm down 13 lbs so far in one month. Doing P90X currently. My body fat has only been measured via online calculators so I've never had it actually tested in person. I've experimented with my ratios for about a month now. I would keep it consistant for one week then have to modify it the next week to see what works and what doesn't but I think I'm not getting enough carbs since I keep bonking. I've had my rations at 20/40/40 and liked the extra energy I had but didn't lose a single lb. that week. I am slimming down though. Was pushing size 36 pants but now fit in my 34's again. Shirts were x-large to large depending on the shirt but now those are baggy and I'm in Mediums again also. Which feels great! I'm just having problems shedding the fat layers. My muscles are there, but they are hiding.
First things first - EFF BMI!!!! Dont pay any attention to it, dont think about it, dont consider it, dont even dream about it. BMI is baloney.

If you are doing P90x why arent you following the nutrition part of the program?

I say just keep doing the P90x, but follow the nutrition part EXACTLY. You'll be very happy with the results at the end of your first/second cycle. Dont worry about the fat layers right now as they will burn off with continued use of the P90x plan.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
20 lbs of body fat is a friggin' LOT of fat. I doubt that you have THAT much. lol

Try going on a cut for a few weeks. That should help lower your body fat %.
How do you figrure that 20 lbs is alot of body fat? If the dude weighs, say, 220 lbs. then his body fat % is around 8%, which is pretty damn good; that's probably lower than most NFL linebackers. I know marathon runners who carry more than 10-15% body fat.
Anyway, yeah, if you want to lose more fat you probably need to ramp up your cardio. Increase the time you're currently spending on cardio, per week, by about 50%. And, when doing that cardio, make sure you implement some speed-work, or interval training into it. By this I mean: instead of doing a long, slow run, for example, like 5 miles in 50 minutes, try sprinting for a quarter mile or so, and then jogging for another quarter mile. If you're a runner, Google "Yasso 800's" and try that out. But you can do speedwork with any type of cardio: running, biking, swimming, or even the elliptical machines. The thing is, it's been shown that incorporating quick bursts into your cardio will burn more fat than will long, slow sessions.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 AM

In regards to the P90X program, I learned that it was best to follow the ratios rather than the exact foods or menu's listed in their nutritional book. Of course though, eating healthy foods which I do. I do plan on continuing P90X for some more rounds after my current round.
Currently 207 lbs but I have no accurate body fat measurement, just what is done on freedieting website under the body fat calculator. According to that calculator, I'm at 21% body fat, but I'd like to lose 10 % more but that might be extreme. Of course my BMI says I have like 40 lbs to lose but I totally disagree with that. I would say around 20 lbs is more accurate, and by doing so, that would put me in the really lean category which is my goal. When the weather is better, I do get outside and do more HIIT exercises. I'm not one for long runs which is why I prefer HIIT exercises, even on my elliptical machine. Kicks my butt and I love it. Makes me feel more accomplished to rather than running in circles on a track for a long time.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
First things first - EFF BMI!!!! Dont pay any attention to it, dont think about it, dont consider it, dont even dream about it. BMI is baloney.
I agree 100%. BMI doesn't take into account body composition. Arnold Schwarzenegger would be classified as obese based on his BMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
How do you figrure that 20 lbs is alot of body fat?
He said he has 20 more to lose, meaning 20 excess pounds.

Quote:
Currently 207 lbs but I have no accurate body fat measurement, just what is done on freedieting website under the body fat calculator. According to that calculator, I'm at 21% body fat, but I'd like to lose 10 % more but that might be extreme. Of course my BMI says I have like 40 lbs to lose but I totally disagree with that. I would say around 20 lbs is more accurate, and by doing so, that would put me in the really lean category which is my goal.
First of all, stop looking at your BMI. Second, if you're at 21% body fat and want to lose another 10%, then you'd have to get down to about 184. So 23 pounds of fat. If I had that much to lose, I would not be attempting anything like zig-zag. Those are best saved for when you've run out of options, probably around the last 5-10 pounds.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Often times people underestimate their eating. I had to stop weights for 8 weeks, so adjusted my diet and ate low calorie/high protein/low carb. Even though I wasnt lifting or doing cardio I looked the best in my life. I would reevaluate your diet and cut back calorically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness