Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:34 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times

Advertisements

At my gym they also offer personal training. Right now, I'm SO weak that it would be way too hard on my body. I am very out of shape. I'm getting better though. I noticed my stamina is getting better during Zumba class. I'm looking to lose a lot of weight. About 75 lbs. I've lost about 10lbs so far.

I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week. I'll do strength training (one day arms, another day legs) and then a class. I bought 3 lb weights for use at home as wel.

So, I'm just curious how much more effective the personal training could be.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 06:23 PM

483 posts, read 624,414 times
The strength training will be most effective in burning that unwanted body fat by way of putting on muscle. I think a series of personal training sessions would benefit you by putting together a routine to fit your needs and be sure you are using proper form.

They will also hopefully advise you on the proper diet and nutrition to reach your goals.....good luck and keep it up!

Old 04-15-2016, 11:57 PM

434 posts, read 248,171 times
Trainers vary greatly in quality.

At the lower end;
Helps motive you to push harder.
Helps keep you going to the gym
Gives you some kind of routine

At the middle higher / end
Sorts out you form on things like squats
identifies imbalances in you body and corrects them.
builds a long term program to meet your goals.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 6,308 times
I miss my trainer! She was fantastic.

Trainers PUSH you like you wouldn't normally push yourself.
If you are able to push yourself to finish your reps and do your alternates then you may not need it.

But as the other posted mentioned, they help you with form as safety as well.
The best part is the circuits we did. I still use some of those routines she taught me and it's been years.
They offer variety and you will get results no matter what

Try is out for a few months.

Just a tip: you need to make sure you are doing some cardio. I had better loss when I added more cardio to my routine. If you have the time do 1 hr cardio and 30 min weights (alternate upper body/lower body and mix some ab workouts in there too)

Old 04-17-2016, 07:01 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
The strength training will be most effective in burning that unwanted body fat by way of putting on muscle. I think a series of personal training sessions would benefit you by putting together a routine to fit your needs and be sure you are using proper form.

They will also hopefully advise you on the proper diet and nutrition to reach your goals.....good luck and keep it up!
Wow... thanks! I knew strength training was important, but I didn't realize it was most effective. Thanks for the tip! I'm glad I started doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Trainers vary greatly in quality.

At the lower end;
Helps motive you to push harder.
Helps keep you going to the gym
Gives you some kind of routine

At the middle higher / end
Sorts out you form on things like squats
identifies imbalances in you body and corrects them.
builds a long term program to meet your goals.
Wow - I didn't realize there was a huge difference! I'm not sure what end they are at my gym, and even from trainer to trainer at the same place could be different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KareyQ View Post
I miss my trainer! She was fantastic.

Trainers PUSH you like you wouldn't normally push yourself.
If you are able to push yourself to finish your reps and do your alternates then you may not need it.

But as the other posted mentioned, they help you with form as safety as well.
The best part is the circuits we did. I still use some of those routines she taught me and it's been years.
They offer variety and you will get results no matter what

Try is out for a few months.

Just a tip: you need to make sure you are doing some cardio. I had better loss when I added more cardio to my routine. If you have the time do 1 hr cardio and 30 min weights (alternate upper body/lower body and mix some ab workouts in there too)
Thanks! Actually - I've been doing cardio longer. I always do one class. Typically Zumba. Or if I can't ge to a class - I'm do biking and/or treadmill. Now that it's getting warmer here (finally!) I'm doing to be taking a lot more walks.

I actually recently also got a jump rope! I've seen people at my gym w/ them and I thought it would be good. I started back at the gym about 1 month ago and started doing strength training about 2 weeks ago.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Depends. For a newbie, it's probably worth it. For myself, it'd just be wasting money to hear someone not as smart as me talk.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:53 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,585 times
In my opinion, personal trainers serve only 2 purposes.

1) to help gym newbies who have never worked out before and have no idea what to do

2) help motivate people who have money to burn.

Once you learn the basics, you are just wasting money. Sure, they will push you pretty hard, but if motivation is a problem, you don't belong in a gym.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:43 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Depends. For a newbie, it's probably worth it. For myself, it'd just be wasting money to hear someone not as smart as me talk.
Agreed

Old 04-19-2016, 08:22 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
I'm about to find out, lol
I had a consult with one last week.....
I wasn't impressed.

I signed up today for a place that's
notorious for serious results.....
I figured why not give it a shot?
They asked me what my goals are....
I said to strengthen my core, lose 20 lb
& slim my hips & glutes.....
We'll see what results I get

I'm tempted to take & post
before & after pics

Old 04-19-2016, 08:41 PM

1,099 posts, read 901,506 times
It really depends, Shorty. Regardless of the field, there will be some trainers that are a wealth of knowledge and can get you to your results much faster, and in a safer manner than you could yourself. And there are others that aren't worth a damn. If you think about it, it's no different than many professions (i.e. Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants).

I've been training for 16 years now and would never be so arrogant to think that someone couldn't show me something new. I've learned plenty of new things and different perspectives over the years. It's rare for me to go to a fitness conference and not have a few tools to take back to my clients. Clearly that's one of the reasons you have to complete a certain amount of continuing education credits to re-certify yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness