Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 05:51 AM

4,571 posts, read 5,443,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Depends. For a newbie, it's probably worth it. For myself, it'd just be wasting money to hear someone not as smart as me talk.
Yep. Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:18 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,195,267 times
I'm pretty tight with my money....
So this isn't a decision take lightly lol
What I liked was the fact that he said
most people who workout
fall into a rut....
They go to the gym, do their favorite
stuff & stay at their comfort level....
Lol I resonate with that
He said the workouts are going to be
customized to especially achieve
the results I want-
Sculpted legs, as well as taking a
few inches off the butt.......
If that's possible

Then both trainers are adamant
that its also about diet.....
I need this dude to elaborate on that

Old 04-20-2016, 09:15 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,836,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Depends. For a newbie, it's probably worth it. For myself, it'd just be wasting money to hear someone not as smart as me talk.
Has it ever occurred to you that there may be a trainer smarter than you in regards to exercise?

Old 04-20-2016, 09:29 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,009,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
In my opinion, personal trainers serve only 2 purposes.

1) to help gym newbies who have never worked out before and have no idea what to do

2) help motivate people who have money to burn.

Once you learn the basics, you are just wasting money. Sure, they will push you pretty hard, but if motivation is a problem, you don't belong in a gym.
The error you're making here is assuming that everyone is young, healthy and has the same goals as you.

I am by no means a gym newbie nor do I really have money to burn. However, I suffered a back injury last year that was caused by years of excessive and improper training. I had to have spinal decompression surgery. I also lost a lot of conditioning. I may have permanent nerve damage.

My neurosurgeon laid it on the line for me: If I don't lose weight and build a super-strong core to support my back, I will have to have a spinal fusion.

I work with my trainer (who is an RN and Pilates mat instructor) for an hour, three times a week. It runs me about $900/month. Worth it, considering recovery from a spinal fusion means three months of downtime at a bare minimum, and restricted mobility.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,248,825 times
Depends on the trainer. The gym I used to work at had trainers who didn't do a heck of a lot more than show people how to use machines, which I guess is fine who those who are just getting their feet wet or have nonspecific goals. Not the way I'd want to blow $50 in half an hour, but whatevs. The good ones would invariably steer their clients to the free weights, spend a good deal of time going over form, developing a workout plan, going over nutrition (as opposed to pushing their pet diet), working with specific health or physical conditions, all that sort of thing.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:50 AM

I'm definitely gonna do before &
after pics IF it works

The fact is is that I work such an
extremely physically exhausting job.....
By the time I'm done, I wanna relax,
especially with a nice drink or 2
Plus other obligations get in the way
of committing to workout......
Having someone to answer to, to motivate me on my days off is probably just what I need.
My goals are attainable......
So no more liquor for the time being.....
And we'll see how it goes

Last edited by believe007; 04-20-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,248,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I'm definitely gonna do before &
after pics IF it works

The fact is is that I work such an
extremely physically exhausting job.....
By the time I'm done, I wanna relax,
especially with a nice drink or 2
Plus other obligations get in the way
of committing to workout......
Having someone to answer to, to motivate me on my days off is probably just what I need.
My goals are attainable......
So no more liquor for the time being.....
And we'll see how it goes
You should! I was too vain and self-conscious to take before pics, but in hindsight I wish I had. It's tough to gauge progress on a day-to-day basis, but to be able to look back at your starting point is really neat.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
You should! I was too vain and self-conscious to take before pics, but in hindsight I wish I had. It's tough to gauge progress on a day-to-day basis, but to be able to look back at your starting point is really neat.
One of the trainers showed me some pics
of one of his clients.
Thing is she had a huge gut...like a beer belly.
So her after pics I saw only
some moderate results...

I didn't go with that trainer.....

I want to hit every machine I can &
do every possible exercise known to
man to target my rear view......
My waist is tiny, my top half is
defined & strong.....

So this is gonna be a fun experiment

Old 04-20-2016, 11:08 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,358,239 times
Some gyms have "personal trainers" who have no education in regards to fitness, nutrition, etc. They are just people hired off the street who have been taught how to use the machines and to pass that on to members while some actually have degrees in fitness.

I had a great trainer at a gym I used to go to. I dropped from 153 to 128 and looked and felt fabulous. He knew what he was talking about and he wasn't one of those snobby trainers who looks down on people who aren't ripped. I hated when that gym closed.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:04 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,104,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that there may be a trainer smarter than you in regards to exercise?
Maybe. I've yet to meet any of them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness