Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

It's disgusting and I only noticed it starting a couple years ago. What should I do? I have 10 pound weights that I am lifting around the house, but is that enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 06:53 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
It's disgusting and I only noticed it starting a couple years ago. What should I do? I have 10 pound weights that I am lifting around the house, but is that enough?
I think the best thing you can do is lower you overall body fat through diet... but you can lift heavy dumbbells to get more definition in your arms. I've been lifting two 20 lb dumbbells for shoulder presses and bicep curls for the past few months and my arms are more toned than ever.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:48 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I think the best thing you can do is lower you overall body fat through diet... but you can lift heavy dumbbells to get more definition in your arms. I've been lifting two 20 lb dumbbells for shoulder presses and bicep curls for the past few months and my arms are more toned than ever.
"ditto"

Old 07-02-2016, 12:04 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
If it is flab then the exercises with a dumbbell and curls will take care of the flab by developing good muscle tone, but there is a difference between flab and just loose skin. If you feel under your arm and it is very loose, skin-like and hanging, it is most likely age-related and there is just so much you can do about that, short of plastic surgery and I am not suggesting that. Have you always been at a weight that was within your height range? If you are not overweight or had ever been overweight, then the skin under the arm is just from age. You can still try the exercises to get muscles so it takes up the loose skin, but it can only do so much. Maybe, only you notice the skin, and no one else does.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:27 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
I think the best thing you can do is lower you overall body fat through diet...
Better yet through a combination of diet and exercise. Spot reduction doesn't work. In other words, you don't lose fat from a particular part of the body just by working that area. If you've got excess fat somewhere, you lose that by doing what's necessary to reduce fat all over.

Quote:
. . . but you can lift heavy dumbbells to get more definition in your arms. I've been lifting two 20 lb dumbbells for shoulder presses and bicep curls for the past few months and my arms are more toned than ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
If it is flab then the exercises with a dumbbell and curls will take care of the flab by developing good muscle tone . . . If you feel under your arm and it is very loose, skin-like and hanging . . . try the exercises to get muscles so it takes up the loose skin, but it can only do so much.
The above two passages may be somewhat accurate, depending on what each person means by developing "definition" and "tone." Keep in mind that spot reduction doesn't work. You won't actually lose fat from the arms just by working the arms. Developing the muscles in the area may give a more firm appearance, but that depends on how much fat is there. The more fat, the less visible any muscle development will be.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:28 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
There is not a lot women can do about that part of our arms as we age. Lowering body fat helps, but the loose skin will still be there. You can try and develop the muscles in your arms and shoulders - but other than plastic surgery we are pretty much stuck with it.
You also need to do a lot more than just lift 10 lb dumbbells. Start doing pushups and tricep dips as well, among other things.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:23 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Only two things you can do regarding this:
  1. Reduce body fat
  2. Increase the muscle mass in your arms.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:45 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
If you are doing curls with the dumbbells, you are toning the biceps (upper and inner part of the arm). If you are concerned with fleshiness underneath the upper arm, this would be the triceps muscle, which requires a totally different exercise (look this up).

Unless you are over age 55 or have been obese during your life, flabby upper arms absolutely can be toned up without plastic surgery. But it isn't easy, and will take a good bit of time (perhaps a year) and a lot of diligent work. Consider getting a trainer to help with it.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:59 AM

474 posts, read 318,052 times
I found this video on YouTube about a year ago. It did wonders in helping tone my arms. Started seeing results after about 6 weeks. I'm 63 btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAGfBjvIRFI

Old 07-02-2016, 12:15 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
To build up the muscle; dips and pushups. they can both be modified so you can do less stress by doing them against something higher. Dips can be done standing with your back to a countertop or higher sturdy table. Pushups can be done with a higher incline. Instead of doing pushups on the ground, do them leaning on the couch, a countertop, a table, or you can even do them while standing up against a wall and just lean in to it. At any age though its going to take a while to get results and its about changing your mindset to want to improve, and not doing them just to get rid of bat wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness