Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:33 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Why not just drink a whey or casein protein shake? They're better proteins (though egg is still very good) and certainly going to taste better.
i was going to add it to a whey protein shake - i think the receipe was 1 scoop whey protein; 1 cup plain greek yogurt; frozen strawberries & egg whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 10:04 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
being totally honest (and i feel silly for this) but i follow this fitness person on instagram and she said that she has seen an improvement in muscle gain since she started adding egg whites to her smoothies because it allowed her to get an additional 50grams of protein in without a ton of extra calories. so i wanted to try it, but like i said, i have no idea if it's safe.

just wanted to add why i am asking this question (which i'm sure i will get mocked for lol)

<4g of protein in an egg white.

50g of protein = over a dozen eggs worth of egg whites.

That's insane.

The benefit of eggs lay in the yolk anyway. That is where the vast majority of nutrients are. In nature, it's the holy grail of food sources, the building blocks of life are contained inside. I eat two (cooked) a day. Yes, raw is better supposedly but I think that's gross.

If you want more protein in your diet without calories, consume (cooked) plain turkey or chicken or plain protein powder like Now! Foods protein isolate. Low in sodium and cholesterol, unlike the majority of stuff out there. Warning, it tastes like cardboard so you need to put it in a smoothie (that's how I do it).

Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Somewhere I was told that its the EXTERIOR of the egg that is the problem not the yolk or whites.
If the egg is cracked, there's much more danger of bacterial contamination. I keep a plant-mister on my kitchen counter, filled with white distilled vinegar (6% is best, if you can find it). I spray all fruits and vegetables with it, if I'm eating them raw and would certainly use it on eggs-in-the-shell, if I ate them. I spray it on counter-tops, as well. The vinegar spray makes a better disinfectant than regular types and isn't toxic like most of them. It cured my athletes' foot, after years of struggling with other kinds of sprays. Just two sprays a day, for four days and it was a year before a repeat was needed. I also use it on the hordes of tiny, odorous house ants that invade every winter. They don't keep going, after a shot of that.

Egg farms used to offer slightly-cracked eggs for sale, at a low price. But that was outlawed, because of the salmonella danger, although if they were cooked thoroughly, that wouldn't be a problem. I've always wondered how people could handle eggs, without transferring some bacteria onto their hands and other foods. If I had eggs around now, I'd probably spray them all, as I took them out of the carton, as a preventative.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-30-2017 at 01:18 AM..

Old 04-02-2017, 07:09 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
I like mixing egg white in my cold root beer. The key is to stir it 10 times. Tastes great and it gives me extra energy.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,344 times
I've drank raw egg whites every day for the past 17 years (I was big into weights in high school and college) and I'm still alive and well enough to talk about it. You take a risk with every single thing you eat today. There's no getting around it. If it doesn't get you full of bacteria it'll give you cancer or type 2 diabetes, so throw caution to the wind and go at it I figure. Everything's going to kill you eventually so why waste energy worrying?

Thing about egg whites vs. protein powders is you don't need to worry about possible creatine or soy contamination. Soy (makes your jugs big) and creatine (trashes your kidneys) are why I avoid all commercial powders, that and they're ****ing expensive.

Anyways, here's My favorite breakfast drink:
Some vanilla or strawberry yogurt (not that greek crap, bleck!)
1 or 2 bananas
3 or 4 egg whites (, or 2 whole eggs, depending on your preference)
Some milk to thin it down
Squirt of chocolate syrup (if you don't like this then leave it out)

Mix in a blender like a Ninja until it's all smooth and evenly distributed. Tastes good and fills you up.

Last edited by Ttark; 04-08-2017 at 04:10 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 06:48 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Thing about egg whites vs. protein powders is you don't need to worry about possible creatine or soy contamination. Soy (makes your jugs big) and creatine (trashes your kidneys)
Let's not post things in here that are blatantly incorrect, like both of these lines are.

Quote:
are why I avoid all commercial powders, that and they're ****ing expensive.
Actually, assuming you buy in bulk and know how to price shop, protein powders are usually cheaper than "normal" food.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:12 AM

1,517 posts, read 991,344 times
Whatever.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
My grandmother used to make us a "protein shake" some mornings. She would take milk, a raw egg, a little cinnamon or nutmeg and mix it with one of those hand crank mixers from the 50's and 60's. We didn't get salmonella but this was probably 1970 when our eggs were processed and treated differently than they are now. I would not chance it unless I picked the egg up from my own chickens in my own backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness