Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 02:00 PM

33,337 posts, read 26,552,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwunswer View Post
What are some exercising Machines that are for the quads (which helps with the knees) other than the leg press and leg extension?
I haven't been to a gym in many years, but other than leg press and leg extension machines, the only other machine for the quads that I can think of is the smith machine where you do squats with a barbell that is fixed on a track, which may not be a good idea. There is of course the stationary bike with adjustable resistance. Oh, there's also the hack machine.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...961C367A6D8DF9
Smith machine

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...hine&FORM=IGRE
Hack machine

Old 07-31-2017, 02:05 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,567,389 times
OP,

With knees being an issue, you may have to look to exercises that work the entire leg.

You might start with using a 20" rocker board like this https://www.protherapysupplies.com/J...ource=googleps it works your entire leg. It is great for improving balance and helps improve the strength and flexibility of your ankles. It really works your entire leg including the quads.

Along the same lines you might want to try standing and balancing on a bosu ball - as that also improves balance and works your entire leg.

I don't have knee issues, but, balance exercises really helped with my leg strength. Whenever a particular exercise is an issue ( I am not allowed to do any exercises such as sit ups or crunches because I must maintain a neutral spine) , I ask my trainer for alternative exercises that will work the same muscles. He has a background in physical therapy and can always recommend a safe alternative exercise.

Eighteen months ago I could barely do a seated leg press set of 10 with 25 lbs. Today, I did 3 sets of 10 at 175 pounds. I only weigh 108 pounds. My 1rm is over 2 times my body weight. All exercises done with the guidance of an experienced trainer.

When you are not sure you should be doing a particular exercise - always check with your trainer to be sure a new exercise is safe for YOU to do. I know a person at my gym with double knee replacements. She wanted to try indoor rock climbing for her 74th birthday. Her trainer gave the OK as long as she wrapped her knees before she climbed. Having an experienced trainer with a background in physical therapy will know if a particular exercise is OK for a specific individual.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:11 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,009,937 times
Quote:
EXERCISE MACHINES is what I asked for, those other exercises I tried in physical therapy and it was a joke, didn't do anything, it actually caused pain and I know I was doing it right since I was doing it right in front of the physical therapist.
Just so you know, there are incompetent PTs. I had one.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:20 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,521,756 times
Quote:
no more responses, only responses about EXERCISE MACHINES, nothing else
you can keep the snotty response, my friend. I was just trying to be helpful. I have arthritic knees and even I can do a wall sit.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,426,236 times
Quote:
no more responses, only responses about EXERCISE MACHINES, nothing else
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
you can keep the snotty response, my friend. I was just trying to be helpful. I have arthritic knees and even I can do a wall sit.
No need to feed this guy - here's a taste from another inquiry:

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...y-disease.html

Old 07-31-2017, 02:34 PM

11,126 posts, read 5,610,887 times
Quote:
What are some exercising Machines that are for the quads (which helps with the knees) other than the leg press and leg extension?
Bike riding, especially when climbing hills, is good for the quads. Look at the development of those muscles on world-class bike racers. Also, jumping and hopping are effective. Hopping up rows of steps at a stadium is one way to do this. Real exercises, that use natural actions, are better and safer than using machines.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,937,745 times
Quote:
EXERCISE MACHINES is what I asked for, those other exercises I tried in physical therapy and it was a joke, didn't do anything, it actually caused pain and I know I was doing it right since I was doing it right in front of the physical therapist.
Good luck with that then. There aren't many machines that exist, and the limited range of motion means your stabilizing muscles don't get worked - leading you to more pain!

That being said, I have had good success with the mega former classes. It is on a machine, but it is basically a lot of squats and lunges on an moving platform.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:32 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,196,723 times
Thread starter, about your kidney disease, please look at Dr. Jason Fung's work. A lot of Doctors are just pill pushers.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:10 PM

387 posts, read 516,895 times
Quote:
At my YMCA they have machines that work the Abductor & Adductor muscle group. They are used to stabilize when standing, walk or run. Easy to use, start with light weights and high repetitions.They help to strengthen your lower have, including gluteus.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:42 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,836,631 times
There are only a few machines designed for quads. I am sure the folks at your gym would be happy to show you how they work. If you ever want to venture away from the machines you will find you will get better results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness