Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 09:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStevens View Post
Yes too much protein can be bad for your body. But what counts as too much differs a lot depending on your body mass, activity level, activity type, etc. A bigger person can handle more protein as well as a person who consistently strength trains or powerlifts. If you are a person who is looking to increase muscle mass and you are putting yourself through a strength training, powerlifting, or body building regimen, then 1 - 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight is recommended. If you don't fit these criteria then 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight should be fine. If you aren't looking to put on weight then I'd even suggest lowering it a little bit.
I see differing requirements like 1-2g per pound of lean body mass. That seems pretty reasonable. I think 2g could easy represent 1/2 to 2/3 of your daily calories if you use your body weight!

Active 200 pound man may need 3000 calories a day. 2x200 would be 1600 calories of protein a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 07:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Anti protein or anti animal protein?

Some people aren't big protein consumers. You're not going to have big gains without consuming more, but it doesn't mean you'll be wimpy either. I don't think I've ever consumed more than 90g. I admit that I do not supplement. I'd have to eat more or at the very least eat protein at every meal in order to meet the .5 g protein per pound.
Good points.

If I was a boxer, I'd be a natural "heavyweight" (200+ lbs with an "average" diet and regular exercise). Since I'm shorter, I'm aiming to get my weight down to 170-ish. While protein is important, I think the fitness advice we're seeing nowadays is geared towards natural "lightweights" that really have to work to put on mass. HIIT, extra protein, explosive workouts are great for lean people that need to bulk but it's not optimal for natural easy-gainers. Most guys hear 'protein' and focus too much attention on meat and not enough on fruits and veggies. I have better workouts after eating a bowl of oatmeal and a banana than when I eat eggs....though I do love eggs.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:46 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

. I have better workouts after eating a bowl of oatmeal and a banana than when I eat eggs....though I do love eggs.
That's because eating oatmeal is essentially "carbing up." It has almost no protein or fat (3g & 4g respectively in a serving). Eggs (9g prot ea.) require a little more gastro-intestinal effort to digest, diverting blood flow to the gut and away from skeletal muscle.

Plant derived foods generally have only single digit percentages of prot. RDA, therefore require 10-20+ servings/d to obtain enough protein. Mother Nature intended us to eat some meat every day.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:39 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Anti protein or anti animal protein?

Some people aren't big protein consumers. You're not going to have big gains without consuming more, but it doesn't mean you'll be wimpy either. I don't think I've ever consumed more than 90g. I admit that I do not supplement. I'd have to eat more or at the very least eat protein at every meal in order to meet the .5 g protein per pound.
Not everyone needs to use protein supplements. You're a 140 lb woman that engages in moderate weight training. You should be able to easily get enough protein just from the food you eat.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
LOL.. Nobody goes without protein, even vegan's! ... Protein is found in many sources other than meats!

I've been meat free 8 years even tho I don't refer to myself as a vegan, I never really cared for meats so dropping it from my diet was never and issues and I gave up all milk back in my early 20's because it made me sick IBS. I have more muscle now and in way better healthy and fitness since I dropped the meats, eggs, cheeses from my diet. I also have no more body aches, joint pains and rarely sick to never. The best thing? No weight gain at all, I eat all I want and stay thin, I just eat healthy now. Will be 56 soon and feel better and way healthily for it ! Peace Out!

~Delicious Vegan Sources of Protein (The Ultimate Guide!)~

25 Delicious Vegan Sources of Protein (The Ultimate Guide!) | One Green Planet
That's great but the best protein sources are lean meat, eggs, and milk. Most vegan sources of protein are incomplete proteins. They are deficient in amino acids.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I don't think many people realize just how much quality protein your body absorbs from simply fresh produce, particularly greens. It isn't about how much protein is in an item, its how much your body can absorb correctly. If you are looking to just build muscle, I don't care who you are, you don't need meat or any of those scam supplements.
Lol, fresh produce is a lousy source of protein.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:39 PM

939 posts, read 506,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Lol, fresh produce is a lousy source of protein.
Pure bunk. Almost all raw fruits have a complete amino acid profile. A mix of legumes is essential as well. I'm not a vegetarian, but I have perhaps one serving of meat per week; just as strong and building more muscle than ever before. And I'll happily pass up most of the carcinogens and not pay up the you-know-what for healthy meats.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Pure bunk. Almost all raw fruits have a complete amino acid profile. A mix of legumes is essential as well. I'm not a vegetarian, but I have perhaps one serving of meat per week; just as strong and building more muscle than ever before. And I'll happily pass up most of the carcinogens and not pay up the you-know-what for healthy meats.
Not only do most fruits and vegetables have incomplete amino acid profiles, they contain very small amounts of the protein that they do have. A medium size banana has less than 2 grams of protein. A cup of spinach has about 1 gram. Fruits and vegetables are very nutritious but they are most certainly not good sources of protein.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:13 PM

939 posts, read 506,119 times
Quote:
Not only do most fruits and vegetables have incomplete amino acid profiles, they contain very small amounts of the protein that they do have. A medium size banana has less than 2 grams of protein. A cup of spinach has about 1 gram. Fruits and vegetables are very nutritious but they are most certainly not good sources of protein.
Agree with most vegetables, not most fruit however.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
That's great but the best protein sources are lean meat, eggs, and milk. Most vegan sources of protein are incomplete proteins. They are deficient in amino acids.
I'd beg to differ, yet I respect folks choices! ... I'm not vegan per-say, I just don't like meat or dairy products ..But here a list of vegan body builder~
These Vegan Bodybuilders Will Literally Smash Your Vegan Stereotype

https://www.peta.org/living/other/vegan-bodybuilders/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness