Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:56 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
To be honest, I'm not trying to get my husband to lose weight. I'm fine with him being a bigger guy. What I do, however, push for is activity. Cardio is good for the heart and weights are good for the body. Screw weight, really. I just want him to be more fit and I consider it a win when he goes with me to the gym. The problem is that people are not only too heavy they're too sedentary.
No, you have it backwards, the excess weight is going to screw him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 01:50 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
No, you have it backwards, the excess weight is going to screw him.
I'd rather he get more fit than focus on a scale reading. Inevitably, weight loss will follow, but the health benefits from exercise happen far sooner. For a period of time, I lost zip but I was becoming more fit and muscular. It was only a matter of time before the scale number started dropping as well.

People focus way too much on the scale and not on actual fitness. You can improve your heart health long before you lose a pound.

So I'm happy each and every time he shows up with me at the gym and the weight will come off when it comes off.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:56 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
I'd rather he get more fit than focus on a scale reading. Inevitably, weight loss will follow, but the health benefits from exercise happen far sooner. For a period of time, I lost zip but I was becoming more fit and muscular. It was only a matter of time before the scale number started dropping as well.

People focus way too much on the scale and not on actual fitness. You can improve your heart health long before you lose a pound.

So I'm happy each and every time he shows up with me at the gym and the weight will come off when it comes off.
Any gym rat will tell you that you can't outrun your fork. As we get older the damage done to joints by extra weight accumulates and exercises like jogging make it even worse. I suppose swimming might be appropriate for someone just starting out after a spell of inactivity and weight gain.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Any gym rat will tell you that you can't outrun your fork. As we get older the damage done to joints by extra weight accumulates and exercises like jogging make it even worse. I suppose swimming might be appropriate for someone just starting out after a spell of inactivity and weight gain.
With all due respect, as someone who is pver 40, formerly obese, and a gym rat, I know all of that. I know you can't outrun your fork. I still stand by what I say. I'm happy about him getting more fit than obsessing about a number. And he has enough stamina now to do a moderate intensity thirty minute cardio session on the elliptical. We're doing a-ok thank you.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:21 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Mexico is way more obese than we are. We might be first for a first world country thou.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:58 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
I wish that we didn't have to care about fat people in today's society. But the truth is they are everywhere. Your coworker, your boss, your neighbor, the clerk at the grocery store, the barbershop, they're even at the gym ironically.

It doesn't matter if you want to blame fat people or the big wealthy corporations who peddle all this delicious junk food down our throats with marketing and grocery store space, this is a sad epidemic that we will all pay dearly for in the form of rising medical costs and taxes to shove these fat people to the ER.

Solution? There is no practical solution. Pandora's box of delicious food has been opened and America clearly isn't going back. Only benefit is all the genius' getting rich off creating fake fad diets.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I wish that we didn't have to care about fat people in today's society. But the truth is they are everywhere. Your coworker, your boss, your neighbor, the clerk at the grocery store, the barbershop, they're even at the gym ironically.

It doesn't matter if you want to blame fat people or the big wealthy corporations who peddle all this delicious junk food down our throats with marketing and grocery store space, this is a sad epidemic that we will all pay dearly for in the form of rising medical costs and taxes to shove these fat people to the ER.

Solution? There is no practical solution. Pandora's box of delicious food has been opened and America clearly isn't going back. Only benefit is all the genius' getting rich off creating fake fad diets.
Oh good grief! If a fat person is at the gym, that's a good thing! I never knew gyms were the domain of lean people

Old 03-12-2018, 05:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:

I have to agree! My younger is 53 and 5'9 and has been overweight all her life, her job require that she has physical ever year! She has under go all the heart and stress test :
  • Electrocardiogram (ECG). ...
  • Holter monitoring. ...
  • Echocardiogram. ...
  • Stress test. ...
  • Cardiac computerized tomography (CT) scan. ...
  • Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
Even tho she overweight her heart has no leaks and she has no plaque in arteries and her BP low as well, she in great health, doc said her heart is very strong . She also run marathons/workouts and she eats healthy, yet she overweight!

Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Oh good grief! If a fat person is at the gym, that's a good thing! I never knew gyms were the domain of lean people
Attached Thumbnails
Fat, unhealthy Americans...-623a4fbfa8ce432b8b0308018b09736c-fitness-planner-daily-exercise.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness