Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:47 PM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times

Advertisements

There is no "perfect weight." Some folks are 5'10" 200 pounds of muscle who are in better shape than those who are 6'2" 200 pounds.

Weight, like age, is just a number until there is context behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 12:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Some people lose bone mass with age - osteoporosis.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:24 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recently laid off View Post
I read somewhere people's body mass and bones just get heavier when they get old so they will get heavier without necessarily being out of shape or fat.
Our bones actually get lighter as we age, not heavier. Osteoporosis in men comes later in life than it does to women, but it does happen to men, especially after getting into their 60s.

Muscle loss also causes us to weigh less as we age, not weigh more. "Age-related muscle loss, called sarcopenia, is a natural part of aging. After age 30, you begin to lose as much as 3% to 5% per decade. Most men will lose about 30% of their muscle mass during their lifetimes." https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ur-muscle-mass

Old 04-20-2019, 01:30 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
In my case, definitely. I was 145 when I was 30, and now I’m 71 and weigh 185. I would be happier if I lost 10-20#, but no more. I think older folks pack on extra, so they have reserves to draw on if they get sick. I’m 5’10”, so I’m not very fat at 185.

A doctor once told me we need 10% fewer calories for each decade after 30, and that is probably about right.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:32 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I mean, at 62, do you really care? There is no perfect weight really. That is why the BMI range varies so much and not even BMI is perfect. You can also have a healthy body weight according to BMI but still have a high body fat percentage or vice versa.

You are better off using measuring tapes and make sure you are eating a balanced diet and get enough exercise. Don't eat more than your body burn in a day...etc..
Pay attention how your clothes look. Look at yourself in the mirror, naked, and you will know if you have extra unhealthy weight that you carrying around.

Obviously plenty of people are in denial about their weight. I used to be as well. But after I started to weigh and log all my food for the last 460 days, I have managed to keep my weight under somewhat under control.
I am 61, and I really care about my appearance. I am sure that I will also care at 62. And so on.

So yes, at 62, many women both look fabulous and care deeply about their appearance.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
OP, your healthy weight should be your height in cm less 100 = weight in kg. Do your math. I really don't care what internet says. this is your healthy weight.

Ok, I'll do the math.
6 ft=72 inchesx2.54=182 cm - 100= 82kgx2.2= 180.4 lb.

If you are heavily exercising or doing hard physical labor, you may have few lb more, it's OK. But yes, you are overweight.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:39 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I mean, at 62, do you really care? There is no perfect weight really. That is why the BMI range varies so much and not even BMI is perfect even though it applies to most of the population. You can also have a healthy body weight according to BMI but still have a high body fat percentage or vice versa.

You are better off using measuring tapes and make sure you are eating a balanced diet and get enough exercise. Don't eat more than your body burn in a day...etc..
Pay attention how your clothes look. Look at yourself in the mirror, naked, and you will know if you have extra unhealthy weight that you carrying around.

Obviously plenty of people are in denial about their weight. I used to be as well. But after I started to weigh and log all my food for the last 460 days, I have managed to keep my weight under somewhat under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by recently laid off View Post
I was reading some things online about how much someone should weight at different heights. I am currently 62 years old, 6 feet tall and 195 pounds. I consider myself thin and in shape for my age. But, according to the website below, I am overweight. It says I should weight about anything from 140-177 pounds. Anything over 184 is overweight for my height.

I can see someone who is 22 years old being 140-177 at my height but not someone my age. I read somewhere people's body mass and bones just get heavier when they get old so they will get heavier without necessarily being out of shape or fat. But the article below says nothing about the perfect weight being higher as you age. Your thoughts?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323446.php

You may also use the Height-to-Waist measurement to check if you are healthy. Divide your height in inches by 2 and the result will be a healthy waist measurement. In your case it will be 36 inches/

Old 04-20-2019, 07:50 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,967,833 times
Ideal weight is nonsense. Look at yourself sideways in the mirror. Some have large heavy bones which adds quite a few. I used to be told I was too skinny while those charts said I was overweight.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:57 PM

79 posts, read 68,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Opposite.

The typical 62-year-old will have a fair amount of muscle atrophy so they'd ideally be a few pounds less than a 22 year-old. People's mass gets heavier when they get old because they get fat. Bone density peaks around 25 or so and decreases with age. Again, pretty minor difference.
I thought about this. I think younger people are better able to carry extra weight (in a "conventionally attractive" way) than older people because of better muscle tone.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:28 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Opposite.

The typical 62-year-old will have a fair amount of muscle atrophy so they'd ideally be a few pounds less than a 22 year-old. People's mass gets heavier when they get old because they get fat. Bone density peaks around 25 or so and decreases with age. Again, pretty minor difference.
I agree. I am male age 64, 6', 166 lbs. When I was in the Army in my early 20s, I weighed about 172. My old Army formal uniform jacket still fits. I have definitely lost some muscle, because my arms look scrawny. I need to do some weight training on my upper body. I bike ride and hike a lot, so my legs and lower body have better muscle tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness