Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 04:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times

Advertisements

At 6 feet tall and 195 lbs you're in what is now the 15th to 20th percentile - borderline "skinny." Most men 6'1" to 6'2" nowadays weigh 225 to 250; a 6'-er is usually over 210. If you can't pinch a full inch, don't worry..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 05:15 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
At 5'8 I am about 165, female, and just do not care what any chart says. I wear a size 8-10-12 depending on the maker.

I have had extensive cardiac tests and have the typical age-related heart and arteries. I ear keto/very low carb and feel great.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:56 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
At 6 feet tall and 195 lbs you're in what is now the 15th to 20th percentile - borderline "skinny." Most men 6'1" to 6'2" nowadays weigh 225 to 250; a 6'-er is usually over 210. If you can't pinch a full inch, don't worry..
I don't know where you're getting those statistics.. Men 6'1'' and 6'2'' that weight 225 to 250 would be considered obese. Then again 70% of the population of the US is obese or overweight so it doesn't surprise me the level of distortion that passes as "average" these days. Go back prior to the mid 1980's and it would be very rare to see many people over 225 to 250 pounds period.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:07 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recently laid off View Post
I was reading some things online about how much someone should weight at different heights. I am currently 62 years old, 6 feet tall and 195 pounds. I consider myself thin and in shape for my age. But, according to the website below, I am overweight. It says I should weight about anything from 140-177 pounds. Anything over 184 is overweight for my height.

I can see someone who is 22 years old being 140-177 at my height but not someone my age. I read somewhere people's body mass and bones just get heavier when they get old so they will get heavier without necessarily being out of shape or fat. But the article below says nothing about the perfect weight being higher as you age. Your thoughts?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323446.php
Those height and weight charts are good guidelines. I'm about your age, taller and weigh slightly less so I am in the ideal weight range for my height....just as important is my bodyfat is low and muscle mass is high and my stomach is flat and have good muscle tone. My weight is about the weight that I played college basketball...my wife says that I'm perfect and just worries that i won't have any fat to feed off my body in case I get sick.

I'm no expert but I think your weight should be about the same as your younger adult weight unless one was heavy from large muscles.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:14 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
That chart makes no distinction between males and females- not sure how it's useful at all except for the BMI calculation. I'd think that a 6-foot tall man weighing 140 lbs. would look skeletal. Here's one that takes sex into account. It asks for age but I couldn't see any calculations where it made any difference.

https://www.calculator.net/ideal-wei...it=0&x=68&y=21

OTOH- try not to let age be an excuse to gain weight. I'm female, 66, 5'7" and weighed 131 lbs, when I got out of high school. I weighed 122 this morning. I don't want to go below that because it would mean my BMI would be low enough to pose a risk for osteoporosis, but I got there the old, boring way: eat healthier, move more. My peak weight was 147 about 10 years ago. It had nothing to do with age and everything to do with not exercising portion control when DH made pot roast, mashed potatoes, pancakes, corn bread... all the good, heavy, down-home stuff.
I'm a 64 year old female. I weigh less now than I did in my 30's when I was pregnant and raising my two kids. I also go the gym 3 times a week to stay strong. Acccording to the link I am at a good weight for my age and height.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I don't think this is entirely true. Recent research suggests that we lose nerve connections to muscles as we age, which leads to muscle wasting. Exercise definitely slows the process down, but some of it seems to be inevitable.

Leg muscles are most important for the elderly, of course, while most younger to middle aged folks-especially men-focus on strengthening their upper bodies.

https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/story/7387/

"Muscle wasting in old age is caused by a loss of nerves, new research shows, opening the prospect of reversing the condition in the future.

As people grow older, their leg muscles become progressively smaller and weaker, leading to frailty and disability.

While this process inevitably affects everyone living long enough, until now the process has not been understood.

The research from Manchester Metropolitan University, published in The Journal of Physiology, suggests that muscle wasting follows on from changes in the nervous system.

By the age of 75, individuals typically have around 30% to 50% less nerves controlling their legs. This leaves parts of their muscles disconnected from the nervous system, making them functionally useless and so they waste away."
The link you posted says their research did not take exercise in to consideration. The article states:

Quote:
The researchers are currently looking at whether regular exercise in middle- and older-age slows the process of muscles becoming disconnected from the nervous system, or improves the success of nerve branching to rescue detached muscle fibres.

The goal is to identify the best type of exercise – strength training or endurance – and to understand the physiology of why the nerve-muscle changes occur as we get older.
Weight lifting will clearly stop muscle atrophy. The issue is that many people regardless of age have very little muscle. If you start out with nothing at age 22 and do little or no exercise your entire life, what do you expect when you are 62?

I think people would be better off not thinking about weight but instead focusing on their waist size. What should be the difference in your waist size between age 62 and 22?

Regarding leg muscles, most people who are at all serious about weight lifting know that you must exercise the entire body. Squats and deadlifts are the best way to do this but many people prefer to avoid exercises that are hard or that they perceive as difficult.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 04-22-2019 at 08:53 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Those charts are bull***t. Everyone is different, there is no "ideal" weight. And for the record, I personally think people look better with a few (emphasis on FEW) extra than underweight. My husband is considered "obese" by those charts, and he is no where near what I call obese. He has a few extra pounds of what I call "teddy bear fat" but he is so much healthier than any of the rest of his family (like his chain smoking, vodka pounding shriveled looking brother). Weight is only one indicator of health. I am overweight by those charts as well, but NO ONE and I mean NO ONE thinks I look fat!!! I am tall, large boned and very toned from working out. My only problem area is my stomach but then I am nearly 70 y.o. now, so cut me some slack! lol

Old 04-22-2019, 08:59 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The link you posted says their research did not take exercise in to consideration. The article states:

Weight lifting will clearly stop muscle atrophy. .
Stop or slow down, yes. Whether or not it stops the neural degeneration hasn't been studied yet.

From another source: "Although strong evidence exists that regular resistive exercise slows down the ageing-associated decrease in muscle mass, its possible role in protecting against the loss of motor units should be further explored."

Another issue that may be related is muscle power, which apparently is independent of muscle mass, and its degeneration in old age.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:33 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Look at a different chart. 6ft tall and 140 is skeletal, not normal!
Shut up

72" and 180 lbs is a fat ass

Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think people would be better off not thinking about weight but instead focusing on their waist size. What should be the difference in your waist size between age 62 and 22?.
That's a good one. And the answer is: The same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness