Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 05:41 PM

523 posts, read 2,905,091 times

Advertisements

I was trying to buy some protein bars today and I noticed that most of them contain 3-5 grams of saturated fat. In my mind, I may as well just eat 3-4 pieces of bacon to get more protein and the same amount of saturated fat. Does anyone have recommendations on which protein bars are the best tasting AND healthiest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:55 PM

51 posts, read 224,188 times
I have heard to stay away from them, they contain lots of sugars, and bad stuff and do not do what they are suppose to do.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
They are all full of sugars and fat. Are you looking for just a snack bar or are you looking to add additional protein to your nutrition plan?

If you want more protein then try this:

100% Whey Protein - Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein

This is what I have used for a few years and its really been a great help to me. If you are just looking for a snack, you should consider cottage cheese with almond slivers and craisins.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:43 AM

523 posts, read 2,905,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
They are all full of sugars and fat. Are you looking for just a snack bar or are you looking to add additional protein to your nutrition plan?

If you want more protein then try this:

100% Whey Protein - Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein

This is what I have used for a few years and its really been a great help to me. If you are just looking for a snack, you should consider cottage cheese with almond slivers and craisins.
I am looking for a snack that has a lot of protein in it (protein is the only thing that holds me over until the next meal). Unfortunately, not only do I not like cottage cheese but I'm a little lactose intolerant so it wouldn't really agree with me. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:15 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
I've always found the best bang for the buck for protein without the fat is in beans and legumes. Not always convenient of course. I'll snack on a cup of lentil soup, or a small bean salad. Not everyones favorite of course, but nutritionally a good thing to learn to like.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,828,610 times
I take a 1/2 pint of milk, a regular package of instant oatmeal and a scoop of protein powder...mix it all together and drink that. Looks bad. Tastes OK.

Simple carbs, somewhat complex carbs, crapload of easily digested whey protein and slowly digested casein + lots of calcium.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,643 times
Nuts. Almonds, cashews, peanuts, basil nuts, etc. Nuts are a great source of healthy fats and protein. Fantastic snack.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:42 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,685 times
I like Clif Mojo bars for when I'm traveling or on the go. I live in a hot climate area, and so I don't like bars that are covered in stuff that melts. These are great since they are not covered in anything like chocolate or fake chocolate/yogurt. They are mostly made of nuts and all-natural ingredients. They are usually about 10g of protein per bar and no trans fats or processed sugars. And they taste really good too.

Clif Bar & Company | Food | Products Mojo | Peanut Butter Pretzel

Old 04-14-2008, 08:15 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,979 times
Protein bars can be a healthy addition to a diet, as long as you pay close attention to the nutritional label. If you're like me and a hard gainer, you need the extra calories and protein (but not fat and sugar).
One of my favorites are "Pure Protein" brand bars. They have 180 calories, 19 grams protein, 4 grams fat and only 1.5 grams sugar. They all taste good in my opinion, from the chocolate to the blueberry pie flavors. It's making me hungry actually, but I think we're all out

Old 04-14-2008, 10:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber_kid View Post
I have heard to stay away from them, they contain lots of sugars, and bad stuff and do not do what they are suppose to do.
Sugars can actually be a good thing after because it would spike your insulin, which is ideal to get the nutrition pumped into your muscles, and you should burn off the fat during the afterburn.

And as far as sugarfree bars, IMO that's worse. They are mostly made with artificial sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame. The terrible thing about artificial sweeteners is that your body will "treat" them like a sugar, but it can't fully digest it, and that's obviously not good for your body at all.

Still, IMO the best way to go is a homemade shake with a good whey protein blend (or soy/whey mix is ok for the girls) blended with fruit (which has NATURAL UNREFINED sugars) to rush the amino acids into your muscles during the afterburn for the best recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness