Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 02:49 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
You must be that person who goes into a restaurant and makes a huge mess because it's not your job to clean it up-it's the servers..

BTW-You do realize your full name and occupation are listed on here right????
He's actually right. While it is a courtesy to wipe down a machine if you leave bodily fluids on it, it is not a member's job to keep the gym clean. Some gym fees can be pretty steep. The least a gym can do is make sure that the gym is clean each day.

Sometimes it is annoying, but at times, there are people vacuuming around the treadmills as I am running (huge distraction for me) and dusting certain areas. But that is their job. What little members do to help is a courtesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 02:55 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Personally I think gyms won't recover as quickly. People have found ways to workout at home. Home equipment has been purchased. There is probably less need to go to the gym. I have even found ways to do cardio. Basically I hate running on asphalt and concrete, but decided to do it anyway. Found it is not so bad. Which means I'll probably continue running outside after the gyms are open.

Gyms are petri dishes. I'm sure I got colds, etc. from gyms over the years. People cough, scream, spit, sweat, etc. Some wipe down machines, some don't. You're constantly wiping sweat from your face after putting your hands on equipment. Even if you have a towel, that towel is still draped over machines and benches picking up germs and other bacteria.

It will be interesting to see how many people flock to the gym after they open.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:12 PM

127 posts, read 61,479 times
Hope it works out okay. Gyms are nasty, humid, sweaty, gross environments to begin with. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I go, do what i have to do and get the heck out! Blech. I'll wait to see how it plays out.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:44 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Reebo, I'm interested in this as a Lifetime member. How do you know this? Not gotten any communication about it. I love group fitness classes there, but I'm not going to go back this soon. Just curious.
Nothing has been sent to members yet. I think they’re waiting to see how to goes in Georgia, the canary in the coal mine. I have a friend in management at Lifetime.

They will also be policing social distancing. I’m not quite sure how that will work.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:03 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
He's actually right. While it is a courtesy to wipe down a machine if you leave bodily fluids on it, it is not a member's job to keep the gym clean. Some gym fees can be pretty steep. The least a gym can do is make sure that the gym is clean each day.

Sometimes it is annoying, but at times, there are people vacuuming around the treadmills as I am running (huge distraction for me) and dusting certain areas. But that is their job. What little members do to help is a courtesy.
There's no way a gym's employee can cover every machine with every member going on it at all hours of the day. What you are talking about is just being lazy. Clean up after yourself.

If an employee vacuuming and dusting to get the main areas of the gym annoy you-find another place to run-buy ear plugs. That is their job. NOT to clean up after every single member

You need to seriously think about what you commented. It's not humanely possible when you've got 200 people at a time in a gym.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:28 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
I work the COVID patients and have had coworkers get sick.

I am itching to go back to my gym and hit my weights, spin class etc. I am not doing stuff at home but it is not the same.
BUT, knowing what I know about the disease and its transmission, I can say, the gym is going to be very risky. The 6 ft rule MIGHT be okay if you are just breathing normally. Take a few deep breaths, sneeze or add a throat clearing cough to that and you need to be really far.
The spin class with fans blowing around is going to be a joke.

Even weights are going to be tricky. What are you going to do when your buddy walks up to you to chat? Run away.

The worst part is that I don't know when this crap is going to be over and I am a professional.

If I go to the gym, I will do it knowing that I am gonna get sick, maybe not this week, but some time soon.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:50 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
If I go to the gym, I will do it knowing that I am gonna get sick, maybe not this week, but some time soon.
That is the only rational approach. To live any semblance of a reasonable life, we simply must accept the fact that we WILL get infected. No, this isn't any machismo or boyish heroics. It is simply reality. The only question is the timing.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
My gym has a laundry department that is just there washing and drying (white) towels all day long- presumably in hot water and in a hot dry cycle. They provide that on top of the wipes. They added wipe stations at the start of the pandemic, but people use the towels as well for weight machines, benches, or mats. Sometimes when I am there, I will use 2 or even 3 small towels. I am with Life Time and if I am paying for it, I might as well take advantage. For example, people who use the stair climbers often have like 5 towels because they get so sweaty. If I use the elliptical or other cardio machine, I thoroughly wipe down everything I touch before and after the workout , but will have a towel or two if I need to wipe my face.
A towel accomplishes nothing. As someone else mentioned, that is purely cosmetic. You need to use disinfectant. Some disinfectants actually need to be on the surface and not wiped off to kill the virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Doing something "for show" is not a rational strategy for the operation of society. If it's not effective, it should not become popular. We need most people to act rationally most of the time, or there's no point to society at all. Wiping down pleather in the gym is utterly vacuous. It does not affect transmission of disease and is basically social posturing.

As far as affection, I don't go to the gym to talk or socialize. In fact, if you're one of those gym "talk bots", I would appreciate it if you never return. Big mouth gym socializers spread Covid-19 and other pathogens in aerosol form by talking too damned much. Next time you go to the gym? Shut up and workout quietly. Talking too much is far more deadly than failing to wipe the pleather.

I'm in and out, and the ear buds supply the only noise I want to hear. I don't care what you wipe or if you wipe, and I don't care what you think about me or anything else while I am pushing my weights and jogging on the treadmill.

People need to grow some brains and stop being so "feelings-based". Appropriate feelings are good. Irrational foggy-brained feelings should not be catered to.

Wiping the pleather is stupid, with one exception. If you are a sweat-machine, and you leave a puddle, then, and only then, should you be wiping the pleather since your sweat directly and negatively affects the gym experience for others. Otherwise, just stop, you're being a fool.

Go to the gym, don't cough or sneeze, wear workout gloves, don't touch your face until and unless you've washed your hands, disinfect immediately in the car with Lysol wipes. Very simple.

Stop wiping the pleather!
This reminds me of the guy who I had a confrontation with. I was waiting to use a bench press machine one night. This guy was going back and forth between a rowing machine and a bench press machine. He was covered with sweat and left a puddle of sweat on the bench press. The first time he did this, I chased him out to the parking lot but he got away. The second time I caught him in the locker room and screamed at him. He stopped the behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Maybe, but I’m still not cleaning the gym. You can do whatever you want.
I don't think you will get away with this at most gyms when they reopen.

Quote:
There's no way a gym's employee can cover every machine with every member going on it at all hours of the day. What you are talking about is just being lazy. Clean up after yourself.

If an employee vacuuming and dusting to get the main areas of the gym annoy you-find another place to run-buy ear plugs. That is their job. NOT to clean up after every single member

You need to seriously think about what you commented. It's not humanely possible when you've got 200 people at a time in a gym.
How about every dumbbell, weight plates, and barbells? Has anyone ever seen the cleaning staff disinfect these? I have not.

At my gym, people leave the weight plates on the barbells and laying on the floor. There is no way that most of the cleaning people I see could even wipe a 45lb plate down. How can they possibly disinfect heavy dumbbells? About a week before my gym closed, someone left dumbbells laying on the floor. They were probably 80 or 90lbs. They older guy who was cleaning the equipment could not pick them up and had to ask for help.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:33 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
At my gym, people leave the weight plates on the barbells and laying on the floor. ...
That's just bad etiquette, having nothing to do with hygiene or coronavirus.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:58 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
You must be that person who goes into a restaurant and makes a huge mess because it's not your job to clean it up-it's the servers..

BTW-You do realize your full name and occupation are listed on here right????
Yes. I don’t do anonymous. I have opinions and I share them. I wish everyone on here was posting using their real identity and standing up and explaining their beliefs. Too much fear in this SJW world we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness