Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 09:13 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Phase 1: re-open gyms (24 hour fitness, planet fitness....)

Phase 2: re-sell purchased home gym equipment on Amazon, Ebay....

Get ready for the great home gym equipment purge, more gym equipment on sale for cheap than you ever dreamed of!
Oh yeah, I'll be selling all my crap for 50 cents on the dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 09:32 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yep, but if you live in LA, NY, MI, etc. your gyms likely won't open for quite some time now. I suspect many of those states will keep this shut down going for at least another month, maybe more.
Yes, I'm hoping that local governments will exercise discretion based on how hard their area has been hit by COVID-19. My area is in the middle of the pack.

I'm not selling my equipment any time soon. After both the treadmill and the TRX got little use for years, I had a couple of days when I couldn't get out of the neighborhood due to snow (only one road, a steep hill, in/out) and plan to use the TRX daily now instead of the upper-body machines at the gym.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:28 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I would be VERY happy about this. I'd probably try to avoid using the locker room other than to wash my hands after using a machine. My gym is big enough that social distancing would be pretty easy.

It's all in the execution of the plan, though. I hope there are some criteria for when this begins, depending on conditions in each area, and what signs will be monitored that may indicate whether to close down again.
I agree that it would be great. i am just tossing into the mix, though, an article I saw recently in the NYT that says, basically, 15' is the new 6', for runners and brisk walkers. I have NO idea how this translates to treadmills. It seems like the expulsion of breath would still be strong, but there is not nearly as much moving air to take into account.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/w...istancing.html

Old 04-17-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I agree that it would be great. i am just tossing into the mix, though, an article I saw recently in the NYT that says, basically, 15' is the new 6', for runners and brisk walkers. I have NO idea how this translates to treadmills. It seems like the expulsion of breath would still be strong, but there is not nearly as much moving air to take into account.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/w...istancing.html
I was thinking about this too. I guess if you really want to be certain you either ensure you're in the very back row with no one beside or behind you or just do your cardio outside this summer. I don't see myself trudging 20-30 minutes indoors on a treadmill with this all still going on unless I just have no other choice.

Thankful I workout in a very large gym that has ample space for everyone. Assuming, that is, there isn't a huge run back to the gym for everyone.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:37 AM

Also something to think about - while a state may allow gyms to re-open, your particular gym may choose to stay closed depending on the ownership and how they feel about things. Would be pretty upsetting if your state opens up and the owner of your gym decides to stay closed for another few months.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:17 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,347 times
Thank god! I've been reduced to the muscle structure of a prepubescent boy

Old 04-17-2020, 11:29 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
I really hope the gyms will reopen soon.. I took mine for granted before... hopefully they open up by May.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:00 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
Hahah... ^

Love my NT FS9i... purchased last year so I don't have to go to a gym. I'll keep it thanks.
I purchased several things that were certainly not cheap, an exercise bike, some resistance bands, and adjustable dumbbells. I don't plan on selling any of them either unless I have to move or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Oh yeah, I'll be selling all my crap for 50 cents on the dollar.
From your previous posts I assume you got equipment that wasn't all that great quality wise right? In that case I would sell it if I could or give it away.

For me I put some good money into what I bought and am happy with it for the long haul. There are some days you just don't feel like going to the gym and it is nice to finally have another option.

Plus, who is to say that there won't be issues in the future? Remember, the Spanish Flu in America was actually a series of waves (three in total) that lasted almost two years. Always good to have a plan B.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
From your previous posts I assume you got equipment that wasn't all that great quality wise right? In that case I would sell it if I could or give it away.

For me I put some good money into what I bought and am happy with it for the long haul. There are some days you just don't feel like going to the gym and it is nice to finally have another option.

Plus, who is to say that there won't be issues in the future? Remember, the Spanish Flu in America was actually a series of waves (three in total) that lasted almost two years. Always good to have a plan B.
The biggest problem for us is space. As noted before, we have no basement so all of the space in the house is actual living space. We've converted a front sitting room (served as my child's play room) into the gym now but it's terribly crowded and doesn't look great. Not like I care what people think as we don't have visitors now anyway but still.....

What I'll likely do is take it all apart and hang onto it for another 6 months or so just in case. I don't want to have to go through the process of finding/buying weights all over again.

What I have is fine....some of the weights are rusted a bit but everything works fine. It's just not gym quality.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:31 PM

127 posts, read 83,221 times
Really don’t think gyms should be open phase 1. Most gyms are disgusting even without the corona going on. What are they gonna do let 10 people in at a time? I don’t think this is a smart idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness