Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 10:13 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I will not go back to my gym if they do not require masks. The discussion on this thread has been mostly accurate. The biggest issue will be the virus in the air, so it will be necessary for everyone to wear a mask.

Have you tried working out in one?.
Please do, as they are designed to restrict airflow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 10:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Have you tried working out in one?.
Please do, as they are designed to restrict airflow.
No, but I will during my next home workout. I don't think it will be a problem to lift weights with a mask on. Gyms will be a major problem, but I live in a county with only 75 positive cases. OTOH, I'm not in a position to be able to take chances. I will definitely discontinue my membership if they don't require masks. I'm also considering a much larger gym that is open 24 hours.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:08 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No, but I will during my next home workout. I don't think it will be a problem to lift weights with a mask on. Gyms will be a major problem, but I live in a county with only 75 positive cases. OTOH, I'm not in a position to be able to take chances. I will definitely discontinue my membership if they don't require masks. I'm also considering a much larger gym that is open 24 hours.

I tried, couldn't do it in an N95; not enough O2.
I'd def opt for the 24 hour, used to go to one; but snap fitness went out of business.
Often I was the only person there using the place.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:40 AM

9,402 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Yeah, I don't see how masks are feasible in an environment where you are working out. The risk of stroke, heart attack, etc. would be greatly increased and gyms would not set themselves up for the eventual lawsuits.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:54 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times
I go in early and there are about 4 of us in there at that time (numbers increasing slowly over time), so breathing other's air is not going to be much of an issue.

But I do plan on wearing gloves - and not lifting gloves. Have you seen the Playtex dish gloves? They actually have grips on the palm side of them (and of course are air tight and water proof) are a type of sticky rubber material and should be able to grip a bar pretty well. I plan to cut them so they are only to the wrist. Of course it will be interesting to see if my hands sweat in them, that might not feel so great. But I figure that if I wear the gloves to train and then wash them thoroughly with soap and water after training and then take them off to air dry - I would think it would work.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I go in early and there are about 4 of us in there at that time (numbers increasing slowly over time), so breathing other's air is not going to be much of an issue.

But I do plan on wearing gloves - and not lifting gloves. Have you seen the Playtex dish gloves? They actually have grips on the palm side of them (and of course are air tight and water proof) are a type of sticky rubber material and should be able to grip a bar pretty well. I plan to cut them so they are only to the wrist. Of course it will be interesting to see if my hands sweat in them, that might not feel so great. But I figure that if I wear the gloves to train and then wash them thoroughly with soap and water after training and then take them off to air dry - I would think it would work.
I was thinking long and hard about what the glove situation will be and I've decided I'm going without them. First, my gym will have hand sanitizer everywhere, plus I'll bring with me some travel sized ones in my pocket. Second, I'm going to be WIPING (there's that word again) my stations down before/after use with alcohol based wipes. Third, I'd have to constantly wash, re-wash and re-wash those same gloves if I'm truly going to want them virus-free. I'd rather force myself into washing my hands with soap/water afterwards, like I do already anyway. I'm going to clean them like I'm going into surgery, don't care how many stares I get.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:52 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I was thinking long and hard about what the glove situation will be and I've decided I'm going without them. First, my gym will have hand sanitizer everywhere, plus I'll bring with me some travel sized ones in my pocket. Second, I'm going to be WIPING (there's that word again) my stations down before/after use with alcohol based wipes. Third, I'd have to constantly wash, re-wash and re-wash those same gloves if I'm truly going to want them virus-free. I'd rather force myself into washing my hands with soap/water afterwards, like I do already anyway. I'm going to clean them like I'm going into surgery, don't care how many stares I get.
Your wiping will be a waste of time. There is a minimum contact time and drying time involved with killing microbes. So you’ll kill a few, but mostly you’ll just be pushing them around. This is what happens when untrained people “try to do something” but don’t really know what they are doing. Nothing gets accomplished, and in fact, there is more danger created due to a false sense of security from the useless activity.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your wiping will be a waste of time. There is a minimum contact time and drying time involved with killing microbes. So you’ll kill a few, but mostly you’ll just be pushing them around. This is what happens when untrained people “try to do something” but don’t really know what they are doing. Nothing gets accomplished, and in fact, there is more danger created due to a false sense of security from the useless activity.
Oh no. Don't get me wrong. I don't care about germs or a virus. I'm simply doing this to spite you, Marc. I'll be WIPE WIPE WIPING all day, every day and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2020, 02:28 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
you two get a room! sheesh

Old 05-07-2020, 03:03 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Oh no. Don't get me wrong. I don't care about germs or a virus. I'm simply doing this to spite you, Marc. I'll be WIPE WIPE WIPING all day, every day and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!
I'll report you for rusting out my fly machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness