Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 02:20 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Since COVID 19 is surging in Florida right now its probably not a good idea to go without a mask. Masks are the most effective thing we can do as a community - not just for yourself, but for people around you. Do everyone a favor and either stay home or wear a mask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
If you are wearing a mask shouldn't that protect you from other people if they aren't?
No. This seems to be a very difficult concept for people to understand. People should wear masks to protect the spread of the virus to other people if you are asymptomatic and spreading it. It does little to actually protect you. To protect yourself, you need an N95 respirator. I have looked for these online and could not find any for sale. Amazon definitely does not have any. The are still in short supply and the CDC says they should only be worn by medical personal. They would restrict your breathing much more than a surgical mask since they actually filter what you're breathing.

I still would not have a problem wearing a surgical mask at the gym where I lift weights. I think it is good practice for everyone to wear one, but we should understand the reason for wearing them. If I could buy N95 respirators, I would try wearing them while I lift at the gym. Luckily, there have been few people in the gym while I lift and we are usually within 15 feet of one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 02:57 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Masks are optional at Planet Fitness. Out of ~50 people there today, I'd say 3 were wearing a mask. Man it was great being back in the Gym! I be like ....

Old 06-27-2020, 01:05 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
THANK YOU. For some reason there are a lot of people that think all people do at the gym is walk on a treadmill. I literally had someone, with a straight face, tell me that walking around the block and lifting soup cans would be an appropriate substitute for my normal CrossFit workouts
Indeed!! The breadth and intensity of ignorance is amazing, isn't it?

Here are some data points. Maybe they could be made into a sticky?...

* Some people bench press twice their body-weight. Or more. How many soup cans would that be? How many bags of mulch, or bales of hay?

* Some people use dumbbells, where the pair exceeds their body weight. No, not those 5-pound padded rubber-covered ones. But 100 lbs each. Or more. How many soup cans is that?

The exercise-mat and resistance-band set, really need to grasp - literally! - the concept of weight lifting. Get a standard 45-pound olympic bar. Now put a standard 45-pound plate on each side. One will do, per side. Now curl that. Struggling? Don't arch your back, or try to use your legs. Just curl it. No? A little too tough? Now realize: some people do a dozen reps of that. Some do even higher weights. Now try to replace that with something accessible in a domestic setting.

To be a serious weightlifter requires particular dedication. And proper equipment. There are no shortcuts to the dedication. Can we agree on that? Likewise, there are no shortcuts to the equipment.

Oh, and just try to do a heavy weight-set, to failure, with a mask. Just try it... and report back, on the efficacy of the venture.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:36 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Oh, and just try to do a heavy weight-set, to failure, with a mask. Just try it... and report back, on the efficacy of the venture.
I actually tried this last night. My gym only requires a mask to enter and exit, and in common areas such as the restrooms.

I was doing legs last night and there were only a few other people in the gym. They left as I was doing squats, leaving me the only one in the gym. I was wondering how much a mask would interfere with doing squats. I put my mask on and did four sets of squats, each set to failure. It really didn't interfere much. I would have no problem if they required masks, but what I would really like to test is an N95 respirator.

Most people have not come back to my gym, so the during the eight times I have worked out since reopening, there have never been more than 6-7 other people in the gym at one time while I have worked out. If there were more than this, I would have to question whether it makes sense for me to be there without masks. My wife is immunocompromised and I can't afford to get this virus.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:11 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
So the gym in my apartment building just reopened.... They said masks are required the entire time you're in there! This is so silly because many times, I'm the only one in there. Working out with a mask will suck... I'm just going to wear one as I walk in there and then just pull it down once I start working out.... I don't think I can wear one the entire time..

Old 06-28-2020, 08:37 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
So the gym in my apartment building just reopened.... They said masks are required the entire time you're in there! This is so silly because many times, I'm the only one in there. Working out with a mask will suck... I'm just going to wear one as I walk in there and then just pull it down once I start working out.... I don't think I can wear one the entire time..
Don't be so selfish, you may infect yourself!

I guess if it's a small space I could understand.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:55 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
My building gym reopened the other week. There is no mask requirement, and I've noticed that only a few people wear masks; the gym is still very sparsely occupied as most still are against going to the gym where I live it seems. I do not wear a mask as I think it would make my workouts too much of a pain.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:07 AM

9,401 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Just posted in another thread of my attempt to workout/lift today at my gym, it was an exercise in futility. I got through a few sets okay (even though I was gasping for air) but eventually I had to move it under my chin. I tried....I really did, but that's just not happening. I'd rather run the risk of contracting COVID by keeping my mask off (and staying as far away from people as possible) than to try balancing a few hundred pounds of weights over my head, on my back, in the air and potentially pass out. It's 98 degrees in FL today and even early in the a.m. with the a/c on it's unbearably warm in the gym. Just not a risk I'm willing to take. I'll still don the mask when folks are near me and when I'm in the common areas but not while lifting heavy on my own.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No. This seems to be a very difficult concept for people to understand. People should wear masks to protect the spread of the virus to other people if you are asymptomatic and spreading it. It does little to actually protect you.
i looked back and noticed that this post was kind of aggressive against people who believe that the mask protects them from others. the narrative that "the mask is to protect others, not you" seems to me to be a manipulation. if you brainwash people into believing that its about protecting others, you will be shamed for being selfish and not wearing a mask. the propaganda works to deputize people as social enforcers of mask requirements.

im not saying that it doesnt protect others, im sure it does. but it protects the wearer also. two barriers is going to work better than one barrier. i understand it isnt 100% effective but the whole "it doesnt protect you, it protects others" just appears to be a manipulation tactic to me.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:22 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Just to dot i-s and cross t-s on wearing masks and, particularly, exercising with masks on.
No, I am not going to tell you at what seconds Dr BArke starts talking about 20% oxygen level drop with mask on. As I want you listen to entire speech, as it is very good. Of course, unless Fouci is the ultimate guru.

https://youtu.be/_1z664H7EiA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness