Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 03:56 PM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times

Advertisements

200 Planet Fitness members in West Virginia have been asked to self quarantine after one member tested positive for the virus.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/more-than-...e-for-covid-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 11:31 PM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
200 Planet Fitness members in West Virginia have been asked to self quarantine after one member tested positive for the virus.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/more-than-...e-for-covid-19
My bet?

5 of them quarantine, another 20 of them decide it's not worth the risk and stop going to the gym, another 50 (this is Planet Fitness) don't go anyway, and the remaining 125 are back in the gym within the week.

I'd seriously doubt there's more than a handful of infections but most people will make that same calculation and won't self-quarantine.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:37 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,271,617 times
I'm a PF member (not that Club!) and I'm watching this situation but I'm not terribly concerned. What's important is not that one person visited and later tested positive. Given the stats, 99% of us have probably been in the same store or other public building with someone who later tested positive for COVID-19 but was asymptomatic at the time.

What's important is how many people develop COVID-19 as a result of being in the gym at the same time. Hard to tell, of course- the same age range that goes to PF might also be out in the bars at night. I've been to PF only twice while my bicycle was in the shop. I figure that outdoor bike rides are safer no matter what, but the 2 times I was there, there wasn't another person within 10 feet of me and I cleaned the machines scrupulously myself.

I checked for updates on this- nothing, just all the scary headlines from yesterday. Over 200 people at PF have been notified they might have been exposed to COVID-19 and they're all gonna DIE!!!!!

Old 07-01-2020, 05:56 AM

49 posts, read 35,486 times
That is why I am not going to the gym and trying to work out at home. I know that not all people will be infected by virus but it is always better to take precautions and avoid this type of situation.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:53 AM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times
I wonder if this person spent most of their time on cardio or strength equipment. Also other than clean did PF raise or lower ac, open windows, put in fans. Still say an exhaust system would help in gyms and bars.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:18 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Makes you wonder.

My local gym is open and does not require masks inside and no one wore one when I was there. There were not many inside the gym when I went in the morning so social distancing was not an issue.

But all it takes is one though. It won't scare me off yet.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:12 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,489,000 times
and what about the people at the grocery store or restaurant(s) you ate at? The people you passed by on the street or shared a trail with? I honestly don't care, not playing this hide in the basement game anymore. In fact, I'm heading to the gym in just a few.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 07-01-2020 at 02:22 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 04:39 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,271,617 times
See, this is what drives me nuts about the media. I've been looking for a follow-up article to see if there have been any new cases attributable to the gym. There aren't any articles, of course. My suspicion is that there have been none reported so far but that's not good clickbait.

I continue to go out on my bike in the mornings but if we have a rainy day I'd go to PF rather than miss a workout.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:16 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
How does the PF in that community know a member tested positive? Does the member have to name everyplace they had been at, and then the Health dept notifies PF? I started back at the gym 2 weeks after they reopened here in Fla. The first week there was hardly anyone in the gym, early afternoons when I would be there. Now it is rather crowded there all the time now. Which seems odd since Florida is now in very bad shape with this Virus. I'm thinking of staying away from the gym for awhile, but I don't want this virus disrupting every aspect of my life. Still I'm concerned about the massive daily counts coming out of this state. I'm not surprised though in Florida.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:43 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
See, this is what drives me nuts about the media. I've been looking for a follow-up article to see if there have been any new cases attributable to the gym. There aren't any articles, of course.
It is taking over a week to get covid test results here . . . if you can even get one at all. So I think it is too soon to expect a follow up. . .

Of course if no one is sick it might not be a story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness