Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:07 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

MIDLAND, MI (WNEM) - It's a business that sells itself on being non-judgmental but Planet Fitness has allegedly revoked the membership of a woman for complaining.

Yvette Cormier, a member at the Midland location, says she had no idea what that meant until a few days ago.

Read more: Planet Fitness drops member after gender identity complaint - WNEM TV 5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 05:33 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
So a pervert can say he identifies as a woman to go watch women undress or undress in front of women?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:34 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
OMG....it's not the BUSINESS' problem...it's the one who doesn't know their gender! Figure it out.,live it, and be done with it!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:31 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
While I agree with the sentiment of the woman whose membership is revoked.. I do have questions about HOW she complained..

It seemed, if you read between the lines on the story, that it was more the way she complained, than the fact that she complained, that got her membership cancelled.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:38 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
So a pervert can say he identifies as a woman to go watch women undress or undress in front of women?
That is my concern as well.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:54 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
This issue is being abused. Looks like I boycott Planet Fitness.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
While I agree with the sentiment of the woman whose membership is revoked.. I do have questions about HOW she complained..

It seemed, if you read between the lines on the story, that it was more the way she complained, than the fact that she complained, that got her membership cancelled.
Really? Maybe you should quit reading between the lines because you're seeing things that aren't there. PF said over and over in their statement and to the TV troubleshooter that it was the complaint that was the problem, then proceeded to expound on their policy, pointing to the complaint as a violation of their "judgment-free zones."

Had a man (one cannot change one's sex, and accommodating changing "identities" is nuts) dressed as a woman entered a women's restroom, I'd have high-tailed it out of there, too. And, contrary to what Davenport thinks, I wouldn't be thinking that I was the one who needed to be "educated."

Old 03-06-2015, 08:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I would just adjust and he would not have seen me again if a woman.I see nothing stopping nay man from going into that particular fanchise of planet fitness really.I go to one but no such problems.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:56 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
What a silly policy by the company. It's the man undressing in the woman's locker room claiming he has a gender identity crisis that should have his membership booted.

Go into the locker room of the sex you genetically are. Our culture has not advanced to the point where transgender in a public place like this is acceptable and/or the norm. If it causes discomfort in others in such a direct manner it should be addressed. Then again the same could be said about a black person and they have every right to be there so maybe I'm the one who still has a prejudice towards transgender people (I admit that)

I'm all for doing that kind of stuff in your personal life or in private, but not in locker rooms/nude beaches or other public places.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Really? Maybe you should quit reading between the lines because you're seeing things that aren't there. PF said over and over in their statement and to the TV troubleshooter that it was the complaint that was the problem, then proceeded to expound on their policy, pointing to the complaint as a violation of their "judgment-free zones."

Had a man (one cannot change one's sex, and accommodating changing "identities" is nuts) dressed as a woman entered a women's restroom, I'd have high-tailed it out of there, too. And, contrary to what Davenport thinks, I wouldn't be thinking that I was the one who needed to be "educated."
No, I don't think I want to start just making judgments based on my first reaction to reading a story. I want to apply some critical thinking and understand it and question it rather than blindly accepting spoon feeding of my news.

Quote:
The company told TV5 that Cormier's concerns about the policy regarding gender identity was inappropriate and disruptive by complaining to other members at the gym.
And

Quote:
In expressing her concerns about the policy, the member in question exhibited behavior that club management deemed inappropriate and disruptive to other members, which is a violation of the membership agreement and as a result her membership was ccanceled"
Now.. The quote there.. "In expressing her concerns.." does that mean simply BECAUSE she expressed her concerns, or does it mean the METHOD she expressed her concerns? Taking the two above quotes together, it would seem to be the latter.

And.. From another story on it..

Quote:
Cormier says she is not interested in having her gym membership reinstated. Rather she wants to warn other women about the gym’s policy, which she says was not explained to her prior to the incident. She tells WNEM that she has no issue with the LGBT community and fully understands the issue surrounding gender identity. Cormier explains that the physical appearance of the transgender woman in the locker room simply caught her off guard.
If it 'simply caught her off guard'.. Then why did she complain to other members, management and corporate? If she's so understanding.. Why did she complain so much?

And, why would she have this quote if she was 'simply caught off guard'?

Quote:
"This is very unprofessional. This is very scary," continues Cormier.

I actually totally agree with the woman so far as her concerns.. However, I think we'll be seeing more details that come out about this that will make this more complex than "She politely complained and was kicked out". I think the details may indicate that she did something akin to screaming through the building about it or something along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events