Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 09:58 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times

Advertisements

If someone is so full of themselves that they think someone would go through the heartwrenching, expensive, traumatizing, and dangerous experience of living as a transperson just so that person can go into a changing room to look at them naked, then a therapist is needed more than a gym. When I go into a changing room, I am aware that some people in there might be attracted to other women. So what? I don't flatter myself to expect they're looking at me.

This woman wasn't kicked out because she complained. She was kicked out because she then went into the changing room and started shrieking about the other patron. Hell - what if she was wrong and misgendered someone? I had that happen to me when I was going through chemo - if I didn't pile on makeup, the shaved head and schlumply comfy clothes I wore often left me mistaken for a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 12:15 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Trans does not equal homosexual.
I am saying that a trans man can be heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual. Sexual orientation is not the same thing as gender identity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Oh? How so?
And I am saying that a man who dresses as a female so he can attract men is gay. You are trying to dispute this but you are failing.
So, if someone gender identifies as female, but is physically male, and is attracted to women..

Are they a male lesbian?

What about a person with boobs and a penis? What locker room do they use?

Now, I'm the one who brought up that it is MY OPINION that there is more to this story.. And that the woman likely made a scene.. And that is likely the reason she was kicked out.. None of that is fact yet, unless there's been more released that I haven't seen on this.

I understand her position on complaining, though, if she did what I believe is likely, and made a scene about it.. I don't particularly agree with her methods. And I would not blame her if she no longer wanted to be a member of the club due to their policy.. However, it is the right of the club to make the policy. I do not agree with the policy, particularly.. So, I likely wouldn't be a member of that club. That is my right.

The planet fitness policy seems.. Odd as well.. How do they determine that someone 'sincerely' identifies as a specific gender?

Old 03-08-2015, 12:21 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The planet fitness policy seems.. Odd as well.. How do they determine that someone 'sincerely' identifies as a specific gender?
Is this a serious question?

Old 03-08-2015, 01:11 AM

25 posts, read 39,020 times
Quote:
So, if someone gender identifies as female, but is physically male, and is attracted to women..

Are they a male lesbian?
That person would be a lesbian transwoman. (Transwoman = a person who was born in a male body and is now living as a woman)

Quote:
Insufficient data. A person's gender identity is determined by what's between their ears, not what's between their legs. If that person identifies as a woman, then she is welcome to use the women's locker room, afaic.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:27 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:

Are they a male lesbian?

Now, I'm the one who brought up that it is MY OPINION that there is more to this story.. And that the woman likely made a scene.. And that is likely the reason she was kicked out.. None of that is fact yet, unless there's been more released that I haven't seen on this.

I understand her position on complaining, though, if she did what I believe is likely, and made a scene about it.. I don't particularly agree with her methods. And I would not blame her if she no longer wanted to be a member of the club due to their policy.. However, it is the right of the club to make the policy. I do not agree with the policy, particularly.. So, I likely wouldn't be a member of that club. That is my right.

Let's hope so....and let's hope more and more find the courage to bust out of their PC straightjackets and start expressing themselves, putting an end to this nonsense.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:31 AM

86 posts, read 72,808 times
I personally would never be a member there and I think Planet Fitness got it wrong this time. I don't blame the woman for complaining and not wanting a man in the woman's locker room. They should have told the dude playing dress up that he had to leave and shower at home.

**EDIT I MISUNDERSTOOD THE THREAD BASED ON THE TITLE**

Last edited by ToTheOtherSide; 03-08-2015 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-08-2015, 08:37 AM

86 posts, read 72,808 times
Quote:

Are they a male lesbian?

I'll make this real easy for you.... Was the person born with a penis or a vagina? In the rare cases where they were born with both, then they should shower at home No, but seriously gender isn't that complicated. In the overwhelmingly majority of cases, a person can "discover" which gender they are by looking at their birth certificate and/or looking down between their legs, provided they haven't had themselves mutilated.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Are you guys saying that If I tell people I am really a woman they would let me into the woman's locker rooms with all the hot chicks ?
Yes at Planet Fitness. I wonder what happens when the man's body who says he thinks he is a female(?) gets excited??

Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Sorry, but I think their policy is just WRONG:

"Planet Fitness is committed to creating a non-intimidating, welcoming environment for our members. Our gender identity non-discrimination policy states that members and guests may use all gym facilities based on their sincere self-reported gender identity." (From the linked article.)

So, any man who self-reports that he is actually a woman, regardless of the truth of the matter, can use the women's dressing room? How in the world is this okay?

As a heterosexual woman, there is NO WAY I would join or continue to be part of Planet Fitness, and I am sure that many women feel the same, so I wonder how long they will stay in business with THIS policy?!

(Btw, I am NOT against LGBT people at all, but I am against being subjected, or even possibly subjected, to being ogled in my nudity or underwear by any man who is not my husband!)

Last edited by katharsis; 03-08-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-08-2015, 10:31 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Sorry, but I think their policy is just WRONG:

"Planet Fitness is committed to creating a non-intimidating, welcoming environment for our members. Our gender identity non-discrimination policy states that members and guests may use all gym facilities based on their sincere self-reported gender identity." (From the linked article.)

So, any man who self-reports that he is actually a woman, regardless of the truth of the matter, can use the women's dressing room? How in the world is this okay?

As a heterosexual woman, there is NO WAY I would join or continue to be part of Planet Fitness, and I am sure that many women feel the same, so I I wonder how long they will stay in business with THIS policy?!

(Btw, I am NOT against LGBT people at all, but I am against being subjected, or even possibly subjected, to being ogled in my nudity or underwear by any man who is not my husband!)
I think their policy is right. You know what's great about policies? You can choose to take your business elsewhere if you disagree.

Should lesbian and bisexual women also be barred from the women's locker room? After all, if you're such hot stuff, surely they'll be "oogling" you, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events