Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 04:36 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It's Planet Fitness, are we really surprised? That place is run by a bunch of loons anyway.

You know we've reached a real pathetic point in our society when it's "narrow minded" to suggest that a person being born a male is, in fact, a male--and vice versa. If we can't agree on that, gee, what's next--maybe I feel like a dog and I walk around on all 4s so I should be legally recognized as a dog? While I'm at it, I can pretend to be someone's "service dog" so you can't deny me entrance and you can't have me arrested for indecent exposure for walking around naked as dogs do. Maybe I should say I'm a cat and then expect a place of employment to hire me even as I walk around on all 4 legs, naked, and meow at everybody. I'll bet that'll go over REALLY well in a place like a law office with all of those professionally-educated and dressed attorneys and clients. "His name is Morris, and he considers himself a cat. Here's an app for translating his meowing so you can understand him."

When the doctor determines the gender of a child before it's born, maybe we should now tell the doctor "I'm going to let my child decide what gender they think they are, don't dare pigeon-hole them with your narrow views from day one. That's intolerant." So now, maybe we should raise our children as "gender neutral" and not tell them they're a boy or a girl, they are whatever they THINK they are. Maybe they think they're a frog, in fact, and we'll just let them eat flies instead of human food--and see how well that works when social services finds out.

Gee whiz, even BIOLOGICAL FACTS are now in the arena of being "narrow-minded?"

I'm sorry, but this whole thing is just crazy. People with "gender issues"--like the one guy said, if you want to call yourself a "woman" even while you have that Hostees Twinkie dangling between your legs, that's your business--AT HOME. You bring that brand of crazy to a public place in places where people are changing clothes in front of someone else, you're beyond crossing the line. Go fiddle with your Twinkie at home where you're not apt to disgust someone trying to change their clothes in the locker room.
Puts it all in the proper perspective. Best post of the thread.

It is so refreshing to see that more and more have had it with PC madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 05:40 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Puts it all in the proper perspective. Best post of the thread.

It is so refreshing to see that more and more have had it with PC madness.
So true! Sure trans people can go out in public as they wish but it isn't going to kill them to have to use the bathroom/locker room their genitals and chromosomes assigned them at birth.

If they don't like it, then BO F'N HO, they only have to be in there, what, a few minutes, max? I'm pretty sure they will survive.

I am a woman and I don't give TWO **** how a man (and yes, if they have the right chromosomes and a penis they ARE men) feels about his "gender identity" I don't want ANY man in a bathroom/locker room with me regardless if he has had his penis cut off and has had female hormone treatments.

But hey, I have always liked cats, maybe I should become one and ask that business establishments put in human-sized litter boxes in their bathrooms/locker rooms!

Old 03-09-2015, 05:43 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,175 times
Outties go into the Outtie's room. Innies go into the Innie's room. Whats that? You have an outtie but think your an innie? Well then go have the operation to get it turned that way, otherwise you're still an outtie and need to be in the outtie's room.

I don't personally have a problem with people who feel they are the opposite sex than they were born, but until they have that physical sex change operation, they need to go into the proper room for their hardware.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Respectfully, what is to prevent some perverted heterosexual man from putting on some lipstick and possibly a wig and some gender-neutral sweats, and then going into Planet Fitness and stating that he was transgender, with the idea of getting his "jollies" from seeing a woman in a state of undress? Actually, this might be a possibility ANYWHERE, but I think it would be more likely in a place with a very open policy towards people who are transgender.

I want to be clear that I have no problem with former males (or females) who have changed sex, but I just think that until surgery has been completed, they should use changing facilities that correspond with their current genitalia. And if they have to "hide" the fact that they are transgender, I would think their own concern for their personal safety would outweigh their need (and, yes, right!) to proclaim their true identity. Yes, I know it is not comfortable for anyone to hide who they truly are, but even so-called straight people do it all the time -- with their in-laws, bosses, etc. And, yes, I do know that is very hypocritical, but it is a fact of modern life for most people.

Again, that is just my opinion, and I know that others DO have the right to disagree with me!
According to news stories the gym has private changing stalls. If people are changing behind a closed door, how is anyone going to see anything?

Planet Fitness kicks out member for complaints against transgender woman

Quote:
Cormier told Mlive that she felt Planet Fitness was being one-sided and that it was a safety issue. She also said that the gym should have a third locker room for transgender people.

The gym’s locker room does offer private changing stalls and bathroom stalls with doors.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:28 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
They aren't judgment free, another one in Michigan asked a girl to leave for wearing a tank top. Maybe they hate women and bodybuilders.
OK, many places have dress codes. I have been places that would not let me in since I had pants on, and females were not allowed to wear pants on their grounds.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:13 AM

86 posts, read 72,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Your right to express your opinions is not in danger - you never had a right to express opinions without consequences. If I heard someone running around a changing room calling out anyone based on their gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, body size, etc. as this woman did, I would go right to the manager and demand that person was removed.

Feeling threatened doesn't mean that you ARE threatened. The complainant was never in any way in danger. The transwoman is in danger every day of her life.
Gender and race aren't choices like when a man tries to become a woman, so your point is moot. I wouldn't find it unusual if a woman was trying to get dressed in the woman's locker room and became alarmed after discovering that there's a man in there, and then felt compelled to tell other women that there's a man in the woman's locker room....

Old 03-09-2015, 08:16 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
[quote=MordinSolus;38741928

Not every trans woman wants to have their penis removed. It's not just a matter of surgery. It changes your life in about 1000 ways, not the least of which being reduced pleasure from sex. And some trans women just like having a penis. You're still trying to assign binary gender identity in the face of complexities that render your views inapplicable.

[/quote]

Okay this is the issue for me. I believe in facing reality in life. It does nobody any good to live in denial. A man who identifies with being a woman but who has male parts is still in a male body. The reality is he is a woman in a man's body he is not somehow totally a woman, but if as you say he actually still likes having male parts how can he even consider himself completely a woman ? No woman has male parts. Why shouldn't he just be himself and accept himself for who he is? He is not completely a woman all he has to do is look down to see that. That is the reality that we can all see and you cannot. He will never be truly happy and at peace until he accepts reality and stops pretending his male body does not exist and he is somehow completely female, but things can change in life and if he gets a full sex change then his reality can change also. It is up to him. Until then there is no reason he cannot use the men's room while being a woman in a man's body, since despite his inner feelings he still does have a man's body. That is reality.

In a perfect world we would have 4 different changing rooms. A room for He, a room for She, a room for He/She, and a room for She/He because men in transition to becoming women would probably feel more comfortable with other men in transition to becoming a woman . That way they do not have to worry about being beat up by men or scaring women,unfortunately that is prohibitively expensive and cannot happen. This is why transgender people will never get legal job discrimination protections because of issues like this.

News Update. A state Representative in Midland Mi. now says that the Planet Fitness policy threatens the safety of women.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/in...et_fitnes.html

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-09-2015 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
The hell kind of gym are you going to? I just filled out a form and gave some payment info at mine.
I downloaded the generic PF membership application. No where on it does it allow someone to check something other than Male or Female. It also states that 16 year old can use the gym without parental supervision. My daughter will be 16 shortly. Guys leer at her. If my child were to utilize this gym, I would be very concerned that someone with less than honest intentions feels like they're a woman.

Quote:
These "accommodations" seem pretty lopsided. One simply wanted to check out the gym as a potential customer and used the locker room to hang up her coat and purse. The other requires that another person be barred from the gym's facilities. I don't know about you, but I'm not very accommodating of bigotry.
How is this lopsided? It's ok that he didn't want to be made to feel uncomfortable hanging his belongings in the men's locker room, but it isn't ok that a woman be made uncomfortable by someone (who admitted to the press he looks manly from behind) who is in her locker room?

If PF wants to be truly 'judgement free' they need to offer a coed locker room.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:22 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Okay this is the issue for me. I believe in facing reality in life. It does nobody any good to live in denial. A man who identifies with being a woman but who has male parts is still in a male body. The reality is he is a woman in a man's body he is not somehow totally a woman, but if as you say he actually still likes having male parts how can he even consider himself completely a woman ? No woman has male parts. Why shouldn't he just be himself and accept himself for who he is? He is not completely a woman all he has to do is look down to see that. That is the reality that we can all see and you cannot. He will never be truly happy and at peace until he accepts reality and stops pretending his male body does not exist and he is somehow completely female, but things can change in life and if he gets a full sex change then his reality can change also. It is up to him. Until then there is no reason he cannot use the men's room while being a woman in a man's body, since despite his inner feelings he still does have a man's body. That is reality.
First of all, your simplistic views are childlike. Are women who like having sex with strap-on dildos not completely female? They like having a penis so they can't be all woman, right? And wouldn't they be much happier if they just stopped doing what made them happy?
The reality of the situation is that you have no understanding of the situation and obviously don't feel like you need to understand it before spouting a bunch of nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
In a perfect world we would have 4 different changing rooms. A room for He, a room for She, a room for He/She, and a room for She/He because men in transition to becoming women would probably feel more comfortable with other men in transition to becoming a woman . That way they do not have to worry about being beat up by men or scaring women,unfortunately that is prohibitively expensive and cannot happen. This is why transgender people will never get legal job discrimination protections because of issues like this.
Separate but equal? What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I downloaded the generic PF membership application. No where on it does it allow someone to check something other than Male or Female.
Why would people who see themselves as a specific gender check some other box?

Quote:
It also states that 16 year old can use the gym without parental supervision. My daughter will be 16 shortly. Guys leer at her. If my child were to utilize this gym, I would be very concerned that someone with less than honest intentions feels like they're a woman.
Your daughter is about as likely to be hit by lightning twice in the same day as she is to be sexually assaulted by a transgender woman. You should be worrying about the straight men she may encounter, not the trans women.

Quote:
How is this lopsided? It's ok that he didn't want to be made to feel uncomfortable hanging his belongings in the men's locker room, but it isn't ok that a woman be made uncomfortable by someone (who admitted to the press he looks manly from behind) who is in her locker room?
One person hung up a coat and purse in a locker, the other person lost their mind over it. I tend to side with reasonable people, not people who flip out because of insignificant things.

Quote:
If PF wants to be truly 'judgement free' they need to offer a coed locker room.
OK, how would that alleviate the concern that so many of you have about a trans person or "fake" trans person assaulting women in the locker room?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:00 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
According to news stories the gym has private changing stalls. If people are changing behind a closed door, how is anyone going to see anything?

Planet Fitness kicks out member for complaints against transgender woman
Or better yet, how will others know for "sure without a doubt" the sex of anyone using a private changing stall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events