Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 06:46 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I agree.
It turns out the man wasn't even a member of Planet Fitness. He was there as a guest of a member. Was he vetted the was a member would have been? Did he fill out the same forms and meet their requirements?
The hell kind of gym are you going to? I just filled out a form and gave some payment info at mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There's a double standard here. Why was it acceptable for the transgendered man to be accommodated in a way he felt comfortable, but when the woman expected the same accommodations for her comfort, her membership was revoked? In essence, didn't PF just pass judgement on her?
These "accommodations" seem pretty lopsided. One simply wanted to check out the gym as a potential customer and used the locker room to hang up her coat and purse. The other requires that another person be barred from the gym's facilities. I don't know about you, but I'm not very accommodating of bigotry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I do understand that I did not use the terminology that the transgender community prefers but to me this trans male person will not be a transgender "woman" until he fully completes a sex change operation and no longer has his male parts, until then while I am sympathetic to his situation and that he is in transition I feel he is still too much a man to be called a woman. He needs to fully complete his transition but earn the full use of the word woman by me. That is my opinion about it. And what is the whole point of having separate changing rooms if men and women are not kept separate?

The issue you raised of segregation is unique in America . Blacks in the south were slaves and then were free but still had to fight to be seen as equal, because of that history. In the north where slavery never happened there was no segregation of the type you mentioned.
Holy crap, do you actually believe that? I suggest you do some research before making such ignorant statements. I was going to criticize you for your narrow minded, absolutist views of transgenderism but there's really no point.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:04 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Respectfully, what is to prevent some perverted heterosexual man from putting on some lipstick and possibly a wig and some gender-neutral sweats, and then going into Planet Fitness and stating that he was transgender, with the idea of getting his "jollies" from seeing a woman in a state of undress? Actually, this might be a possibility ANYWHERE, but I think it would be more likely in a place with a very open policy towards people who are transgender.

I want to be clear that I have no problem with former males (or females) who have changed sex, but I just think that until surgery has been completed, they should use changing facilities that correspond with their current genitalia. And if they have to "hide" the fact that they are transgender, I would think their own concern for their personal safety would outweigh their need (and, yes, right!) to proclaim their true identity. Yes, I know it is not comfortable for anyone to hide who they truly are, but even so-called straight people do it all the time -- with their in-laws, bosses, etc. And, yes, I do know that is very hypocritical, but it is a fact of modern life for most people.

Again, that is just my opinion, and I know that others DO have the right to disagree with me!

Old 03-08-2015, 09:10 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I read everything you wrote and find it meritless. I reject your premise. The opposition to ending segregation hinged on "public safety." The argument was that blacks couldn't be trusted to interact so closely with the more civilized whites. Guess what? That argument failed and so does yours.

A transgender man is someone who was a born a woman but transitions/is transitioning to a man. Your misuse of the terminology aside, see my statement above.

It's not about banning trannies from being in public interacting with and being in the gym on the damn treadmill next to me for all I care, it's about allowing MEN into the WOMENS restroom. I doubt the trannies themselves would be molesting anyone but there are too many pervs out there who would abuse the system. And of course you find all the legitimate concerns I posted because you are ignorant and hard headed and think only YOU can have a correct opinion and claim everyone else is a bigot.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I do understand that I did not use the terminology that the transgender community prefers but to me this trans male person will not be a transgender "woman" until he fully completes a sex change operation and no longer has his male parts, until then while I am sympathetic to his situation and that he is in transition I feel he is still too much a man to be called a woman. He needs to fully complete his transition to earn the full use of the word woman by me. That is my opinion about it. And what is the whole point of having separate changing rooms if men and women are not kept separate?

The issue you raised of segregation is unique in America . Blacks in the south were slaves and then were free but still had to fight to be seen as equal, because of that history. In the north where slavery never happened there was no segregation of the type you mentioned.

This clown bends the truth to fit their agenda don't bother trying to reason with them.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:23 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times
this is to funny

Old 03-08-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Respectfully, what is to prevent some perverted heterosexual man from putting on some lipstick and possibly a wig and some gender-neutral sweats, and then going into Planet Fitness and stating that he was transgender, with the idea of getting his "jollies" from seeing a woman in a state of undress? Actually, this might be a possibility ANYWHERE, but I think it would be more likely in a place with a very open policy towards people who are transgender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
It's not about banning trannies from being in public interacting with and being in the gym on the damn treadmill next to me for all I care, it's about allowing MEN into the WOMENS restroom. I doubt the trannies themselves would be molesting anyone but there are too many pervs out there who would abuse the system. And of course you find all the legitimate concerns I posted because you are ignorant and hard headed and think only YOU can have a correct opinion and claim everyone else is a bigot.
What's to stop a perverted gay man from doing this in a men's locker room? Or a perverted lesbian from doing it in a women's locker room? Singling out one group of people on the grounds of ifs and maybes is called discrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I want to be clear that I have no problem with former males (or females) who have changed sex, but I just think that until surgery has been completed, they should use changing facilities that correspond with their current genitalia. And if they have to "hide" the fact that they are transgender, I would think their own concern for their personal safety would outweigh their need (and, yes, right!) to proclaim their true identity. Yes, I know it is not comfortable for anyone to hide who they truly are, but even so-called straight people do it all the time -- with their in-laws, bosses, etc. And, yes, I do know that is very hypocritical, but it is a fact of modern life for most people.
Again, that is just my opinion, and I know that others DO have the right to disagree with me!
Not every trans woman wants to have their penis removed. It's not just a matter of surgery. It changes your life in about 1000 ways, not the least of which being reduced pleasure from sex. And some trans women just like having a penis. You're still trying to assign binary gender identity in the face of complexities that render your views inapplicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
this is to funny
This is to funny what?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
What's to stop a perverted gay man from doing this in a men's locker room? Or a perverted lesbian from doing it in a women's locker room? Singling out one group of people on the grounds of ifs and maybes is called discrimination.

Not every trans woman wants to have their penis removed. It's not just a matter of surgery. It changes your life in about 1000 ways, not the least of which being reduced pleasure from sex. And some trans women just like having a penis. You're still trying to assign binary gender identity in the face of complexities that render your views inapplicable.

This is to funny what?

And you enabling people to take advantage of others is called STUPID.

why do we put sex offenders on registries and track them? singling out one group of people on the grounds of ifs and maybes is called discrimination.

If the trans doesn't want to cut his dingaling off and become 100 % woman then he is a dude and can use the mens locker room.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
And you enabling people to take advantage of others is called STUPID.
Who's the stupid one here? You let fear rule you. I choose freedom and good will.

Quote:
why do we put sex offenders on registries and track them? singling out one group of people on the grounds of ifs and maybes is called discrimination.
Sex offenders have to break laws to be sex offenders.

Quote:
If the trans doesn't want to cut his dingaling off and become 100 % woman then he is a dude and can use the mens locker room.
Well fortunately for the trans community that's not up to you.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Who's the stupid one here? You let fear rule you. I choose freedom and good will.

Sex offenders have to break laws to be sex offenders.

Well fortunately for the trans community that's not up to you.

Well unfortunately this world isn't perfect you need some precautions.

Sex offenders broke the law served their time why put them on registries on ifs and maybes. Is that living in fear or doing what you can to prevent people from being preyed upon.

Fortunately for most of the community people are required to use the correct facilities to reduce any possible abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events