Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 09:29 AM

82 posts, read 64,521 times

Advertisements

I recently left my gym. It was just getting too crowded for me and I was the only one wearing a mask. Plus people were just being gross, example, someone wiping their nose with their hand and then using the treadmill and then not wiping down the machine when finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 09:35 AM

1,157 posts, read 634,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbienj View Post
I recently left my gym. It was just getting too crowded for me and I was the only one wearing a mask. Plus people were just being gross, example, someone wiping their nose with their hand and then using the treadmill and then not wiping down the machine when finished.
THIS is exactly how you should approach it.

How crowded is the gym, how roomy and how well is it ventilated?

I workout regularly and it's part of my life, but I will not goto a crowded indoor gym where ppl are sweating and breathing so heavily... the worse conditions possible.

I have elderly parents who have health problems, and I can't afford to catch Covid and possibly transmit to them when I visit with groceries, etc.

Get a few dumbbells and just workout at home... safe, no fees, no travel

Old 07-05-2022, 01:12 PM

22,403 posts, read 29,516,848 times
I haven't worn a mask in months. I did wear it when it was mandated and then stopped and started again when it was getting heavy around here.

But I do see people wearing them and that's their decision. I have no issues with it

Old 07-05-2022, 01:32 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,666,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
My elderly mom (87) recently got covid (we have it too now...luckily vaccinated...still sucks big time!). Has been doing outside aerobics 3x/week since pandemic started while they were building new inside gym last few years. She just started inside last week first time (nobody had masks)...I think she caught covid there. Going to make her wear mask from now on (she doesn't want to be only one with mask), or may find another gym where elderly can still do aerobics outside which I feel is much safer. Will see if outside aerobics option still possible where she is at..she said windows not even open in new inside aerobics room either?! Going to have a talk with aerobics teacher and Management pronto! Definitely wear mask inside to minimize your risk regardless of what others are doing!
Update...just checked out "new" low ceiling, no window, stuffy aerobics room...terrible!! Cannot have unmasked people in there without ventilation?!...no wonder she (and bro and myself) got covid! Pulling mom out...looking into YMCA and some outside yoga stuff now! If indoors, needs to have very high ceilings and very good ventilation (hepa filters?) with windows preferably open! At least we are recovering from covid well...will have to look at other alternatives for mom! Anybody know of (preferably outside) aerobics/yoga stuff for the elderly...would feel most comfortable if outside!

Old 07-05-2022, 07:43 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,519,020 times
I have been going to the Y since covid started, I haven't worn a mask in many months. I just got covid, I got it either at the Y, the grocery store or Target. I have been wiping down each machine I use before and after with the wet wipes they supply. On Sunday I noticed that the Y put up new signs that ask you to wipe the equipment down with wet wipes before and after use so maybe people are reporting that they are getting covid there? I tested positive yesterday (Monday).

Old 07-05-2022, 08:35 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,441,126 times
You have to be an idiot to work out in the gym without a mask these days. Better to learn self motivation and do it yourself at home or outdoors. All it takes is a little discipline and knowledge. You don't need a gym for that.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,668,043 times
SanyBelle, I hope you are feeling ok. Fisherman, really scary with your elderly mom. All, thanks for your thoughts about gyms. During the last year, I bought an exercise bike and have been using it a few times per week at home. I now have new insurance that entitles me to free gym membership and thought I would try the Zumba class which I used to do religiously at other gyms pre-Covid. I was shocked at how packed this new class was --- about 55 people in a large room. Ceilings are high but there is no ventilation. The teacher was great and it was a great workout and I did the class masked. Assuming I did continue with the mask (being the only one wearing one), I am wondering how much of a risk this is, given my age of 65. These are intense, enthusiastic intermediate level classes. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,668,043 times
Sanybelle, since you could have gotten Covid from the Y, is this going to stop you from going back?

Old 07-05-2022, 10:18 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,666,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Update...just checked out "new" low ceiling, no window, stuffy aerobics room...terrible!! Cannot have unmasked people in there without ventilation?!...no wonder she (and bro and myself) got covid! Pulling mom out...looking into YMCA and some outside yoga stuff now! If indoors, needs to have very high ceilings and very good ventilation (hepa filters?) with windows preferably open! At least we are recovering from covid well...will have to look at other alternatives for mom! Anybody know of (preferably outside) aerobics/yoga stuff for the elderly...would feel most comfortable if outside!
Mom still likes to do some organized structured group workouts (even a very small group) as hard to stay motivated on her own...looked around and found an outside "yoga on the beach" morning thing which is much safer...pulling her out of her club (bummer as she's been there forever...another gym mate fessed up that she had covid in that class...Gotta have great ventilation with very high ceilings if indoors and outdoors best!

Old 07-05-2022, 11:22 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,425,459 times
I'm 36 and a bit chubby. Very active, no health issues. I'm vaccinated and boosted. At the time, I worked for a hospital system, so had dibs on vaccines.

I started going back to the local YMCA in 6/2020, when it reopened. I left that gym, going to the Planet Fitness instead, but that was more due to issues with the local YMCA and its cost, rather than any COVID concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness