Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 09:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,698,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena727 View Post
Thanks to all for the replies.
I'm Greek so I follow a Mediterranean diet, and I go vegan Wed/Fri.
I am not a huge eater. I don't really eat junk food and I might splurge on chocolates every now and then, with a 2x a week cup of ice cream during the summer. I don't diet because I feel I don't need to, and that predominately I'm a small portion eater.

I still hesitate to join a gym because of the lingering covid going on, so I have invested in gym equipment. I have an elliptical and a treadmill that I mostly use in the winter.

I meant to say when I have the time and energy, I will do a 45 min to an hour workout 2x a day, not two hours straight.
I'll go with the suggestion of three 10-12 reps per exercise...but for how long until increasing the weight - a week? Or two? I've invested in a few 2.5 - 5 round weight plates that I can slowly stack. And a number of resistant bands. I don't want to bulk up but I would like a toned and firm arm.
I wouldn't worry about your weight and diet. Your lifestyle seems to be working.

Regarding joining a gym, I workout in a YMCA where I rarely come within 10 feet of another person. Yes, there are some gym where the equipment is close and some that have busy periods usually the after work crowd.

Quote:
Also, what is your opinion on the fairlife protein powder milk shakes every now and then for post work out 'snack.' Is it something to try?
I have protein powder, but it is not necessary. It can be good as a meal replacement or when you have an urge to eat junk food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 09:43 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,101,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Following this. Marci, what do you refer to by "diet" specifically? What types of foods? Are you suggesting possible weight loss to the OP?
“Tone” implies the desire to have more visible/defined muscle, which implies the need for low bodyfat, so that the muscle is indeed more visible and defined. The alternative is to have the muscle covered by a thick layer of fat, and thus not as visible or defined.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:52 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
Thanks to all for the replies.
I'm Greek so I follow a Mediterranean diet, and I go vegan Wed/Fri.
I am not a huge eater. I don't really eat junk food and I might splurge on chocolates every now and then, with a 2x a week cup of ice cream during the summer. I don't diet because I feel I don't need to, and that predominately I'm a small portion eater.

I still hesitate to join a gym because of the lingering covid going on, so I have invested in gym equipment. I have an elliptical and a treadmill that I mostly use in the winter.

I meant to say when I have the time and energy, I will do a 45 min to an hour workout 2x a day, not two hours straight.
I'll go with the suggestion of three 10-12 reps per exercise...but for how long until increasing the weight - a week? Or two? I've invested in a few 2.5 - 5 round weight plates that I can slowly stack. And a number of resistant bands. I don't want to bulk up but I would like a toned and firm arm.
This is the vital secret: You have to hit your limit. Each time you exercise a muscle, you have to hit the point that you can't lift that weight again with proper form. It's the last couple of repetitions up to that point that stimulates growth. That's called "technical failure."

There are a lot of ways to get to that point: High weight, low rep; low weight, high rep; "drop sets," whatever. Lots of different combinations. But one way or another, that last set should end with you really struggling to get through the last couple of repetitions with proper form. That's the most important point. And I mean seriously struggle; only you will know whether you're being honest with yourself about that.

The second point that seems to be very significant in studies and experience is "time under tension." What that means is that each set should take about 40 seconds or so to complete the reps.

That's where, sorta by accident of experience, the advice of an 8-12 rep set comes from. Try a weight for each exercise that takes you about 40 seconds to complete 8-12 reps, and by the end of three sets (with two minutes of rest between sets), the last couple of reps of the last set should be a struggle. At your age as a woman, you should be able to do that exercise twice a week.

You should expect to see results in a month or so...you'll be able to complete those last few reps without much trouble. Then you can either increase the weight or add reps up to 15. By the time you can do 15 reps without much trouble, increase the weight. It's usually a waste of time to go beyond 15 reps. An exception would be if you're working back after an injury, in which case you're work with lighter weights and higher reps...but the end goal would still be to reach as struggle with the last reps of the last set.

As someone has already mentioned, concentrate on compound exercises that work several cooperating muscles at once, like bench presses (or pushups), squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, and such. Don't worry about isolation exercises...probably not for the first year.

If you're having wrist problems with pushups, put a couple of hexagonal dumbbells on the floor and use those as grips, or get a set of "Perfect Pushup" floor grips. Increase the effort of pushups by raising your feet on a platform, like a step or a bench.

And as someone has already mentioned, as a woman you don't need to worry about getting bulky. It won't happen unless you "enhance" your body chemistry and do other things.

Back in the early 80s, the women winning Miss Olympia--unenhanced by steroids and growth hormones--would be called "fitness models" today, despite the fact that they worked extremely hard and dieted severely. Here is Rachel McLish at the size she won Miss Olympia. This is what a professional woman bodybuilder looks like without "enhancements."

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 07-28-2022 at 10:01 PM..

Old 07-29-2022, 06:33 AM

6,480 posts, read 4,011,927 times
Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into it!!
I just meant I still want to look feminine and not too muscular, but you are correct about the bulkiness since I am not a man and I don't intend to use steroids!
You will always look "feminine" because you're a woman-- and yes, "feminine" and "strong" are not mutually-exclusive. Again, you're not going to be training for bodybuilding contests, so you'll be fine.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:24 PM

41 posts, read 41,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is the vital secret: You have to hit your limit. Each time you exercise a muscle, you have to hit the point that you can't lift that weight again with proper form. It's the last couple of repetitions up to that point that stimulates growth. That's called "technical failure."

There are a lot of ways to get to that point: High weight, low rep; low weight, high rep; "drop sets," whatever. Lots of different combinations. But one way or another, that last set should end with you really struggling to get through the last couple of repetitions with proper form. That's the most important point. And I mean seriously struggle; only you will know whether you're being honest with yourself about that.

The second point that seems to be very significant in studies and experience is "time under tension." What that means is that each set should take about 40 seconds or so to complete the reps.

That's where, sorta by accident of experience, the advice of an 8-12 rep set comes from. Try a weight for each exercise that takes you about 40 seconds to complete 8-12 reps, and by the end of three sets (with two minutes of rest between sets), the last couple of reps of the last set should be a struggle. At your age as a woman, you should be able to do that exercise twice a week.

You should expect to see results in a month or so...you'll be able to complete those last few reps without much trouble. Then you can either increase the weight or add reps up to 15. By the time you can do 15 reps without much trouble, increase the weight. It's usually a waste of time to go beyond 15 reps. An exception would be if you're working back after an injury, in which case you're work with lighter weights and higher reps...but the end goal would still be to reach as struggle with the last reps of the last set.

As someone has already mentioned, concentrate on compound exercises that work several cooperating muscles at once, like bench presses (or pushups), squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, and such. Don't worry about isolation exercises...probably not for the first year.

If you're having wrist problems with pushups, put a couple of hexagonal dumbbells on the floor and use those as grips, or get a set of "Perfect Pushup" floor grips. Increase the effort of pushups by raising your feet on a platform, like a step or a bench.

And as someone has already mentioned, as a woman you don't need to worry about getting bulky. It won't happen unless you "enhance" your body chemistry and do other things.

Back in the early 80s, the women winning Miss Olympia--unenhanced by steroids and growth hormones--would be called "fitness models" today, despite the fact that they worked extremely hard and dieted severely. Here is Rachel McLish at the size she won Miss Olympia. This is what a professional woman bodybuilder looks like without "enhancements."
Thank you so much for the elaborate info. I'll take your suggestions and see what happens!

Old 07-29-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
You will always look "feminine" because you're a woman-- and yes, "feminine" and "strong" are not mutually-exclusive. Again, you're not going to be training for bodybuilding contests, so you'll be fine.
Sounds good!!

Old 07-29-2022, 06:29 PM

Also, I wanted to ask - when sitting and doing arm curls or any weight lifting, I keep my back straight and legs out in a 90 degree form - and as I do I am contracting my abs. Is this correct?

Old 07-29-2022, 08:48 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
Also, I wanted to ask - when sitting and doing arm curls or any weight lifting, I keep my back straight and legs out in a 90 degree form - and as I do I am contracting my abs. Is this correct?
Always contract your abs and keep your back straight with every exercise. I don't worry too much about my knees, except for exercises that put weight on them.

If you're doing any kind of squats, turn your toes outward and make sure your knees point in the same direction as your toes ("knees over toes"). How far outward will depend on what's most comfortable for you.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:07 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,429,714 times
No such thing as toning.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:36 AM

22,674 posts, read 24,660,350 times
You can do a workout that is challenging, adding more weight and less reps, and you will not get anything like many of the people you see on fitness and bodybuilding videos.

These people do all sorts of "things' to make themselves huge with very low bodyfat.

The average person working-out with weights will look nothing like
"enhanced" folks.......think The Rock, that dude is a perfect example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness