Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 08:29 PM

41 posts, read 41,177 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm 5'4 and weigh 118 pds. I just started to lift weights for toning and core. That's all I do, no cardio. I'm 42 years old. I would like to achieve toned upper arms. I love the bicep on a man which I think is a huge turn-on. I also want to achieve a relatively muscular bicep/upper arm, but obviously maintain a feminine look to my arms.

I would like to know, what would be an ideal regime to follow in order to achieve that look. How often do I increase the weights in my workout? Do I rather stick with the same weight with increased repetition?

I must say a few years ago, I suffered a few bad falls that led to wrist tendonitis. So after a cortisone shot, my left wrist is fine, whereas my right wrist does have some inflammation so I do experience some pain. I have found a pair of great wrist wraps that I wear which help tremendously. I still find push ups a bit painful.

I've been at this work out for 2 months now. So from my 5 pound dumbbells, I have gone to 10 pounds. I do bicep curls and hammer curls. I also use resistant bands for triceps. I can also lift a barbell with 10 pds on each side (20 pds total.) I can do 3 sets of 30 on that. I've seen my bicep get bigger when I flex, but when my arm is down and relaxed, I can't see that 'V' I would like to have.

What I would like to know is, what's a good rep amount for steady progress? I would like to achieve that 'V' look on the upper arm for example. What do you recommend?

So far, the heaviest weight is a 10 pd dumbbell that I do 2 sets of 20 curls with, and on days I have time, I can do 2 hr work outs. I usually do 45 min workouts, 5-6 days weekly.

I lift mostly sitting with my back straight and chest out. I only stand for the barbell lifts. I'm worried about pelvic problems women can get with lifting so I have read sitting is best. I definitely don't want those issues!

Advice would be appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 10:15 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,104,462 times
You’ll actually find that diet is most important, and if you lift as heavy as you can while not over-eating, you’ll look great. 3 sets of 10-12 reps is fairly typical. Lifting a lot of lighter weights won’t necessarily grow muscle so you might not reach that look you’re after

Old 07-28-2022, 10:39 AM

10,372 posts, read 10,728,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena727 View Post
Hi,

Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm 5'4 and weigh 118 pds. I just started to lift weights for toning and core. That's all I do, no cardio. I'm 42 years old. I would like to achieve toned upper arms. I love the bicep on a man which I think is a huge turn-on. I also want to achieve a relatively muscular bicep/upper arm, but obviously maintain a feminine look to my arms.

I would like to know, what would be an ideal regime to follow in order to achieve that look. How often do I increase the weights in my workout? Do I rather stick with the same weight with increased repetition?

I must say a few years ago, I suffered a few bad falls that led to wrist tendonitis. So after a cortisone shot, my left wrist is fine, whereas my right wrist does have some inflammation so I do experience some pain. I have found a pair of great wrist wraps that I wear which help tremendously. I still find push ups a bit painful.

I've been at this work out for 2 months now. So from my 5 pound dumbbells, I have gone to 10 pounds. I do bicep curls and hammer curls. I also use resistant bands for triceps. I can also lift a barbell with 10 pds on each side (20 pds total.) I can do 3 sets of 30 on that. I've seen my bicep get bigger when I flex, but when my arm is down and relaxed, I can't see that 'V' I would like to have.

What I would like to know is, what's a good rep amount for steady progress? I would like to achieve that 'V' look on the upper arm for example. What do you recommend?

So far, the heaviest weight is a 10 pd dumbbell that I do 2 sets of 20 curls with, and on days I have time, I can do 2 hr work outs. I usually do 45 min workouts, 5-6 days weekly.

I lift mostly sitting with my back straight and chest out. I only stand for the barbell lifts. I'm worried about pelvic problems women can get with lifting so I have read sitting is best. I definitely don't want those issues!

Advice would be appreciated, thank you!
I agree with Marci's recommendation of "3 sets of 10-12 reps." Once you can do 12 reps, you want to increase the weight. It will become difficult to do that with dumbbells at home. Have you looked at a gym where you will have access to more weights and weightlifting machines?

A two hour workout is much too long. That would even be too long if you would do both cardio and weightlifting.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:10 AM

9,489 posts, read 8,477,869 times
You're never going to get toned without cardio and a good diet. You can lift weights until you're blue in the face but if you don't burn calories/fat and eat a healthy diet, you'll never seen the results you're looking for.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:14 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,884,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
You’ll actually find that diet is most important, and if you lift as heavy as you can while not over-eating, you’ll look great. 3 sets of 10-12 reps is fairly typical. Lifting a lot of lighter weights won’t necessarily grow muscle so you might not reach that look you’re after

Following this. Marci, what do you refer to by "diet" specifically? What types of foods? Are you suggesting possible weight loss to the OP?

Old 07-28-2022, 11:24 AM

10,372 posts, read 10,728,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You're never going to get toned without cardio and a good diet. You can lift weights until you're blue in the face but if you don't burn calories/fat and eat a healthy diet, you'll never seen the results you're looking for.
Keep in mind that she is 5'4" and 118 lbs. Her BMI is 20.3, and I'm estimating her body fat is around 21%, which would be excellent for her fitness level and age.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:49 PM

6,509 posts, read 4,042,147 times
Your arms will never look like a man's unless you take steroids and are power lifting. Forget "toning"-- that's a buzzword people use for women like you who are afraid they're going to come out looking like Ahnold. Just build muscle. You'll be fine.

Stronglifts 5x5 is the program that I can think of off the top of my head, but there are many others and they're all basically the same thing. Use the compound lifts-- deadlift, bench press, pullups, rows, overhead press, etc.-- and make it hard for yourself (while still maintaining good form).

Try Redefining Strength: https://redefiningstrength.com/

Old 07-28-2022, 08:07 PM

Thanks to all for the replies.
I'm Greek so I follow a Mediterranean diet, and I go vegan Wed/Fri.
I am not a huge eater. I don't really eat junk food and I might splurge on chocolates every now and then, with a 2x a week cup of ice cream during the summer. I don't diet because I feel I don't need to, and that predominately I'm a small portion eater.

I still hesitate to join a gym because of the lingering covid going on, so I have invested in gym equipment. I have an elliptical and a treadmill that I mostly use in the winter.

I meant to say when I have the time and energy, I will do a 45 min to an hour workout 2x a day, not two hours straight.
I'll go with the suggestion of three 10-12 reps per exercise...but for how long until increasing the weight - a week? Or two? I've invested in a few 2.5 - 5 round weight plates that I can slowly stack. And a number of resistant bands. I don't want to bulk up but I would like a toned and firm arm.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Your arms will never look like a man's unless you take steroids and are power lifting. Forget "toning"-- that's a buzzword people use for women like you who are afraid they're going to come out looking like Ahnold. Just build muscle. You'll be fine.

Stronglifts 5x5 is the program that I can think of off the top of my head, but there are many others and they're all basically the same thing. Use the compound lifts-- deadlift, bench press, pullups, rows, overhead press, etc.-- and make it hard for yourself (while still maintaining good form).

Try Redefining Strength: https://redefiningstrength.com/
Thanks, I'll look into it!!
I just meant I still want to look feminine and not too muscular, but you are correct about the bulkiness since I am not a man and I don't intend to use steroids!

Old 07-28-2022, 08:25 PM

Also, what is your opinion on the fairlife protein powder milk shakes every now and then for post work out 'snack.' Is it something to try?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness