Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 09:59 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Unless you are very, very careful about being "active" and still being at rest.

I use a heart rate monitor to gauge that. After decades of using a heart rate monitor in my cardio (since the years I was an avid road cyclist), I know what "exercise" looks like to my heart. I may get on the elliptical or go for a walk on a "rest" day, but I keep my heartrate well below the "exercise" level.

And I don't do anything other than that very light cardio on a "rest" day.
Well, yeah. Nothing wrong with something like walking or bike riding every day. I tried an elliptical once but it just didn't feel right for me.

Last edited by Michael Way; 02-21-2023 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 10:05 AM

200 posts, read 109,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I work out now. Nothing crazy--I lift twice a week (only for 30 mins, I don't max), I walk ALOT and I do hard sprints 2-3 times a week. I rest completely on weekends, but during the week I"m working out every day essentially. So I'm wondering if this is sustainable into my 40s and beyond. How much training is 'overtraining' and is working out more than 2-3 days a week overall sustainable? Not like powerlifting or maxing out but just going in for moderate strength exercise 2-3 times a week.

I'm thinking in terms of physiology and lifestyle what's reasonable and advisable for older people. I do have a couple of questions:

*Should only athletes or Hollywood actors/actresses with personal trainers be training hard at all? Bear with me for how basic this question is, but what I'm getting at is how safely we can push ourselves without guidance.

* Is overtraining a real thing or do most of us (including me!) flatter ourselves at how hard we are actually working out? I've seen it put that many men overthink overtraining but underthink the small stuff like warmup, stretching and sleep.

* It sounds counterintuitive, but how can regular exercise for older folks be good? Doesn't it introduce wear and tear to your body?

* Is sprinting, running or HIIT possible without injury?

* Do low impact habits like walking or yoga matter at all for general wellness health alertness and strength?

But more generally curious to hear from those that are 50+ and exercise regularly but also enjoy it and find that it adds to their life. How you're able to keep fitness and exercise into your routine in a sustainable way and if you have made any changes along the way?
About 2 years ago I was doing breakdancing 3 times a week. But when I skipped classes and came a week later, I could work out almost twice as long.

I don't do regular sports now, especially since my leg is hurting, but I did go for a bike ride with a fitness instructor this summer. After a few hours of riding, he was tired, and I didn't even think about getting tired. He was only 2 years older than me.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:09 AM

578 posts, read 301,297 times
Default Answer is it depends.

My mom is 99 and walks daily as she has since she was 30. She now walks about a mile, outdoors when weather is ok but in Walmart etc if bad. She use to walk a good mile 5 days a week. Now it’s more like 2 or 3 a week. She is not as steady so walks in doors on a smooth surface now.

I drove 4 adults on a 6 week vacation out west when I retired. 4 adults were ladies and required a bathroom stop every couple of hours. Mom would walk circles around the gas station while business was handled. A man thought something was wrong with mom as an 85 year old lady circled the station a good number of times. I overheard and cleared up the concern.

One other story my dad and 2 brothers would play golf on vacations, mom wasn’t a golfer but would walk behind us weaving across the fairway when we stopped to hit shots or putt. She was getting 3 to 5 miles in iom those excursions.

So it depends on genetics, how much you took care of your body over your life and motivation. Hopefully mom’s story inspires you as it has many others. Good luck and enjoy..

Old 02-21-2023, 10:22 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
But for those of us who do we don't atrophy like you lazy slugs.
Ahhh gosh, I don't know what to say. I will go take my atrophied self, stand in the hot shower and weep.

Anyhow, my next planned rest day is Friday. It kinda sorta varies depending on the workout cycle. We slackers operate a little differently than you super people.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I stayed with a hunter and gatherer tribe.
Was this a pack of wolves? Lions, cheetahs?

This is something folks do everyday. You must not have a job.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:54 AM

574 posts, read 267,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Your body absolutely needs rest. That's why you get tired. That's why you need to sleep. The body recuperates during periods of rest. Overtraining results from not allowing your body to fully recover from your previous workouts. I'm 69. Yesterday I did heavy leg presses going over 1000 lbs for 8 reps with good range of motion. It will be at least 6 days, and perhaps 7 or 8 days before I'm ready to do leg presses again. If I didn't allow for sufficient rest I would be setting myself up for injury.

Sure, something like walking or riding a bike can be done everyday, but anything which breaks down muscle tissue such as heavy weight training requires periods of rest which is when the muscles grow.
No one is saying do legs two days in a row, though there is nothing wrong with that for seasoned lifters.

M: Chest/triceps/shoulders/some abs
Tu: Back/deadlifts/rear delts/biceps/some abs
W: Clean press/military press/triceps/some abs
Th: Back/deadlifts/rear delts/biceps/some abs
F: chest/triceps/shoulders/some abs
Sat: Squats/lunges/leg press/some abs
Sun: no weight room but I still bike/swim/walk extensively.

This will be my focus for the next 2 months. After 2 months I will switch to hit another muscle group. Even with 2 hours, 6 days in a week, I don't get to hit every muscle group the way I'd like.

This 2 months, in case you cannot tell, I'm focusing on shoulders/triceps. Last 2 months it was chest/triceps and maybe next 2 months it will be back/biceps.

Last edited by FlBeachIguana; 02-21-2023 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-21-2023, 10:56 AM

574 posts, read 267,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Was this a pack of wolves? Lions, cheetahs?

This is something folks do everyday. You must not have a job.
It was with the Aka people in CAR and Masai in Tanzania. I retired @50, before I started and sold 3 different businesses.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:28 AM

Just a regular petunia here. With a regular career, living the regular life. With a regular (athletic based) workout routine and regular days off.

Regular stuff.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:58 PM

10,548 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
They do? I stayed with a hunter and gatherer tribe. They go out looking for food and hunting everyday, and there are many activities in camp they need to do everyday. I never once saw them rest the entire day.
Hunter gatherers have more leisure time than farmers, so they spend a lot of time sitting around.

Yes, they are more active in general than us grocery getters are but their activity is mostly walking. Not much time doing the equivalent of pumping iron or HIIT.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:24 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Getting to this thread late but I’m approaching 64 and hit the gym 5x/week…about 20-25 minutes of cardio followed by weights. I developed a slight shoulder impingement several years ago and have used lighter weights since then. Also walk an average of 5 miles daily (not all at once). Probably have the body of a very fit 30-40YO…if I ever get motivated to swim, my condo has a great lap pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness