Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 01:35 PM

613 posts, read 1,019,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
ask Jane Fonda,she prefers to have sex instead
Traitor b****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 06:27 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,789,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't know if that says more good about the older men or less good about the younger men.

I was there to watch the very first Iron Man competition in Honolulu back in 1978.
The Hawaii Iron Man is the ultimate for athletes and spectators alike. This one today is our first in Juneau, Alaska. 50 of the top competitors will qualify for the Kona Iron Man later this year.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:59 PM

28,685 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
The Hawaii Iron Man is the ultimate for athletes and spectators alike. This one today is our first in Juneau, Alaska. 50 of the top competitors will qualify for the Kona Iron Man later this year.
I think there were like 12 people in the first one.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:40 PM

17,257 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
It comes down how much you're willing to push yourself. Over the course of the pandemic I developed a bad habit of drinking 3-5 tallboys (24oz cans) daily. I mean cheap beer. Natty Daddys , OE 800, etc. Once I hit about 250 (6'8 lean & lanky frame) and got called out for carrying a few extra pounds. I kicked it into high gear. I purchased a treadmill and started using it at least 3 days a week (32 mins 4.3 mph-10% incline). Since I work from home M-W-F I curl with a 75lb straight bar (10 sets /180-200 reps) on my lunch break. The real kicker is that I started rucking again. Usually 4-5miles 3-4 days a week with the military standard of 15min/mile. Nothing too heavy (35lbs). Over the last week I've shaved about 4-5 mins off my total. Today was 5 miles/64:10. In the last month I've dropped 15lbs. Confidence has definitely increased. I'll turn 47 in December.
LOL! Yeah that pandemic hit hard. I'm mid-late 30s, and had a similar situation. I've always been VERY fit -- star athlete growing up, and carried that fitness level well into my adult years... until... I went from working in an office building that had a full-equipped gym in the basement, where I could get full daily workouts in, and do a few laps around the 1-mile trail that circled the lake the building sat on, all in a day's work (split between before work, lunch, and after.)

Then I started working from home, and got lazier, and lazier, and started drinking cheap crap daily. It was Bacardi Gold Rum for me lol. 1 Pint. Daily. That's over 1,000 calories of cheap alcohol.

While I only gained 10 pounds or so, my body structure changed drastically, from quite lean and muscular, to... Well, dad bod.

I've cut the habit and started working out again. Cardio in the morning, usually a short run. Weights throughout the day (I work from home) as well as pull-ups. And either a bike ride in the evening, or some laps in the pool. Didn't take long to start looking and feeling better again.

10 years ago, I know I could have gotten away with being lazy and drinking garbage for a few months with little to no effect as opposed to now. I'm assuming in 10 years, I'll be looking back at my current self and thinking the same. And so on and so on.

So I think one needs to be consistent, and maintain their level of fitness, and avoid slip-ups.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:03 PM

344 posts, read 145,175 times
Exercise and it's therapeutic dose of differs for all. At 58 I go for 1 hour of cross training , no more no less. After, dry sauna therapy, then sunshine.

I do 3-4 hours a week, my minimums

10 min row- 15 bodydips then 25situps, then repeat until 1 hr is done

bicycle and ski machine are rotated in for variety, I also have a Pilates Reformer, which I love.

My true challenge is not stuffing my face

Old 08-08-2022, 12:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
It comes down how much you're willing to push yourself. Over the course of the pandemic I developed a bad habit of drinking 3-5 tallboys (24oz cans) daily. I mean cheap beer. Natty Daddys , OE 800, etc. Once I hit about 250 (6'8 lean & lanky frame) and got called out for carrying a few extra pounds. I kicked it into high gear. I purchased a treadmill and started using it at least 3 days a week (32 mins 4.3 mph-10% incline). Since I work from home M-W-F I curl with a 75lb straight bar (10 sets /180-200 reps) on my lunch break. The real kicker is that I started rucking again. Usually 4-5miles 3-4 days a week with the military standard of 15min/mile. Nothing too heavy (35lbs). Over the last week I've shaved about 4-5 mins off my total. Today was 5 miles/64:10. In the last month I've dropped 15lbs. Confidence has definitely increased. I'll turn 47 in December.
Maybe you should get an outside opinion on your 180-200 reps, just saying.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:20 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,464,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Maybe you should get an outside opinion on your 180-200 reps, just saying.
LoL. He likes the reps or he wouldn't be doing it. Let him do his reps.

I do a few crazy things "just because". But I don't publicize. The few times I have, I never hear the end of it so I just keep my mouth shut and don't say anything. I got slapped to death here about a 100 rep leg workout a few years ago and learned not only to keep the mouth sealed but don't work the fingies on the keyboard either.

Let him do his reps. Good, bad, or in between. He likes them and this is the free USA.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:48 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
LoL. He likes the reps or he wouldn't be doing it. Let him do his reps.

I do a few crazy things "just because". But I don't publicize. The few times I have, I never hear the end of it so I just keep my mouth shut and don't say anything. I got slapped to death here about a 100 rep leg workout a few years ago and learned not only to keep the mouth sealed but don't work the fingies on the keyboard either.

Let him do his reps. Good, bad, or in between. He likes them and this is the free USA.
I only suggested an outside opinion. I didn't even say anything was wrong with it.

When my gym shut down, I could only do pushups and pullups. (I have a pullup bar in my garage.) I got to where I was doing sets of 55 pushups. I was shooting for 4 sets when I started getting elbow pain. I don't get elbow pain in the gym because I add weight once I hit around 8-10 reps.

I won't even go into detail about the squat workout I once devised that started with 32 reps in the first set and worked down to one rep, adding 20 lbs. on each set. I don't know what I was thinking.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:14 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,464,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I won't even go into detail about the squat workout I once devised that started with 32 reps in the first set and worked down to one rep, adding 20 lbs. on each set. I don't know what I was thinking.
If you worked where I work. We would head on down to the gym and try this one out. I am always game for something off the wall.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:25 AM

880 posts, read 566,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
But more generally curious to hear from those that are 50+ and exercise regularly but also enjoy it and find that it adds to their life. How you're able to keep fitness and exercise into your routine in a sustainable way and if you have made any changes along the way?

I'm going to really read-through all of these posts from trained professionals to get an idea of what I need to do (sorry, joke). But really, I am going to re-read through all of these.

I'm in my mid-40s. Growing up, I did a sport literally every season. In middle school, I was on the ski team, tennis team, and baseball team. I was fantastic at at least two of them (top ski team, and in the top 5 for tennis). In high school, I ran track every single year... running at least 8-9 miles every single day... and I often still ran 1 mile to where I started running.

Since I left high school... I've not really participated in any sports, unless you call adult kickball with alcohol a sport.

Last weekend, I spent about 6 days in my attic installing a pull-down ladder so I could replace the stupid "hatch" that's there now... and relocate it from the master bedroom closet, to a conspicuous place in one of the upstairs hallways.

Essentially, I likened it to "hot yoga construction." It's Florida... so it was easily 120 degrees in the attic. I essentially spent my entire time balancing on two 2x4 rafters / studs, while doing construction, lifting, squatting, and numerous times climbing up and down a ladder.

The pain I feel today (two days later)... is something really to behold, and I question if I'd ever felt this way when I was younger.

I bought a home in my early 20s, and I installed a pull-down ladder in my garage. I remember it being difficult only because I had less arm strength than I do now. I'm like 30-40% more muscle mass today than I was when I was younger... not really sure why. But I absolutely do not remember being in this much pain.

It's frustrating because I was asking myself... what happens when I'm 50? Is it going to be that much worse? What about 60?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness