Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 09:00 AM

52 posts, read 40,372 times

Advertisements

I think what GSPNative is trying to say is that it is normal for straight men in modern American society to be turned off/repulsed by such an overt display of male nudity.

I think what aries63 is trying to say is that going back through human history, this wasn't always the case. There have been (and still are) societies in which straight men were largely unbothered by/neutral toward male nudity. We need to take the wider view and acknowledge that their feelings and experiences are just as valid as ours. Perhaps social conditioning plays a larger role than we care to admit, and this isn't some unchangeable biological imperative.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:34 AM

4,578 posts, read 2,715,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csignorelli View Post
I think what GSPNative is trying to say is that it is normal for straight men in modern American society to be turned off/repulsed by such an overt display of male nudity.

I think what aries63 is trying to say is that going back through human history, this wasn't always the case. There have been (and still are) societies in which straight men were largely unbothered by/neutral toward male nudity. We need to take the wider view and acknowledge that their feelings and experiences are just as valid as ours. Perhaps social conditioning plays a larger role than we care to admit, and this isn't some unchangeable biological imperative.
Yeah, young prissy American men who have been carefully kept wrapped in cotton wool from birth.

Ask some Marines who just got back from Afghanistan how they feel about this.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:57 AM

9,426 posts, read 8,405,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Yeah, young prissy American men who have been carefully kept wrapped in cotton wool from birth.

I'll guarantee Marines, NFL players and whatever other masculine vocation you can think of probably don't enjoy Grandpa Bill walking up to them stark naked and asking about the football game last night either.

Call me crazy.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:00 AM

5,048 posts, read 7,434,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post

Exactly-- it reflects the increasingly sheltered lives that young men are leading today compared to before. They continue living with mom and dad much longer than they used to. They weren't allowed to go outside and play or ride their bikes around the neighborhood as kids. And increasingly they spend most of their lives online, in the isolation of virtual reality, and have become uncomfortable in their own skin and seeing the skin of others. It's not their fault they turned out so repressed and uncomfortable in the real world and have to shield their eyes in the locker room.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Exactly-- it reflects the increasingly sheltered lives that young men are leading today compared to before. They continue living with mom and dad much longer than they used to. They weren't allowed to go outside and play or ride their bikes around the neighborhood as kids. And increasingly they spend most of their lives online, in the isolation of virtual reality, and have become uncomfortable in their own skin and seeing the skin of others. It's not their fault they turned out so repressed and uncomfortable in the real world and have to shield their eyes in the locker room.
You are the king of ridiculous generalizations. Where do you pull this nonsense out of.........let me guess, does it rhyme with "Box" and "booze?"

Old 01-11-2023, 10:59 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,250,608 times
It sounds like some posters on this thread are trying a little too hard to "prove" their heterosexuality by loudly proclaiming their disgust at uninhibited nudity in the locker room, as if NOT being feeling uncomfortable/repulsed in the presence of same-sex nudity might cause suspicions of gayness to be cast in their direction.
The thing about it is the effort is cancelled out by the obvious insecurity.
Why all the worrying anyway? It's 2023.

Last edited by southking500; 01-11-2023 at 11:14 AM..

Old 01-11-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
It sounds like some posters on this thread are trying a little too hard to "prove" their heterosexuality by loudly proclaiming their disgust at uninhibited nudity in the locker room, as if NOT being feeling uncomfortable/repulsed in the presence of same-sex nudity might cause suspicions of gayness to be cast in their direction.
The thing about it is the effort is cancelled out by the obvious insecurity.
Why all the worrying anyway? It's 2023.
Doesn't that go both ways? Why would YOU care about how OTHER PEOPLE feel about nudity? I see a number of people who think that means you're some 20something who lives a very sheltered life. I'm pretty sure that isn't any of us on the other side of things.

On that note, I'm out of this stupid conversation. Can't have sane debates here without people taking things to the extreme. Even my mocking a few posts back some people must've thought that was real as I got several reps on it. SMH.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'll guarantee Marines, NFL players and whatever other masculine vocation you can think of probably don't enjoy Grandpa Bill walking up to them stark naked and asking about the football game last night either.

Call me crazy.
What if "Grandpa Bill" needs help getting dressed? I guess he's SOL with you around. You'd go running and screaming in the other direction and outsource his saggy a$$.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:26 PM

9,441 posts, read 11,195,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
this thread has become tiresome......now we need a woman to start a new thread: Old, Naked Women in Gym Locker Room's Explained
Make that young to middle aged and I'm In Like Flint.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You are the king of ridiculous generalizations. Where do you pull this nonsense out of.........let me guess, does it rhyme with "Box" and "booze?"
Wrong again. I come at it from a liberal background. The trend is toward more conservative dress and behaviors than what I grew up with. Look at how bathing suits and shorts evolved. In the 70's men wore short shorts and bikini briefs (look at basketball players and Olympic swimmers from that decade), and they've been getting longer ever since, going to knee length, and oversized. In my view, to be liberal is to be uninhibited and comfortable with the body, and to be conservative is to be prudish and covered up. People who covered up excessively we called "squares." You could judge who was more conservative or liberal by how much flesh was exposed.

Have you ever seen documentaries about Woodstock? Do you think all those young people taking off their clothes were conservatives? Something is wrong with you.

Last edited by aries63; 01-11-2023 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness