Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2022, 08:37 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Discussion has strayed from understanding why old men sit around naked in locker rooms.

Makes no difference that people in nudist colonies or other countries are completely comfortable with their naked bodies. Locker rooms in the U.S. are neither nudist colonies nor in other countries.

Speculation is that when these old men were young they swam naked because those were the rules back then, so they got comfortable hanging out naked.

I was astounded to read that YMCA's, schools, swim competitions, ... required male swimmers to be nude. I had never heard of that before this discussion.

If it was such a healthy, nonsexual thing to do, why were girls and women never required to swim nude?
I read through some of the Quora discussions about it and it was the consensus that there was an expectation of modesty amongst girls/women whereas there was no expectation among men/boys. Most of the women in the forum said that the swimsuits back then were nearly transparent and clingy - they would have preferred to swim nude like the boys. A few cases were cited.

Like you, I was astounded to discover this, but I am not offended at all by it. I wish that I could swim nude in public now (except at the beach during jellyfish season).

Old 12-20-2022, 10:28 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Don't forget that until the current crop of prissy millennials, a very large fraction of men had been in the Army; another very large fraction in school sports. The fear of other guys seeing your parts goes away after the first couple times. Now that everyone's so coddled and never made to do something uncomfortable and get over it, guys are freaked out by those who got over it years ago.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
So the next "Nanny Rule", no changing of clothes in the Locker Room.

I'm a swimmer, so 'get naked' every day while changing in the locker room (This used to be expected and appropriate). There is only one toilet stall, It gets pretty crowded when the swim team shows up (~40 young boys).

Old 12-20-2022, 01:08 PM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
This discussion goes off the rails so frequently. Just look at the last two posts above mine.......nobody here said getting undressed in front of your locker was improper/wrong/gross/etc. You guys are twisting words to fit whatever agenda you have. This discussion has always centered on those nude older males who WALK AROUND, TALK, DO THEIR HAIR/FINGERNAILS/TOENAILS, WEIGH THEMSELVES, STRIKE UP CONVERSATIONS WITH STRANGERS, etc. etc.

It know it's a difficult concept to grasp but again.....let me reiterate for the 38th time......nobody here or in the other thread once said anything was wrong with being nude or getting undressed/dressed at a locker.

Sheesh.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:04 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
WALK AROUND, TALK, DO THEIR HAIR/FINGERNAILS/TOENAILS, WEIGH THEMSELVES, STRIKE UP CONVERSATIONS WITH STRANGERS,
Really, this is not wrong either, being offended by nudity on the other hand...

Old 12-20-2022, 03:30 PM

Well, when the next war comes and they have to run a million draftees through Fort Dix and equivalent in a year, both men and women will get over all this preciousness. (They'll draft women too, next time.) When you see the soldier next to you get turned into raw meat a few times, seeing another guy "tackle out" ain't gonna be such a damn big deal.

Old 12-20-2022, 04:16 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post

I dunno.. That, somewhat, seems to be getting into the 'gratuitous' area.

I don't have a problem with changing/showering/etc.. So long as someone isn't standing there talking to me with things swinging around.. It doesn't really bother me.. But it's certainly not something I'm going to do. It's like walking to the shower in a locker room with the towel draped over your shoulder.. I wouldn't do that, just because.. no.. Wrap the towel around your waist. Maybe it's just me, but that almost has a 'showing off' feel to it, and.. That does kinda bother me.

For me.. I wouldn't do that, just being polite to others. Just like I wouldn't have a conversation with them just standing there naked. I'd do it WHILE I was drying off, getting dressed, etc.. But not just standing there.

And if I were cutting my toenails in the locker room while naked.. WTF? Who cares about the naked part? Why are you cutting your toenails in the locker room? And dear Lord.. What are you doing with those toenails?

Can you imagine getting changed for a swim and smacked across the back with toenail shards? You've just found something that DOES creep me right the f*&@ out! That creeps me out more than if someone was 'vigoursly washing' themselves in the shower.

Old 12-20-2022, 05:34 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
So you won't think it is "weird" if say you are fully clothed in a locker room and some random guy with his junk hanging all out and exposed wants to have a conversation with you about last night's football game? Especially if he has his towel wrapped over his shoulder.

Old 12-20-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
So you won't think it is "weird" if say you are fully clothed in a locker room and some random guy with his junk hanging all out and exposed wants to have a conversation with you about last night's football game? Especially if he has his towel wrapped over his shoulder.
No, I wouldn't think it's weird. I've been in locker rooms my whole life. Seen one, you've seen them all.

I swear I think some of you boys need a couple years in the Army.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:21 AM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I've been in locker rooms my whole life.
Speaking of weird..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness