Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 04:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,680,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
You cannot adequately progressively overload chinups. You will plateau very quickly. So yes, for someone new to the gym, all they need is chin ups/pull ups/barbell rows/pull downs to work their biceps. But after a certain point, you will need to add isolation work for your biceps to continue to see growth (this applies to every muscle - newbie can get by on just squats but an intermediate will probably want to add leg extensions to see quad growth etc).
I don't know why you say you cannot adequately progressively overload chinups (and pullups and dips). All you need is a dip belt and weights. Get one of these and you can progressively overload the same as any weightlifting exercise.

https://www.amazon.com/HemeraPhit-Pu...1&sr=8-10&th=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 04:26 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,509,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I don't know why you say you cannot adequately progressively overload chinups (and pullups and dips). All you need is a dip belt and weights. Get one of these and you can progressively overload the same as any weightlifting exercise.

https://www.amazon.com/HemeraPhit-Pu...1&sr=8-10&th=1
Not really. You can buy a weight belt, but you will quickly plateau. Chin ups are not an isolation movement for the biceps, so you will require your back muscles and biceps to grow at similar rates so your biceps keep getting adequate stimulus to grow. That never happens after the immediate short term which is why every body builder does curls to develop their biceps. If we could just do chin ups that would be awesomely efficient but it doesn’t work that way.

I don’t know anyone who has developed respectable arms doing chin ups or pull ups alone.

Old 11-25-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Not really. You can buy a weight belt, but you will quickly plateau. Chin ups are not an isolation movement for the biceps, so you will require your back muscles and biceps to grow at similar rates so your biceps keep getting adequate stimulus to grow. That never happens after the immediate short term which is why every body builder does curls to develop their biceps. If we could just do chin ups that would be awesomely efficient but it doesn’t work that way.

I don’t know anyone who has developed respectable arms doing chin ups or pull ups alone.
Using the same logic, do you also do leg extensions in addition to squats so that you can isolate your quads?

I do dumbbell curls, but they get the least priority in my workouts. I start my upper body workouts with five sets of pullups, and finish with 2-3 sets of curls if I have time.

Old 11-25-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Using the same logic, do you also do leg extensions in addition to squats so that you can isolate your quads?

I do dumbbell curls, but they get the least priority in my workouts. I start my upper body workouts with five sets of pullups, and finish with 2-3 sets of curls if I have time.
I actually do leg extensions (drop set) right before I do any compound movement for legs *if* I wish to target my quads that day. So example would be leg extensions then right into a squat. This is to ensure my quads are pre-fatigued so during the squat they’re the limiting muscle in the movement. This is an advanced technique, and as a beginner squats are fine. You can add leg extensions after if you don’t feel enough of a quad pump. Once you become advanced you’ll do it right before as stated for numerous reasons (including allowing you to use less weight on the squat since it’s a PITA to add all those plates and warm up).

Old 11-26-2023, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,192 times
You can do plenty of bodyweight exercises without a gym. You just need space or a room with some basic items.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:56 PM

3,511 posts, read 1,418,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogagirl2412 View Post
You can do plenty of bodyweight exercises without a gym. You just need space or a room with some basic items.
I doubt Will Smith got the body he got by just doing bodyweight exercises only.

Having said that, maybe looking like Will Smith shouldn't be my goal and maybe that's ok.... for me!

Old 11-27-2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I doubt Will Smith got the body he got by just doing bodyweight exercises only.

Having said that, maybe looking like Will Smith shouldn't be my goal and maybe that's ok.... for me!
This body? https://www.today.com/popculture/wil...pe-his-t217466

Old 11-30-2023, 09:59 AM

8,877 posts, read 6,890,225 times
I work from home too. Exercise is necessary, but so is general activity. I try to take a walk most days, at least a mile or so.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I actually do leg extensions (drop set) right before I do any compound movement for legs *if* I wish to target my quads that day. So example would be leg extensions then right into a squat. This is to ensure my quads are pre-fatigued so during the squat they’re the limiting muscle in the movement. This is an advanced technique, and as a beginner squats are fine. You can add leg extensions after if you don’t feel enough of a quad pump. Once you become advanced you’ll do it right before as stated for numerous reasons (including allowing you to use less weight on the squat since it’s a PITA to add all those plates and warm up).
The idea of doing an isolation exercise before a compound exercise was part of Arthur Jones' Nautilus exercise principles that he developed in the 1970s. Some of his machines included two exercises, which allowed no rest between the two exercises. The leg extension could be down on a machine that also had a leg press, or with squats that were done on his multi-exercise machine. Whether it is advanced or not, is up for debate. The system seemed to allow for a complete workout in a minimum amount of time. I wish I still had access to some of those machines.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
The idea of doing an isolation exercise before a compound exercise was part of Arthur Jones' Nautilus exercise principles that he developed in the 1970s. Some of his machines included two exercises, which allowed no rest between the two exercises. The leg extension could be down on a machine that also had a leg press, or with squats that were done on his multi-exercise machine. Whether it is advanced or not, is up for debate. The system seemed to allow for a complete workout in a minimum amount of time. I wish I still had access to some of those machines.
I know that, but my workouts are more volume based, and not related to Arthur Jones/Mentzer. I do them from time to time when I'm rushed.

Here is an example of a workout that more advanced bodybuilders do that is also high volume and not related to Jones' HIT principles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfh6...el=ReganGrimes

The goal is to pre-fatigue the quads so in all compound exercises, they're the limiting movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness