Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 05:13 PM

3,504 posts, read 1,415,131 times

Advertisements

Is it really possible to become muscular like that with just resistance bands??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 05:19 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Resistance bands come in different levels of resistance similar to dumbbells. The more resistance the bigger the muscle.

Old 11-19-2023, 05:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
No. I bought some resistance bands because a physical therapist recommended them for some leg exercises. It was a hassle using them because I had to find places to connect them.

It sounds like you need to find a better gym. I use a YMCA and it meets my needs. It is not perfect. There are only two squat racks and one standalone bench, and this equipment gets the most use. There are one set of dumbbells for each weight. I rarely have an issue using the dumbbells I want.

Regarding gym hours, the trend is to 24/7 gyms. I have several in my small town, but I prefer the Y with more limited hours due to a pool and basketball court. My Y is closed on Thanksgiving but open on Friday.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No. I bought some resistance bands because a physical therapist recommended them for some leg exercises. It was a hassle using them because I had to find places to connect them.

It sounds like you need to find a better gym. I use a YMCA and it meets my needs. It is not perfect. There are only two squat racks and one standalone bench, and this equipment gets the most use. There are one set of dumbbells for each weight. I rarely have an issue using the dumbbells I want.

Regarding gym hours, the trend is to 24/7 gyms. I have several in my small town, but I prefer the Y with more limited hours due to a pool and basketball court. My Y is closed on Thanksgiving but open on Friday.
Thanks to the lockdowns during Covid, there are no more “better gyms†in my area.

And my mistake, my gym is open on Friday but they only open at 9am that day, which is crazy as I usually like going at 7am before work. Unfortunately, I do not have off the day after Thanksgiving.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:09 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
What kind of bands were you using? The ones I used to use wrapped around your hands, arms or legs or you stood on it while pulling.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:24 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
What kind of bands were you using? The ones I used to use wrapped around your hands, arms or legs or you stood on it while pulling.
Theraband

I was doing leg exercises that required one end to be attached to something stationary.

Old 11-20-2023, 11:18 AM

I might consider getting the Bowflex dumbbells, but holy cow, those are expensive. So it's in investment and I need to know that I will stay committed to using them before I fork over that kind of money for such expensive equipment. When it comes to working out at home, I lose motivation fast and I'm afraid those dumbbells will just sit there collection dust, which is what happened to the previous weights I used to own.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:01 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,000,626 times
Quote:
I might consider getting the Bowflex dumbbells, but holy cow, those are expensive. So it's in investment and I need to know that I will stay committed to using them before I fork over that kind of money for such expensive equipment. When it comes to working out at home, I lose motivation fast and I'm afraid those dumbbells will just sit there collection dust, which is what happened to the previous weights I used to own.
I lose motivation working out at home as well. That's assuming I had any to begin with. I do 'enough' at home, I need to see and hear different things sometimes, including working out.
My very nearby gym has anything I could ever want to use and no waiting and no boredom.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:00 PM

43,153 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Then definitely stick with the gym. You know what you are capable of.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I lose motivation working out at home as well. That's assuming I had any to begin with. I do 'enough' at home, I need to see and hear different things sometimes, including working out.
My very nearby gym has anything I could ever want to use and no waiting and no boredom.

That's the thing. At home, you tend to get lazy and put things off. With the gym, the environment motivates you to push yourself! And the attractive girls at the gym also helps with motivation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness