Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2023, 08:20 PM

25,615 posts, read 17,355,583 times

Advertisements

I'm lucky.
Since I am retired I can go around 10AM on Mon-Wed-Fri.
Even on days when I don't feel like it I still go. And now it has become such a habit I would feel like I'm goofing off if I didn't go.

But I know a guy who has to get up at 4AM to work out before work.
Kobe Bryant used to work out 3 times a DAY! He said you can become great by doing things other people won't do.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 08:31 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,517,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm lucky.
Even on days when I don't feel like it I still go. And now it has become such a habit I would feel like I'm goofing off if I didn't go.

Kobe Bryant used to work out 3 times a DAY! He said you can become great by doing things other people won't do.....
Kobe is in a different situation as besides conditioning, he needs to practice certain skills.

However, most people would benefit from going to the gym twice a day. Once cardio, one session weights. Or, one session heavy barbell work, and another session smaller, more isolation work.

It's no secret that when you pack in a lot of different exercises into a program, the one's toward the end suffer, so breaking your sessions into smaller blocks makes them more efficient - if you have the time it is.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:04 PM

3,522 posts, read 1,425,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm lucky.

Now now, let’s not get carried away. First let me focus on disciplining myself to go at least 3 times a WEEK.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:39 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Kobe is in a different situation as besides conditioning, he needs to practice certain skills.

However, most people would benefit from going to the gym twice a day. Once cardio, one session weights. Or, one session heavy barbell work, and another session smaller, more isolation work.

It's no secret that when you pack in a lot of different exercises into a program, the one's toward the end suffer, so breaking your sessions into smaller blocks makes them more efficient - if you have the time it is.
That's an interesting idea. I've never thought of that before, but it does make sense.

I find weight training difficult and takes a lot of willpower, whereas steady state cardio (tread, elliptical) are mindless and I can just do it endlessly. If it were two separate visits, less excuses to cut the weight training short

Old 07-20-2023, 10:35 AM

4,223 posts, read 2,533,148 times
That's interesting...I find aerobic boring and weight training fun. There is always a new variation on lifting, aerobic not so much. Row fast, row slow, row fast and then slow.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:59 PM

3,522 posts, read 1,425,890 times
Bumping this because I've joined the gym almost three months ago, and workout out until failure 3x a week, and so far, ZERO results in my physique. Do I feel stronger? Well maybe so, but it doesn't look that way from my appearance. I even took pictures and my body looks the exact same as it did 3 months ago.

Frustrating and that's what made me quit the gym in the past. But I guess nothing much I can do at this point. I'll just enjoy the working out and exercising because it's better than no exercise at all. Whether my body builds up or not should be something that I probably shouldn't stress over...

Old 10-11-2023, 01:33 PM

33,331 posts, read 26,530,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Bumping this because I've joined the gym almost three months ago, and workout out until failure 3x a week, and so far, ZERO results in my physique. Do I feel stronger? Well maybe so, but it doesn't look that way from my appearance. I even took pictures and my body looks the exact same as it did 3 months ago.

Frustrating and that's what made me quit the gym in the past. But I guess nothing much I can do at this point. I'll just enjoy the working out and exercising because it's better than no exercise at all. Whether my body builds up or not should be something that I probably shouldn't stress over...
Well, for one thing, stop going to failure. Leave a little in the tank on your sets. And if you are doing a full body workout 3 times a week, try doing just two workouts a week. Make sure you are getting enough protein, and enough calories to allow your muscles to grow.

But what exercises are you doing? Stick to compound movements - squats, bench or incline bench press, overhead press, bent over rows, deadlift, pull ups. Stay away from isolation movements.

Keep the reps fairly low - 6 to 8-10, Don't go to failure. Leave a rep or two in the tank.

Get enough sleep.

If you want to continue to workout three times a week maybe do split in which you work, say, chest and shoulders one day and legs and back the next workout. One week you'll work the chest and shoulders twice during the week and the next week you'll work chest and shoulders just once.

Don't get discouraged and give up. Keep learning and experimenting to see what works for you.

Old 10-11-2023, 02:12 PM

4,591 posts, read 2,728,185 times
I'd recommend you start joining the gym, then finish joining the gym, and then use the membership to work out.

Old 10-13-2023, 08:32 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post

Two years ago I looked like a slob. Have been doing weights & cardio & core 4-5x/week. Today, I look like a slob.

However, I think my core has strengthened. I threw out my back last week carrying a heavy appliance (yeah, I'm a moron) and after one week, it's 80% better. This happens about every couple of years and I get laid up for at least a month, so I feel that my core buildup is invisibly helping.

Also my trainer says I look better. IDK maybe he's paid to say stuff like that
But I think I do have more muscle mass, have lost some weight, probably replacing fat with muscle.
It's gonna take another couple of years at this rate. That's okay. I'm patient.

Anyway if I were you, I'd just keep at it. Three months is nothing. It takes a couple of years for your body to really change. Think how many months or years did it take for you to get into bad shape (I don't know what kind of shape you're in, just sort of making a generalization), so it's going to take easily that long to correct course and heal.

Good luck and keep at it!

Old 10-13-2023, 09:12 AM

9,489 posts, read 5,269,919 times
I joined a pool and swim 3x a week. I've been bicycling most of the summer, walking at other times, and I am going to play pickleball when the darn court ever reopens.
For me, it is more fun, and I stick to it more, when the activity is something I like to do. Boot camp or lifting weights, using machines, they don't do it for me. Pick something fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness