Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 06:58 PM

30,694 posts, read 18,331,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
So does your gym have the issue where it's crazy packed in January and then dies down starting February?
I primarily use military gyms on base now, so it's not really an issue there as folks in the military are generally fit anyway. Thus, there are "new year's resolutions" to get into shape, etc. Note, I'm also helped by the fact the military gyms I go to are only open to active duty servicemembers, so don't have to deal with retirees, etc., trying to get back into shape.

Now, I do have a gym membership for a place off base in downtown Honolulu. I'll be going there tonight for the first time since the new year, so will have to see if it's more crowded than normal and report back.

When I was a civilian and exclusively used civilian gyms, however, yes that is what I experienced. Much more crowded in the aftermath of the New Year only to die down about a month or so after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 08:20 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,508,680 times
Fair price, get in there! I'm in a crowded gym 4-5 days a week with hundreds of my closest friends all breathing heavily and no one wears a mask. I recently caught covid, but that was 99% from my daughter who tested positive a few days before me. 4 days after getting sick I tested negative and 3 days after testing negative I'm right back at it in the gym.

Hate to sound cliche, but Just Do It!

Old 01-10-2023, 09:10 PM

3,523 posts, read 1,430,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Fair price, get in there! I'm in a crowded gym 4-5 days a week with hundreds of my closest friends all breathing heavily and no one wears a mask. I recently caught covid, but that was 99% from my daughter who tested positive a few days before me. 4 days after getting sick I tested negative and 3 days after testing negative I'm right back at it in the gym.

Hate to sound cliche, but Just Do It!
That’s interesting to hear that you’ve never caught Covid at the gym but was able to catch from your daughter. I wonder if the these gyms are well ventilated and also maybe the humid environment both help minimize spread.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:00 AM

6,717 posts, read 5,961,733 times
Quote:
There's this Blink Fitness close to where I live that has a special for new joiners where's it's just a $0.01 fee for the rest January and then the regular $15/month fee starting February. They do have an annual $60 maintenance fee charged on the 3rd month of the year. No commitment or cancellation fee other than just giving 45 days notice and then paying the pro-rated fee for that 45 days. This all sounds reasonable, so I'm wondering if I should considering joining. But I'm hesitant for two reasons- (1) I question my commitment to going to the gym because I haven't been very good with that in the past, but I'm determined to try to do better this time; (2) I'm a little worried about how safe it is with Covid around. I imagine an indoor environment with heavy breathers might pose some risk.

With all that said, I'm really determined to give it a shot because I've been working from home this past three years and I feel it's not good that I'm always home lacking exercise. Even if I can go just twice a week would be make a big difference on my health. Even with the risk of Covid going around, I feel it's a bigger risk always being a couch potato at home.

So what do you all think? Should I do it?
That's pretty cheap. Around here, Planet Fitness is similar ($10/month plus annual fee, when you divide it out it comes to about $12 or $13/month in total, and requires a couple months' notice to quit).

Last year I joined a much more expensive gym because I needed the steambath, jacuzzi, and indoor lap swimming for some back and hip problems. It's been great.

The thing about a gym is, it's easy to join and go for a few days or weeks, and then kind of fall out of the habit and feel guilty for a couple months until you either go again, or finally just admit it's a waste of money and try to quit (hopefully they'll let you quit without just continuing to charge your credit card/bank for X more months, which unscrupulous gym clubs sometimes will do so read the fine print).

But if you get a trainer for a month or two, which costs extra money, they will show you lots of good exercises, if they're any good, and then you are on your way and might have more motivation to just keep going. Write it all down so you'll remember what you learned, or have them email it to you. If this gym doesn't work with any trainers, maybe look elsewhere.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:09 AM

17,419 posts, read 22,176,094 times
Quote:
No, I'm a NYC guy. I walk or take public transportation wherever I go.
Yet you are worried about Covid in the gym?

Old 01-11-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Yet you are worried about Covid in the gym?
I wear a KN95 mask on public transportation. With the gym, I'll be doing mostly cardio and in no way can I wear a mask doing that. And if the gym is especially crowded and everyone is breathing heavily around me, it can also be an added risk.

Keep in mind that I EASILY caught Covid last month just by simply attending a company party with people I know and whom I supposedly trusted to be Covid-free. Imagine how much riskier of a situation it is if I'm in a crowded gym surrounded by complete strangers who are breathing heavily down my neck.

If I hadn't caught Covid last month, I'd be all for this without hesitancy. But since I did catch it, then you can see why I'm a bit fearful.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I wear a KN95 mask on public transportation. With the gym, I'll be doing mostly cardio and in no way can I wear a mask doing that. And if the gym is especially crowded and everyone is breathing heavily around me, it can also be an added risk.

Keep in mind that I EASILY caught Covid last month just by simply attending a company party with people I know and whom I supposedly trusted to be Covid-free. Imagine how much riskier of a situation it is if I'm in a crowded gym surrounded by complete strangers who are breathing heavily down my neck.

If I hadn't caught Covid last month, I'd be all for this without hesitancy. But since I did catch it, then you can see why I'm a bit fearful.
Then you're Golden (Assuming you don't have any immune system issues). You just got a natural booster. Even if someone blew a plume of coronavirus in your face today, you would likely never even know and if you did develop symptoms, they would be mild and short-lived.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Then you're Golden (Assuming you don't have any immune system issues). You just got a natural booster. Even if someone blew a plume of coronavirus in your face today, you would likely never even know and if you did develop symptoms, they would be mild and short-lived.

Have you not heard the news about the new XBB 1.5 variant? It's extremely contagious and supposedly evades any prior immunity. It's very likely I caught the BA5 variant as the XBB wasn't dominant at the time. So I have zero immunity to it.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Have you not heard the news about the new XBB 1.5 variant? It's extremely contagious and supposedly evades any prior immunity. It's very likely I caught the BA5 variant as the XBB wasn't dominant at the time. So I have zero immunity to it.
Yep, it's likely we caught XBB because we all had covid 2 years ago. Only 1 out of 4 of us is vaccinated and the vaccinated family member suffered the same symptoms and illness as the rest of us. XBB can evade immunity from prior strains and vaccination, but if you just had covid you still have a good deal of immunity to anything more than a week of flu-like symptoms. The first time I got covid back in 2020 I was in bad shape for a month with symptoms lingering for many months, this time I had flu-like symptoms for a few days (tested negative after 4 days) and by Day 7 nothing more than an occasional cough.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:19 PM

25,631 posts, read 17,373,200 times
Quote:
There's this Blink Fitness close to where I live that has a special for new joiners where's it's just a $0.01 fee for the rest January and then the regular $15/month fee starting February. They do have an annual $60 maintenance fee charged on the 3rd month of the year. No commitment or cancellation fee other than just giving 45 days notice and then paying the pro-rated fee for that 45 days. This all sounds reasonable, so I'm wondering if I should considering joining. But I'm hesitant for two reasons- (1) I question my commitment to going to the gym because I haven't been very good with that in the past, but I'm determined to try to do better this time; (2) I'm a little worried about how safe it is with Covid around. I imagine an indoor environment with heavy breathers might pose some risk.

With all that said, I'm really determined to give it a shot because I've been working from home this past three years and I feel it's not good that I'm always home lacking exercise. Even if I can go just twice a week would be make a big difference on my health. Even with the risk of Covid going around, I feel it's a bigger risk always being a couch potato at home.

So what do you all think? Should I do it?
Yes.
I joined 2 years ago after exercising at home for many years, and it has made a huge difference. The reason it makes a difference is, I assigned myself a schedule - 3X a week. I never miss a work out, even if someone wants to "go do something".
And I worked up a routine. I am not a muscle builder so I don't have leg days, chest days and so forth. My workout is the same every time - a complete, head-to-toe workout. The only thing that changes is I add weights when I can. I work on balance, strength, flexibility and the all important weight control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness