Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 02:20 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times

Advertisements

It's really quite interesting. The Blink Fitness near me had promotion where you can sign up for and get the rest of January for $0.01 and then starting February, you get charged the regular rate. Promotion ended 1/15/23, so it was like, hurry up before it's too late. Well, I just checked the website now and their regular rate for their cheapest plan has increased from $15 to $20. What a scam! Getting people to hurry up and sign up right after the New Year's during peak time and then increasing the rate like that!

This is another hesitancy I have with gyms. I feel like they are a bit of a scam with the way they auto-charge you and then increase rates and have these hidden fees. And then they make it hard for you to cancel and stop the autopay.

This all seems a bit sketchy, you ask me. Maybe I might have to consider taking up jogging outside starting this Spring when weather gets nicer. I just don't like the idea of gyms hijacking my credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 03:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
It's really quite interesting. The Blink Fitness near me had promotion where you can sign up for and get the rest of January for $0.01 and then starting February, you get charged the regular rate. Promotion ended 1/15/23, so it was like, hurry up before it's too late. Well, I just checked the website now and their regular rate for their cheapest plan has increased from $15 to $20. What a scam! Getting people to hurry up and sign up right after the New Year's during peak time and then increasing the rate like that!

This is another hesitancy I have with gyms. I feel like they are a bit of a scam with the way they auto-charge you and then increase rates and have these hidden fees. And then they make it hard for you to cancel and stop the autopay.

This all seems a bit sketchy, you ask me. Maybe I might have to consider taking up jogging outside starting this Spring when weather gets nicer. I just don't like the idea of gyms hijacking my credit card.
Keep in mind that if you join a gym, you may not be paying the rate advertised on the website. A lot of times they charge existing members less than new members. I go to a higher end gym and it’s literally $50 more per month difference between what I pay and what they charge for new members, plus new members also have to pay an additional fee to use the outdoor pool (possibly each year). They raised rates 12.5% for us last year and there were a lot of complaints about that, but I guess they decided to keep the rates stable for this year.

Realistically there has been a lot of inflation this year. It’s unrealistic to expect that gyms aren’t affected by this. My membership includes different club levels and I notice that my club level has a lot more amenities than the lower level. We have to DIY clean in the lower level but they usually have staff come in within the higher level to clean between classes, and they have more amenities in the dressing room. I didn’t notice the difference until recently, so I think that’s a cutback they’ve had recently.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:43 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
There's this Blink Fitness close to where I live that has a special for new joiners where's it's just a $0.01 fee for the rest January and then the regular $15/month fee starting February. They do have an annual $60 maintenance fee charged on the 3rd month of the year. No commitment or cancellation fee other than just giving 45 days notice and then paying the pro-rated fee for that 45 days. This all sounds reasonable, so I'm wondering if I should considering joining. But I'm hesitant for two reasons- (1) I question my commitment to going to the gym because I haven't been very good with that in the past, but I'm determined to try to do better this time; (2) I'm a little worried about how safe it is with Covid around. I imagine an indoor environment with heavy breathers might pose some risk.

With all that said, I'm really determined to give it a shot because I've been working from home this past three years and I feel it's not good that I'm always home lacking exercise. Even if I can go just twice a week would be make a big difference on my health. Even with the risk of Covid going around, I feel it's a bigger risk always being a couch potato at home.

So what do you all think? Should I do it?
Congratulations. You've taken the 1st step by looking into the various membership plans at your disposition. Can't hurt to look into another nearby gym just for comparison's sake. Based on your comments, it looks like you're primed and ready to give it a go.

My advice: go easy on yourself. Walk around your gym and slowly get the feel for what's there. Ask your staff. They are there to help you. Within a short time, you will develop your very own routine.

I'm 62 years old and have exercised on-and-off since my teens, but more on than off. At last check - which occurred this month - my BP was close to that of a teenager according to the nurse. All other lab results were near or well below their limits. There's always room for improvement but, I can't complain.

BTW, I aim to exercise 4x's/wk. I don't always hit my mark, but the intention is there. When I don't make the mark, I don't sweat it. I don't even try to make up for it anymore. But trust me, the desire to do so is very much there.

Exercising has been a long-term investment in my health, and it seems to be paying off.

You're gonna do just fine. Congrats again.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:28 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Yes, you should join. The cost is low, you can cancel with no penalty, and it'll be less crowded in about a month or two.

COVID and other illnesses are here to stay. Don't hide from life.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:22 AM

I still haven't made up my mind whether to join a gym, but I did see the groupon deal and now I'm more tempted than ever!

https://www.groupon.com/deals/blink-fitness-corporate-3

Old 02-02-2023, 06:37 AM

574 posts, read 267,818 times
You should exercise daily. You don't need a gym to do that, unless you want to lift weights. I love lifting weights, and I'm a member of 3 different gyms. But you need to find an exercise you will enjoy doing every day for at least 1 hour. That might not be the gym.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
You should exercise daily. You don't need a gym to do that, unless you want to lift weights. I love lifting weights, and I'm a member of 3 different gyms. But you need to find an exercise you will enjoy doing every day for at least 1 hour. That might not be the gym.
You’re right, but in the winter when I’m stuck inside my small apartment, how do I get exercise?

Old 02-02-2023, 11:48 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
For only 15 bucks a month (plus 60 dollar maintenance fee), I'd say go for it.

There is a gym at work but it doesn't have all the equipment needed, so I have a membership at a chain gym that's 40 bucks a month for worldwide access. I also have an elliptical machine at home and I actually use that often.

Old 02-03-2023, 07:10 AM

33 posts, read 39,298 times
Yes, you should have to join the gym because one of the best things you can do for your fitness and health is to join a gym. Numerous studies have revealed that maintaining an exercise routine and raising cardio fitness and strength levels can reduce the risk of a number of health conditions and issues, such as Cardiovascular Disease

Old 02-03-2023, 07:20 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
You’re right, but in the winter when I’m stuck inside my small apartment, how do I get exercise?
The advice that I've read, many times over the years, is to go for a 20 minute walk every day. It's about 75% as good as running or other vigorous exercise, as far as heart health goes.

It's something I keep reminding myself to do. I do belong to a very pricey gym right now -- shouldn't, but it's hard to give it up -- that has steambath, jacuzzi, indoor swimming lanes, and sauna, all of which help me keep my back and hips feeling good. Is it worth $200/month? My back thinks so, at least.

But throwing on a jacket and muffler and walking for 15-20 minutes every evening... this is something the oldsters around here used to do. When I first moved to New England, I'd always see these tough old birds in their 70s-80s just trekking along, getting in their "daily constitutional". Plus a fair number of cyclists. That generation is gone now and you don't even really see cyclists anymore. The roads are too crowded, and besides people would rather sit on the sofa and stare at a tablet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness