Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 06:56 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I bought a treadmill and an elliptical machine for my home gym, secondhand for a few hundred dollars each. That might be worth considering.
Yep. I visited the gym just now for a tour and it was worse than I imagined it. It was CRAZY MOBBED!!! Almost all ellipticals, treadmills, and bikes were being used. And they had so many of them too. How crazy is that? And the free weights and lifting machines, expect a long wait time for that because they were ALL taken!!

I've never seen a gym this packed before. This is just nuts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 08:29 PM

I'm not sure how practical a home treadmill would be since I live in a fairly small apartment. Even if I could fit one, I don't know if it might create noise and disturb neighbors.

My best bet would be to try home workouts. There are plenty of free workout videos via youtube I can follow. My only problem is discipline. I actually have more motivation going to a gym rather than working out home alone. For some reason, when there's people around, it helps with motivation.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:21 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,129,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Yep. I visited the gym just now for a tour and it was worse than I imagined it. It was CRAZY MOBBED!!! Almost all ellipticals, treadmills, and bikes were being used. And they had so many of them too. How crazy is that? And the free weights and lifting machines, expect a long wait time for that because they were ALL taken!!

It won’t last. My gym was packed this morning as well. It’s just the new year’s resolution crowd.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I belong to Planet Fitness and you can go on their app to see how crowded it is at any given time.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
It won’t last. My gym was packed this morning as well. It’s just the new year’s resolution crowd.
I don't think so. This is practically the only gym in the area (due to so many others permanently closing due to Covid) and it's only $15/month. So I imagine this is crazy packed all year 'round. The Yelp reviews say it all; I just had to see it to believe it.

When I used to be a member of another gym before the pandemic hit, that gym used to be more crowded around January as well, but it wasn't crazy mobbed like this.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:43 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:

You're also going at a particularly busy time of the year as all of the New Year's resolution people go for a few weeks before dropping back off

Old 01-10-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You're also going at a particularly busy time of the year as all of the New Year's resolution people go for a few weeks before dropping back off

So does your gym have the issue where it's crazy packed in January and then dies down starting February?

Old 01-10-2023, 09:39 AM

There is a Retro Fitness gym about a 15 min walk from where I live, so I'll probably take a walk there during my lunch break today and see how that place is. This one is $27/mo and is about 10 mins further than the Blink Fitness. So I'm kind of concerned that the further distance will be an excuse to kill my motivation to travel there and workout as much as I'd like. But I'll see for myself. Lunch time usually is another peak time, but not as crazy as the evenings, so I should get a good sense of how busy this place gets on average.

I shall report back.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:06 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
There's this Blink Fitness close to where I live that has a special for new joiners where's it's just a $0.01 fee for the rest January and then the regular $15/month fee starting February. They do have an annual $60 maintenance fee charged on the 3rd month of the year. No commitment or cancellation fee other than just giving 45 days notice and then paying the pro-rated fee for that 45 days. This all sounds reasonable, so I'm wondering if I should considering joining. But I'm hesitant for two reasons- (1) I question my commitment to going to the gym because I haven't been very good with that in the past, but I'm determined to try to do better this time; (2) I'm a little worried about how safe it is with Covid around. I imagine an indoor environment with heavy breathers might pose some risk.

With all that said, I'm really determined to give it a shot because I've been working from home this past three years and I feel it's not good that I'm always home lacking exercise. Even if I can go just twice a week would be make a big difference on my health. Even with the risk of Covid going around, I feel it's a bigger risk always being a couch potato at home.

So what do you all think? Should I do it?
No........just go for a walk, do a mile a day then next week go for 2 miles a day etc.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
No........just go for a walk, do a mile a day then next week go for 2 miles a day etc.

The problem is, winter is hard because weather is just cold and bad. Summer is usually not an issue as I enjoy the warmer weather and can walk a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness