Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 06:48 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,466,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
That is the worst advice I've ever seen.

Have you ever even HEARD of diabetes?
Have you not heard of an "individualized program?" It is a "special" diet. For Houston Man.

But anyhow, you guys continue on. I am outahere. Houston man wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 07:16 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,274,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
You saw my training schedule right? Will I lose rep count?

A small inconsequential amount if done right.

Maybe it hasn't been made clear here, but if you are in a catabolic state (calorie restriction), you will always be burning some % of muscle, but can be very small. High protein helps keep it small.

Conversely, when in anabolic state (caloric surplus), you will *have to* gain some fat. You can make the amount gained relatively less by having the surplus after weighttraining - preferentially allowing more muscle to grow.

This is one reason people should keep weightlifting routines efficient to a few days a week.

On those days, have a small caloric surplus (say 500 cal). Net gain will be say 80% muscle 20% fat.

On the other days, have a caloric deficit (say 500 cal) with high protein diet. Net loss will be 90% fat 10% muscle.

Repeating this pattern will allow muscle level to be maintained (also possible to grow) while reducing fat.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:27 PM

1,555 posts, read 784,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
That's why we're all different. I am secure enough as I am (and was) not to be concerned with whether or not my wife is taller than me. She has a million characteristics that made her worthwhile to me, and I wouldn't use an app now if I could. You can only glean looks from an app. Once you can get past just being concerned with looks and look for a total package you'll understand. Can't do that from an app.

Because you may not be built the same as another person. This is easy to understand for most people. Be the best version of you.... not chasing after the best version of someone else.
It’s mostly about looks on the app at first. I am chasing the best version of myself.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, way back there, and I told you that your self-reported "few minutes" of "cardio" - I can't remember the specifics - was woefully inadequate for the job of aerobic exercise. A 47 year old man needs to be focusing on aerobic exercise; if time is limited, focus on that to the exclusion of strength exercise; because after 40 you're into heart attack territory and the most important thing you can do is to keep the tubes clear. Six pack abs won't help you if you throw a plaque and have a massive MI.
Cardio is after lifting weights.

I am focused on building muscle mass.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Yeah LOL.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Have you not heard of an "individualized program?" It is a "special" diet. For Houston Man.

But anyhow, you guys continue on. I am outahere. Houston man wins.
I avoid processed sugar. I get them from fruits and vegetables.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
A small inconsequential amount if done right.

Maybe it hasn't been made clear here, but if you are in a catabolic state (calorie restriction), you will always be burning some % of muscle, but can be very small. High protein helps keep it small.

Conversely, when in anabolic state (caloric surplus), you will *have to* gain some fat. You can make the amount gained relatively less by having the surplus after weighttraining - preferentially allowing more muscle to grow.

This is one reason people should keep weightlifting routines efficient to a few days a week.

On those days, have a small caloric surplus (say 500 cal). Net gain will be say 80% muscle 20% fat.

On the other days, have a caloric deficit (say 500 cal) with high protein diet. Net loss will be 90% fat 10% muscle.

Repeating this pattern will allow muscle level to be maintained (also possible to grow) while reducing fat.
Ok so get highest protein at lower calories possible. Protein powder does that job.

Old 04-15-2023, 09:38 AM

10,357 posts, read 8,592,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
No. Not while in a caloric deficit. No protein. Protein does not work in a deficit.

What you should do to keep it easy is 2 cups of sugar a day. One cup of sugar is 700 calories. Take that times 2 and you have your 1400 daily caloric intake. You can put it in some tea.
Actually it does. I went from 183 to 152 over a 8 month span averaging about 1400 calories and 160 to 170 grams of protein. My strength actually went up over that time meaning a slight gain in muscle mass.
But I’m going to make it easy on myself and do the two cups of sugar next time!

Old 04-15-2023, 09:39 AM

10,357 posts, read 8,592,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
Ok so get highest protein at lower calories possible. Protein powder does that job.
Don’t rely on protein powder. Eat right and supplement with protein powder

Old 04-15-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Actually it does. I went from 183 to 152 over a 8 month span averaging about 1400 calories and 160 to 170 grams of protein. My strength actually went up over that time meaning a slight gain in muscle mass.
But I’m going to make it easy on myself and do the two cups of sugar next time!
Maybe the user was being sarcastic about 2 cups of sugar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness