Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 06:55 PM

1,555 posts, read 776,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Squats and deadlifts are your best overall compound exercises. I do machine leg exercises to warm up for squats and deadlifts. I do leg extensions and leg press one leg at a time because I found I was focussing on one leg due to knee issues.

Focus on the assisted chinups/pullups and at the same time try to do sets of one rep unassisted. They are a great compound exercise.

If you're a serious lifter, you will include bench press, pullups, squats, and deadlifts in your workout.

Skip the sauna. How many more sets could you do in that time?
I use leg press machine, hack squat machine, seated/Lying leg curl, seated calf weight exercises. I do bench press flat and incline. Sauna doesn’t use a lot of my energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 07:41 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
20% is what is showing up on the smart scale. I heard it’s not accurate. My waist is 30”. How is this fat? I read over 24% is considered fat. What kind of cardio should I do? How much should I weigh?

I posted my blood test results in the other thread. Blood pressure is normal but not 120/80 always.
Well, unless the "smart scale" has calipers to check belly fat, or weighs you both in water and air, its estimates of body fat are likely to be BS.

So, we really don't know how much fat you're carrying.

I still say that your exercise routine is way too light on aerobic exercise, which is key to longevity and the maintenance of physical and mental vigor with increasing age. There's nothing WRONG with lifting weights! But you need to be focusing on blood pressure, blood fats, glucose level, and cardiovascular fitness, not whether your abdominal muscles are visible.

For that matter, if you're 45 years old the likelihood is that your body has long since established the abdomen as a place to store excess calories in the form of fat, so eliminating superficial fat from that area is likely to require true starvation. Again, I think you're focusing on the wrong thing.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, unless the "smart scale" has calipers to check belly fat, or weighs you both in water and air, its estimates of body fat are likely to be BS.

So, we really don't know how much fat you're carrying.

I still say that your exercise routine is way too light on aerobic exercise, which is key to longevity and the maintenance of physical and mental vigor with increasing age. There's nothing WRONG with lifting weights! But you need to be focusing on blood pressure, blood fats, glucose level, and cardiovascular fitness, not whether your abdominal muscles are visible.

For that matter, if you're 45 years old the likelihood is that your body has long since established the abdomen as a place to store excess calories in the form of fat, so eliminating superficial fat from that area is likely to require true starvation. Again, I think you're focusing on the wrong thing.
No calipers on it. What about my training for gaining muscle mass? Glucose level is normal.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:41 AM

4,933 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
There are million hours of advice on YT. What do you mean? How much should I weigh?

The same as I do, as you and I are same height/weight.
Whatever measurements you're using for BMI are highly inaccurate, as I'm around 8-10% at 160lb.
That athlean-x channel has a number of vids on this topic, abs are best trained daily; only takes 10 minutes. But diet is more important, all this is covered.

Old 04-01-2023, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
The same as I do, as you and I are same height/weight.
Whatever measurements you're using for BMI are highly inaccurate, as I'm around 8-10% at 160lb.
That athlean-x channel has a number of vids on this topic, abs are best trained daily; only takes 10 minutes. But diet is more important, all this is covered.
So training abs daily will get my abs more visible and/or lower body fat?

Old 04-01-2023, 01:45 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
the battle is waged in the gym
but the war is won in the kitchen

when it comes to abs.

20% BF is very average. At 14% your abs will be good enough to go shirtless at the beach/pool.
at sub-12%, you'll have a six-pack, and if and only if you make it a year-long obsession, and you get down to 9% you can have the eight-pack. But your face will change, you will lose fat in your cheeks and jaw and jowls and you will look older.

The first 5% BF loss, is easier than than the next 5%, not gonna lie.

For an ab routine, I had success with P90X AB Ripper X:
https://www.skimble.com/workouts/16-p90x-ab-ripper-x

Old 04-01-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
the battle is waged in the gym
but the war is won in the kitchen

when it comes to abs.

20% BF is very average. At 14% your abs will be good enough to go shirtless at the beach/pool.
at sub-12%, you'll have a six-pack, and if and only if you make it a year-long obsession, and you get down to 9% you can have the eight-pack. But your face will change, you will lose fat in your cheeks and jaw and jowls and you will look older.

The first 5% BF loss, is easier than than the next 5%, not gonna lie.

For an ab routine, I had success with P90X AB Ripper X:
https://www.skimble.com/workouts/16-p90x-ab-ripper-x
I don’t know how accurate my smart scale is. I also have stomach hair so they may not be as visible.

Losing fat on face makes you look older?

So I only really hit Abs once a week. Think I can get it more visible by doing more with 20%?

Old 04-01-2023, 02:11 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
The only real way to get a six pack is to get cosmetic surgery.

All the starvation/rotation diets and extreme exercise is not going to get rid of the abdominal fat.

Belly fat resistant to diet and exercise - what are the options? (muscles, firm up)

Old 04-01-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The only real way to get a six pack is to get cosmetic surgery.

All the starvation/rotation diets and extreme exercise is not going to get rid of the abdominal fat.

Belly fat resistant to diet and exercise - what are the options? (muscles, firm up)
April Fool’s. Good one.

Old 04-01-2023, 02:51 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Nope, not even close to an april fool's joke.

If you had opened the link to the thread I posted, the advice is the same. The fitness and supplement industry is making billions of dollars a year fooling people into thinking that they can get rid of their abdominal fat by simply doing exercise (HIIT) and weight lifting. Once you reach a certain age, those abdominal fat deposits are exceptionally resistant to change. Sure, one can reduce the size/appearance of the belly fat but that is due to water loss and subsequent shrinking of the fat cell. But the fat cells are still there and if there's enough of them it will still obscure a six pack.

Only through cosmetic surgery or powerful drugs can one truly get rid of abdominal fat so that the six pack shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness