Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 01:58 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,746,310 times

Advertisements

I exercise with yestonext you-tube videos, elderly mother and daughter workout pals, so cute! Great mild exercises for seniors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 03:05 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
I remember everything I learned in Physical Education classes in junior high and high school. My teachers were former marines. https://www.healthline.com/health/fi...e/calisthenics

A guy I knew in high school had an incredible physique and was strong as a bull. I asked him how he did it. He told me about isometrics.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...%20effectively.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:01 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Walk, lift free weights, use a stationary bike, and practice yoga and ti chi. I also take a class called "Light as a Feather, Flat as a Board," which focuses on core strength,
My friend named it. I also study ballet locally.

We are a group who were never comfortable with a gym atmosphere. We live all over, so one class may be near me. another near where

Not lazy I just hate gyms.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:39 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Sometimes, I walk to the mailbox.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:00 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Going to a gym is expensive and time consuming. It only makes sense if you live in a huge polluted city that has no walking trails and you live in a small apartment, in my opinion.

I have always been active and find digging a hole quite satisfying, but if you don't have a yard, a Costco or Sams Club membership (if you are in the U.S.) is less than 100.00 a year. I go to Costco, park in the back lot, get a basket and fill it up with birdseed and white vinegar (2 gallon cartons) and then I walk the ailse and find the rest of the stuff I need. The bird seed is in 50 pound bags so you get your lifting. The cart is heavy so you work several muscle groups pushing it around the store. Once I pay for my items I push that basket to the car (the back lot in at the Costco I go to is uphill from the store). Load the car, take the cart back and I have had a 1 1/2 hour workout.

Most cities do have walking trails but not all of them have easy access. If you have a dog it does you and the dog good to take it for a walk.

I am sure there are all kinds of ways to not need to go to a gym. I am over 60 so maybe my perspective of going to a gym is old fashioned but really can you afford it, do you pay the fee everymonth and find time to go 2 or 3 times a week?
Yes, going to the gym can be expensive and time consuming--but then again, going to the doctor/hospital and paying co-pays and for prescriptions is also time-consuming & expensive.

My husband and I prefer the gym. We pay $50/month that includes both of us. Cheaper than a lot of drugs.

And as our gym is open 24/7 we pick when we want to go when it's almost empty. Kind of like having a personal gym. We like it. Go 3-4x week.

Just for the record, we're both older than you.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:36 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
So this is basically an old guy telling stories about walking uphill to school thread?
You are hilarious!

Being a senior with advanced arthritis, I just use my exercise bike and my elliptical for an hour each day. Sometimes we walk on the beach, but now I have skin cancer threats so don't do it that often. I just look at it, lol. Never cared for the gym, but had a physical job and used to do Pilates, weights, and did a lot of hiking. I wish I could do laps in the pool but arms won't cooperate. Glad I don't look as old as I feel, lol.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:16 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,765 times
I have a Peloton membership and have a Peloton bike and treadmill. I alternate cycling and running days and take strength and yoga classes on the platform as well. In addition to that, I take my dogs to local hiking trails, rail trails, bike paths, parks as often as I can (weather permitting). And, yes, walking absolutely IS exercise!

Old 05-24-2023, 07:17 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,736 times
1. walk two miles every day the weather cooperates.
2. mow 1.5 acres with a push lawn mower.
3. park in the far corner of the lot.
4. take the stairs.
5. on bad weather days...push-ups, sit-ups, and weights.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:44 PM

495 posts, read 327,291 times
I belong to a gym, but often workout at home instead. I have some favorite workout videos, a couple are free on youtube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ahKIj7nMHM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqEHqiu2QHQ

Or run near my home, go for a hike in the local state park, etc.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:54 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,577,745 times
It's not necessary to go to the gym. I've exercised at gyms AND/OR at home, off and on, most of my adult life. I'm in my late 60s. I belong to the gym right now (my Medicare supplemental plan pays for it...it costs that ins. co. about $25/mo), but I exercise more at home than go to the gym. My health is excellent & my weight normal.

It's convenient to exercise at home. I have some common lightweight equipment at home, not to mention books, dvds, and then there are youtube videos. It doesn't take much space, I can do it any time of day/night, can dress any way I want, and put something good on tv or radio.

The gym's great, too. The weights are heavier & give good range of motion. Some awesome equipment. There are also exercise classes for my age group.

I just re-started my walking program, which I'd stopped for a couple of years. Walking at a decent clip while listening to music, for a certain amount of time, does wonders for health and stress.

Formal exercise is great, but I gotta say, my Dad, who is 91, has never done formal exercise but has been pretty active all his life, though he's slowed up a lot lately. He's in excellent health for his age. He quit drinking alcohol when he was in his 30s, and never smoked. He's always done his own yard work until the last couple of years when his grandson started helping. He has a half acre. He's been very physical all his life. Most people don't have that lifestyle, though, or the room and opportunities to be that physical, and have to do formal exercise. A year ago when his chimney started leaking, he decided to remove the chimney instead of repair it, so his wife wouldn't have to deal with it, after he's gone to his Maker. He got up there with his grandson, and the two of them removed the brick chimney and then did whatever you do to fix the hole. His wife was ill in bed so didn't know he was doing that, or she wouldn't have allowed it. I fussed at him, but it was no use. As I said, he's just a physical, active man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness