Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 12:57 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times

Advertisements

Cycling- Nothing competitive . Simply bike.

Home excercise regime. Love it! Have my hand weights and a set standard of back, leg, thighs, shoulders excercises.

Tried doing yoga and that was a hoot and a half! Thank goodness I didn't apply for a course.

Have done the pool at our township pool.
Have tried tennis and pickle ball.

Our local park has an excercise area- where you can do pull up, bench , and step.
creative setup !

But nope- to paying a gym, money out is not money back in . I find that most techniques can be done in every day life. That 40 lb of potting soil that needs to go out for the garden is plenty good to work with.
Or the non scheduled- chasing after the neighbors dog that got out and everyone is trying to corner it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 06:59 AM

9,409 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Going to a gym is expensive and time consuming. It only makes sense if you live in a huge polluted city that has no walking trails and you live in a small apartment, in my opinion.
Wow, lots of baseless generalizations here that are absolutely completely untrue. Most gym memberships to large, corporate gyms are very reasonable - $20 to $30 a month on average. If you go to a Planet Fitness I think it's about half that.

I have a 3,000 square foot house. How in the world would I ever be able to replicate all of the various machines and weights at a facility like LA Fitness, with hundreds of thousands of dollars in gym equipment and weights? And how would I have the space? Would I convert my living room into a gym? Please explain that reasoning as I'd love to hear it. I'm also not going to carry around a sack of potatoes or whatever you're doing, that's not the kind of workout I, nor 99% of the population who exercises regularly, do/does.

BTW, you can do both. You can belong to a gym AND do your cardio outdoors, that's how I do it most days living here in sunny FL. It's not a one or the other choice.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:57 AM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times
I'm waiting until I'm eligible for Silver Sneakers to join an actual gym. I've done some "free days" at both the YMCA and a small private gym and really enjoyed both (the first for the pool, equipment, and group classes and the second for the friendly atmosphere), so I'm really looking forward to that! In the meantime, I continue my hobbies of hiking, biking, kayaking, and dancing -- all MOSTLY free.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:42 AM

10,571 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post

I have always been active and find digging a hole quite satisfying, but if you don't have a yard, a Costco or Sams Club membership (if you are in the U.S.) is less than 100.00 a year. I go to Costco, park in the back lot, get a basket and fill it up with birdseed and white vinegar (2 gallon cartons) and then I walk the ailse and find the rest of the stuff I need...
LOL. You're eccentric!

I've dug my share of holes over the years, but don't do it "just because". What's your yard look like, the dark side of the moon?

My activities are all outdoors if possible. Running, mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, and tennis.

Yard work, working on cars and a few calisthenics for upper body exercise.

Gyms and weight lifting have no appeal. Not sure if I could afford, haven't priced membership.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:48 AM

9,409 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
LOL. You're eccentric!

I've dug my share of holes over the years, but don't do it "just because". What's your yard look like, the dark side of the moon?

My activities are all outdoors if possible. Running, mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, and tennis.

Yard work, working on cars and a few calisthenics for upper body exercise.

Gyms and weight lifting have no appeal. Not sure if I could afford, haven't priced membership.
The gas money alone going to/from Costco/Sam's is enough to cover the yearly gym membership and then some! Lol.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:34 AM

33,275 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

But nope- to paying a gym, money out is not money back in . I find that most techniques can be done in every day life. That 40 lb of potting soil that needs to go out for the garden is plenty good to work with.
Or the non scheduled- chasing after the neighbors dog that got out and everyone is trying to corner it
Money out is absolutely money back in as long as you actually use the gym that you paid the money for. Money in the form of health and greater strength and fitness. Sure you can get a workout without going to a gym but you can do things at a gym that you can't do elsewhere. At the gym I can leg press over a 1,000 lbs for reps (shameless bragging ). I can't do that at home because I don't have a leg press machine.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:52 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,108,586 times
Contrary to the belief of many, walking is excellent exercise. Start small and work your way up long walks. Walking ten miles a day gives you a whole new perspective on life.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
We have a treadmill and an exercise bike, and just ordered an upper body exercise "bike".

Old 05-24-2023, 01:16 PM

986 posts, read 547,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Walking is not exercise but it is better than not exercising.
There is a difference between taking a one mile stroll and walking 3 miles. It is exercise.

When I was growing up my friends, cousins and I would walk 5 miles one way to get somewhere, sometimes we got a ride home, sometimes we had to walk back. In high school I used to walk up hill about 4 miles to school because I didn't want to ride the bus, and on the way home it was an easy 4 mile walk down hill. I was active, working with the dogs and horses (that is exercise), digging post holes etc., running when I was in a hurry. When I joined the army I was one of the few who did not find the physical requirements difficult. Maybe the altitude helped a little but others that I joined with from the high desert did not find the low altitude of South Carolina that much help to their physical stress.

You do what works for you, the rest of us will do what works for us. When you are getting close to 70 you will change your mind about walking not being exercise.

Old 05-24-2023, 01:48 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,000,626 times
So this is basically an old guy telling stories about walking uphill to school thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness