Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 08:09 AM

9,891 posts, read 7,775,942 times

Advertisements

I hate gyms too, I'd much rather be exercising outside or at home. We have a pool, big garden, very hilly neighborhood, treadmill, free weights and vibration plates. Fast walking our neighborhood is great exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 12:37 PM

8,361 posts, read 2,984,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Walking is not exercise but it is better than not exercising.

To your question, I have a gym in my basement so instead of going to the gym I do my workouts at home. It's convenient but it's not better than going to the gym because my equipment is limited.

That said, you don't need gym equipment to exercise. There are many forms of equipment free exercises but walking in itself is not exercise. It's a mental break.
Walking is arguably one of the better exercises. Especially for those that are older and/or don’t have gym equipment or want to join a gym and can’t run or jog. Super healthy activity.

Old 05-25-2023, 02:45 PM

13,666 posts, read 10,056,814 times
I pulls tree stumps out with my bare teeth, and carries buckets on a yoke.

Not really, that's just at weekends.

Gardening, lot's of watering by watering can, hedge cutting without power tools, tree planting in big holes, lots of walking up big hills, and a bit of cycling, just now and then. I also swim in the sea.

Old 05-25-2023, 04:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Walking is arguably one of the better exercises. Especially for those that are older and/or don’t have gym equipment or want to join a gym and can’t run or jog. Super healthy activity.
It is for sure, but more info keeps coming out about the importance of resistance exercise being part of the mix as one ages.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:47 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,351,613 times
I go to the gym 3 days a week. If I miss it's because I'm working in the yard. Lifting garden soil, mulch, planting, etc.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:29 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,817,815 times
I can't stand going to a gym. We used to ice skate, roller skate, ski, and we still ride our bikes in between projects. This will be day 7 in a row setting tile. We work at least 6 hours. It's garden season so I spend a lot of time playing in the dirt. I miss our 5 mile walks and so does my little dog Joe. I hope to get back to skating some day too.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:47 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,314,556 times
I also now despise going to a gym, however I do my calisthenics outdoors, weather permitting and workout in my garage with dips, pullups, squats, pushups and heavy bag,

Old 05-26-2023, 03:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 3,958,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It depends on the task at hand. Sometimes chopping wood. Sometimes I get a gig doing construction labor (yes, really). I often walk barefoot on the dirt trails at some local parks which works muscles some people don’t know they have.

Where I am, though, we have this little community gym which is completely free to use, for anyone who is at least 48 hours sober - it’s meant as a substance abuse resource but it’s open to anybody and everybody as long as you have 48 hours of sobriety before going in the doors (honor system).
You're in the Rochester area, correct? Where's that sober gym located? Interesting concept

Old 05-26-2023, 03:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You're in the Rochester area, correct? Where's that sober gym located? Interesting concept
I agree, I was touched by the idea that a place like that exists.

Old 05-26-2023, 04:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 3,958,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I agree, I was touched by the idea that a place like that exists.
Yeah, me too. And it's relevant to me personally as I have my struggles with alcohol. I'm sure jcp would have eventually responded, but in the meantime, Google got me there:

https://www.rocoveryfitness.org/

Roughly an hour's drive for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness