Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 03:21 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,918,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You don't actually need a gram per pound of body weight.
Correct.

You need 2g per kg of body weight.

All kinds of studies show that endurance athletes need 2g protein per kg per day. I'm with OP, I've never come close - maybe when eating 4-5000 calories after days of 20+ mile hikes. I'm pescatarian so it's even harder and more expensive!

The current stance of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine is 1.2 to 2.0 g/kg/day for athletes, regardless if you are endurance or strength. The RDA, created in WW2 to prevent shortages, says 0.8 g/kg/day is baseline minimum. Research also shows that seniors should also hit the 1.2 to 2.0 g/kg/day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 04:50 PM

61,889 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Yeah, I'm not looking to get shredded or become a body builder. Just enough muscle to be visible enough to impress the ladies.
Most ladies aren't impressed seeing muscles. Find something else you could put on the table.

Old 07-11-2023, 04:56 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
I've always struggled to get fit and gain muscle even though I work out and I think the big problem is, I don't get enough protein. I read you need at least 1 gram of protein per pound on a daily basis. How is that possible? Many foods don't really have enough protein. Even high protein foods like peanuts and eggs only have 6-8g of proteins per serving.

Since I weigh 150 lbs, that means I need 150g of protein on a daily basis. So I need 50g of protein for breakfast, for lunch and for dinner?? How is that possible? Most food don't have that high amounts of protein. I'm lucky if you can get 20-25g in a meal.

The recommended protein intake is around .33 per pound. Otherwise, add protein shakes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-11-2023, 05:08 PM

19,072 posts, read 14,010,044 times
If you’re actually serious here OP - I know you often aren’t- then first to go is the cereal. Wasted meal right there. Then the sandwich next unless you’re talking about a grilled chicken breast, fish filet, or steak sandwich. Cold cuts are crap.

If you’re eating Mcdonalds regularly enough to have to question it’s inclusion in your daily protein intake, you’re entering into another conversation. Mcdonalds is mostly processed, chemically altered crap. Oddly enough their burger patty is 100% beef. So maybe 1 burger a week. Never tough their fries. They’re basically lab created poison.

From there, it really is easy. More milk, more eggs, more meat, a protein shake or two. Done. I end my day with a small bowl of yogurt or cottage cheese with some protein powder, fruit and maybe peanut butter. I’m going for 170+ grams per day. It’s really not all that tough, especially if you start off breakfast focused on protein as opposed to a big bowl of worthless carbs.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-11-2023, 05:29 PM

3,522 posts, read 1,425,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If you’re actually serious here OP - I know you often aren’t- then first to go is the cereal. Wasted meal right there. Then the sandwich next unless you’re talking about a grilled chicken breast, fish filet, or steak sandwich. Cold cuts are crap.

If you’re eating Mcdonalds regularly enough to have to question it’s inclusion in your daily protein intake, you’re entering into another conversation. Mcdonalds is mostly processed, chemically altered crap. Oddly enough their burger patty is 100% beef. So maybe 1 burger a week. Never tough their fries. They’re basically lab created poison.

From there, it really is easy. More milk, more eggs, more meat, a protein shake or two. Done. I end my day with a small bowl of yogurt or cottage cheese with some protein powder, fruit and maybe peanut butter. I’m going for 170+ grams per day. It’s really not all that tough, especially if you start off breakfast focused on protein as opposed to a big bowl of worthless carbs.
The funny thing is, I grew up on cereal. My mom was one heck of a cook and she would gladly cook a nice meal for lunch and dinner, but for breakfast, she was like “Grab a cereal box and leave me alone.” So that is why cereal has always been my breakfast. But I do try to eat healthy cereal like Post Shredded Wheat, which is fairly decent in protein. And combined with milk, I expect I’m gettting roughly 15g or so of protein with that one bowl of cereal.

Old 07-11-2023, 05:30 PM

3,522 posts, read 1,425,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most ladies aren't impressed seeing muscles. Find something else you could put on the table.
The thing is, I’ve been wanting to wear tank tops and sleeveless shirts during warm weather because it gets so dang humid here in NYC. But I just think it looks kinda goofy wearing that if I ain’t got no muscles.

Old 07-11-2023, 06:15 PM

19,072 posts, read 14,010,044 times
Lol well I wear tank tops in public all the time. Take my word for it, ditch the cereal. Three eggs, milk, some bacon (or another meat) and some cottage cheese and you’re already off to a great start.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-11-2023, 06:29 PM

1,647 posts, read 873,867 times
Quote:
The funny thing is that even those high protein foods pictured there, the amount of protein still very low. Funny how many food today can have hundreds and hundreds of calories on a small serving but only have a measly 10g of protein.

Even if I were to snack something with 10-20g of protein, I still need to do better than that if I need to pack on 150g per day. Like I said, this is A LOT harder than you guys think.

And the problem is, I get full easily. Cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, chicken and rice for dinner and small snack in the evening is enough to make me STUFFED for the day. And I'm lucky if all that equals 100g. Where the heck am I going to get the extra 50-60g, let alone have the appetite for it??
True, this is why out of the 3 macronutrients, people struggle the most getting protein. Fats and carbs are easy to come by.

Despite this, getting the necessary protein to bulk is easily achievable. At my max I was consuming 220 grams per day. Three meals a day is not going to cut it. You must snack with high protein foods. Also add some protein shakes. Lastly, I found breakfast to be the most protein deficient meal of the day. Eat more eggs. The processed breakfast meats don't have a much protein. Drink milk (if no digestive issues). There are also a few select cereals with higher levels of protein compared to traditional cereal. Once again, easily achievable. Just have to do some planning.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:30 PM

10,582 posts, read 7,804,960 times
Quote:
The thing is, I’ve been wanting to wear tank tops and sleeveless shirts during warm weather because it gets so dang humid here in NYC. But I just think it looks kinda goofy wearing that if I ain’t got no muscles.
Body image issues! Damn man, you're gung ho about stuffing yourself with protein just to look better in a T-top?

So much for Michael Pollan's healthy eating advice: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”

Old 07-11-2023, 07:32 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,434,350 times
I've been trying to boost my protein intake post surgery. Eggs, meat, full fat Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and whey protein powder have been my go tos.

If you're too full to eat enough protein, cut out something else you're eating. Like cereal, bread, rice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness