Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 06:53 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times

Advertisements

It ain't magic OP. Like everything, you need to put in the work to get to whatever your goals are. Lots of good suggestions and info in this thread.

You don't need protein powder if you eat enough protein, so do that, or supplement. But just know that a few more grams of protein isn't the end all be all. It's a journey and you either do what is needed to get to your goal or you don't. If you don't/won't then ok, fine. Try again, or give up...whatever. But it's not like you can't get their. It's not the worlds fault you can't get enough protein for your needs, it's yours. Take responsibility and make it happen or don't.

None of that is meant to be snarky. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 06:55 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
OP needs to keep in mind, that his lack of muscle is probably not a protein issue.

I'm a 56 year old, female, and eat primarily vegetarian and I have no trouble building muscle definition.

I doubt upping your protein will accomplish much.

Youngest son had to take LOTS of protein, he started out very thin, which he hated. Became a gym rat, needed to massively bulk up, and now he is pretty big with lots of muscle. He is 21 and has a super fast metabolism.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-12-2023, 07:02 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
You see, this is the issue. Almost everyone here has protein powder or protein shakes on their list. And that goes to show that foods just have too little protein and it is extremely difficult to naturally get a sufficient amount of protein without gulping down a protein drink.
I had several sessions with a nutritionist in the hospital. I strongly resisted the idea of supplements (and refused the Ensure, yuck).
But healing requires more protein than just living. I believe she said normal protein requirements are 1 gram per KILO (2.2lbs) of body weight, and she wanted me to get about 30% more than that.

You're putting yourself in an abnormal situation (adding muscle), so you have to eat abnormal foods.

Last edited by steiconi; 07-12-2023 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-12-2023, 07:47 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Eggs and nuts help me hit my target. I'm female, so less protein required. Still, it's tough to hit the goal. But eggs & nuts certainly pack a whallop. I don't eat many calories, so it's hard to get the protein I need.

I add a bit of Vital Proteins supplement to cereal and things. Not a lot of protein, but helps hit the mark.

I'm not a body builder or the like. I just looked up protein because I'm trying to gain muscle. I'm older, and we all lose muscle as we age. Specifically, I noticed I'd lost my booty!!! Horror! I'm doing targeted exercises for glutes (as well as arms, etc.). I've begun to see some improvement. And the muscles in my glutes are much stronger.

American College of Sports Medicine says to build muscle in conjunction w/physical activity, a person needs 0.5 to 0.8 grams per pound of body weight. I've read higher requirements elsewhere, but since I'm female and not a bodybuilder, I went with this, esp due to the source. I weigh about 114, so my protein requirement is 57g - 92g. Remember that I don't eat that many calories, so I have to pay attention, but I can usu. hit somewhere in that range.

Last edited by bpollen; 07-12-2023 at 07:57 AM..

Old 07-12-2023, 07:57 AM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
You see, this is the issue. Almost everyone here has protein powder or protein shakes on their list. And that goes to show that foods just have too little protein and it is extremely difficult to naturally get a sufficient amount of protein without gulping down a protein drink.
And.....? So what? You seem to be ranting about the lack of protein in food vs. your ability to eat such foods.

You can add all sorts of things to protein shakes: bananas, strawberries, spinach, etc. that are all natural foods if you're worried about that.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:14 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
And.....? So what? You seem to be ranting about the lack of protein in food vs. your ability to eat such foods.

You can add all sorts of things to protein shakes: bananas, strawberries, spinach, etc. that are all natural foods if you're worried about that.
Ok fine. Let me start by ordering these and see how things go...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-12-2023, 01:44 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:

Those are solid and taste good. If you have a Costco, they usually have them in bulk.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:47 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:

My elderly mother's doctor told her that she needed more protein in her diet, so we got her these from Costco. She likes them a lot. In addition to making sure she gets her share of chicken, turkey, fish, we also stocked up on protein toaster waffles, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and nuts.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:55 PM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Buy powder and mix it yourself. Way cheaper.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-12-2023, 03:14 PM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Buy powder and mix it yourself. Way cheaper.
Definitely. Solid advice. Buy a shaker bottle or use a blender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness