Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2023, 02:01 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,494,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I'm 5'11''.

I'm skinny on arms and legs, but have a little fat in the stomach, aka skinny fat. So my stomach it not a pot belly or anything, but it ain't flat either. So it's all about getting rid of that little buldge on the stomach and building more muscle.
If you cannot see your abs, all 6-10 of them (6, 8, 10 is genetic), then you're overweight.

No need to eat any calorie surplus, you need to lose weight. Btw, you don't need 1g of protein for 1kg, that's only for cutters (bodybuilders on a cut). If you eat calories from other macro sources, they have a protein sparing effect, but for you, 50-75g of protein is more than enough to build. If you're not building muscle, it has nothing to do with your protein consumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
No, that's simply wrong.

Post exercise (let's say up to 24 hrs post), you need to be in an anabolic state to add things to the body (preferablly muscle protein). You need to be in a caloric surplus. No low calorie diet that's high in protein is going to put on weight. You are not gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time..

When you eat more than you burn off, you will store some as muscle and some as fat and muscle glycogen. If you overeat while being sedentary, most of that is going to bodyfat. If you lift, at least some of it will go to muscle.

Conversely when you diet and do low intensity exercise and end up in a catabolic state, the majority of what you burn off will be fat, but some will be lean body mass (e.g. muscle mass). The more severe the caloric deficit and the lower body fat% you are, the more likely you are to burn off a bit more muscle mass. This is where higher protein intake is most important - it will help you stave off burning body muscle.
What you wrote is old body builder folk wisdom back in the 70s, that has been debunked.

I do remember fondly the days in the local meat-head gym, where the guy would pull out his meal, and stop his workout to make sure he got some protein inside his "anabolic window" lol.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:09 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,126 times
Quote:
I'm 5'11''.

I'm skinny on arms and legs, but have a little fat in the stomach, aka skinny fat. So my stomach it not a pot belly or anything, but it ain't flat either. So it's all about getting rid of that little buldge on the stomach and building more muscle.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

You cannot gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Most people have "bulk phases" and "cut phases" where they stagger goals sequently. I think you can do it in a shorter time frame (like I do), but at least that applied within a 24 hr period.

You have to eat more after resistance exercise, that's most important to gaining weight and gaining muscle mass. Maybe 300-500 kcals over maintenance for the 24 hrs post workout. Yes, you will gain some fat too, that's just a natural consequence. Sure eat a bunch of protein, but keep in mind a lot of protein might lead to a satiated state that pushes against you eating more calories.

Then on other days, keep calories lower than maintenance, and make sure protein is high. This will burn off the extra fat gain, and the net result should be added muscle mass with little extra fat gain.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I thought.

You cannot gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Most people have "bulk phases" and "cut phases" where they stagger goals sequently. I think you can do it in a shorter time frame (like I do), but at least that applied within a 24 hr period.
You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, happens all the time.

These are body builders (cut/bulk phase) because they go down to extremely low body fat %s (6%, sometimes lower) which are not sustainable. Hence they diet to almost being comatose (the cut) and when the show finishes, they "bulk" to a healthy fat % (11-15%).

This does not apply to him, who is already overweight. He does not need to become fatter to get more muscle. Don't tell him ridiculous crap.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
What you wrote is old body builder folk wisdom back in the 70s, that has been debunked.

I do remember fondly the days in the local meat-head gym, where the guy would pull out his meal, and stop his workout to make sure he got some protein inside his "anabolic window" lol.
lol, outside of beginners, you need a caloric surplus for some part of the higher period of muscle protein synthesis post workout. It probably doesn't even need to be a full 24 hour period. I didn't say you had to pump protein shakes immediately post workout.

I paid attention to the latest literature for like a decade starting 15 years ago. Please let me know literature sources where it changed that you don't need to eat enough food to gain weight.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, happens all the time.

These are body builders (cut/bulk phase) because they go down to extremely low body fat %s (6%, sometimes lower) which are not sustainable. Hence they diet to almost being comatose (the cut) and when the show finishes, they "bulk" to a healthy fat % (11-15%).

This does not apply to him, who is already overweight. He does not need to become fatter to get more muscle. Don't tell him ridiculous crap.

5'11 150lbs is undoubtedly not fat.

He doesn't need to get fat. He needs to lift a few days a week, eat a good amount of food on those days (which he's not doing). And on other days, do a bit of caloric restriction with high protein.

Dare I bring up actually doing real cardio exercise, I'm sure you will also think don't need to intake carbs for superior intense cardio performance!

Old 07-19-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
lol, outside of beginners, you need a caloric surplus for some part of the higher period of muscle protein synthesis post workout. It probably doesn't even need to be a full 24 hour period. I didn't say you had to pump protein shakes immediately post workout.

I paid attention to the latest literature for like a decade starting 15 years ago. Please let me know literature sources where it changed that you don't need to eat enough food to gain weight.
First of all, no matter what diet you're on, you will enter catabolic and anabolic periods. All your body needs is 100 calories to build muscle, and it can get that from your fat storage for those who are overweight. What drives muscle gain is stimulus and hormones primarily.

Once you get below 10% body fat, or above 20% body fat, your body does not efficiently add muscle.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
5'11 150lbs is undoubtedly not fat.

He doesn't need to get fat. He needs to lift a few days a week, eat a good amount of food on those days (which he's not doing). And on other days, do a bit of caloric restriction with high protein.

Dare I bring up actually doing real cardio exercise, I'm sure you will also think don't need to intake carbs for superior intense cardio performance!
If you cannot see your abs, you're fat. His body fat % is above 20, probably above 25% based on his description.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:33 PM

3,487 posts, read 1,407,700 times
Quote:
If you cannot see your abs, you're fat. His body fat % is above 20, probably above 25% based on his description.
Using this calculator, I'm 20%.

https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

Body Fat (U.S. Navy Method)- 20.0%
Body Fat Category- Average
Body Fat Mass- 30.4 lbs
Lean Body Mass- 121.6 lbs
Ideal Body Fat for Given Age (Jackson & Pollard)- 14.7%
Body Fat to Lose to Reach Ideal- 8.1 lbs
Body Fat (BMI method)- 18.3%

Old 07-19-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Using this calculator, I'm 20%.

https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

Body Fat (U.S. Navy Method)- 20.0%
Body Fat Category- Average
Body Fat Mass- 30.4 lbs
Lean Body Mass- 121.6 lbs
Ideal Body Fat for Given Age (Jackson & Pollard)- 14.7%
Body Fat to Lose to Reach Ideal- 8.1 lbs
Body Fat (BMI method)- 18.3%
Ok, that calculator can only give you a rough estimate as we all store body fat in different areas. Hydrostatic weighing is the most accurate way, if you want to go down that route. But you see from that 14.7 is your ideal body fat %, since you're above this already, no need to up your calories to gain muscle. If you were 7% body fat, it would be a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness