Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2023, 09:02 AM

48,697 posts, read 35,171,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Ok, I see. The reason I'm obsessing over protein because I DID try going to the gym back in 2017 before the pandemic and went 3 times a week consistently for 6 months and got ZERO results. In fact, at one point, I moved from the machine weights to the free weights to help see if that made a difference and NOTHING!
Just get a trainer. Tell them what you want to accomplish, and ask what the time frame is.

We have no idea HOW you worked out for those six months, what kind of fat layer you had, or how long you stayed at the gym each day, how you ate, etc.

I see lots of guys just going for max weights as fast as they can, and they are fat, but can lift a lot (if having control is not an option).

Just remember when you are lifting or doing cardio, you are doing something healthy for your body. That should be number one. The muscles come later, after a lot of hard work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 09:25 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,548,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just get a trainer. Tell them what you want to accomplish, and ask what the time frame is.

We have no idea HOW you worked out for those six months, what kind of fat layer you had, or how long you stayed at the gym each day, how you ate, etc.

I see lots of guys just going for max weights as fast as they can, and they are fat, but can lift a lot (if having control is not an option).

Just remember when you are lifting or doing cardio, you are doing something healthy for your body. That should be number one. The muscles come later, after a lot of hard work.
A trainer could be an expensive waste of money. If he's complaining about the price of protein shakes, I doubt he has money for a PT.

Time under tension is important. If you want to build muscle, your sets need to last 40 seconds. So if you're doing 15 reps, each rep needs to take you 2-3 seconds. On the bench, that means push upward as hard and fast you can (concentric) but on the way down, allow the weight to fall back and rest on your chest slowly (eccentric).

Most studies now point out that most muscle growth happens on the eccentric portion of the lift, the thing many novice lifters rush through.

The difference between a powerlifter and bodybuilder? A powerlifter tries to lift the heaviest weight as efficiently as they can whereas the bodybuilder tries to make the lightest weight feel as heavy as he can.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:33 AM

48,697 posts, read 35,171,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
A trainer could be an expensive waste of money. If he's complaining about the price of protein shakes, I doubt he has money for a PT.

Time under tension is important. If you want to build muscle, your sets need to last 40 seconds. So if you're doing 15 reps, each rep needs to take you 2-3 seconds. On the bench, that means push upward as hard and fast you can (concentric) but on the way down, allow the weight to fall back and rest on your chest slowly (eccentric).

Most studies now point out that most muscle growth happens on the eccentric portion of the lift, the thing many novice lifters rush through.

The difference between a powerlifter and bodybuilder? A powerlifter tries to lift the heaviest weight as efficiently as they can whereas the bodybuilder tries to make the lightest weight feel as heavy as he can.
We just switched over to TUT a month ago (DH a few months), and omg, it makes such a difference.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-20-2023, 10:16 AM

3,549 posts, read 1,464,420 times
Quote:
Age please. People gain muscle very very slowly after their 30s. You're basically fighting to keep what you have from then on out.
I'm 37 now. I was about 31/32 when I started going and got zero results. The funny thing is, during that first month or so, I was getting stronger where I was able to increase the weights a little bit, but then around that third/fourth month, I plateaued and wasn't getting stronger. In fact, there were days where I seemed weaker. Very ironic.

Back then, I was skinnier with much better metabolism. I could literally eat all the junk food I wanted without gaining a pound. Not the case today. Now, I get bloated when I eat crap.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:17 AM

3,549 posts, read 1,464,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think that's what I need to focus on now most importantly. I'm too focus on the end goal instead of just enjoying the journey. I need to work on that.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I'm 37 now. I was about 31/32 when I started going and got zero results. The funny thing is, during that first month or so, I was getting stronger where I was able to increase the weights a little bit, but then around that third/fourth month, I plateaued and wasn't getting stronger. In fact, there were days where I seemed weaker. Very ironic.

Back then, I was skinnier with much better metabolism. I could literally eat all the junk food I wanted without gaining a pound. Not the case today. Now, I get bloated when I eat crap.
A novice lifter can recruit around 40% of their muscle fibers available to them to do a given movement. With training, that can be boosted to 60%. An athlete is an athlete because they can get above 60% , around 70% or so. In a life or death situation, with adrenaline pumping through your veins, this could be 90%.

Point is, your brain is the most important organ when it comes to lifting. If you're not motivated, sleepy, or just 'overtrained', your strength can rapidly go down.

I don't know how your workout program looked like. I'd suggest as a beginner, do no more than 8 sets per muscle group, and something like 2-3 exercises per muscle group and 2 sets per exercise. Do 1 warm-up set (which doesn't count toward your set total) and then the rest of your sets will be AMRAP. When you think you cannot lift one more, try again as if you would get 1 million for the lift. Then record everything into a log book, and when you come back next week, try to beat those numbers.

Unless you're on steroids, don't expect muscle growth, especially at your age, to be visible in less than 6 months. In fact, if you're lucky, you will add 5 - 10 lbs of muscle over 1 year of extreme hard work. Let's take the bottom end of this range, 5lbs? Sounds like nothing. But think of it like strapping 5 16oz steaks around your body, it will make a difference, especially if you lose fat.

You will monitor your progress mainly through your log book.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:58 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,957,972 times
Quote:
IT'S 1g for 1kg, not 1 lb!!!!!! And that's the maximum needed, when you're cutting. If you're in a calorie surplus, you can get away with 0.5g per 1kg.
It's 2g per kg.

The International Society of Sports Nutrition official position is 1.4-2.0 g/kg/day
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2117006/

0.5g/kg/day is below RDA.
RDA is 0.8g/kg/day

1g/kg isn't much more than RDA, and RDA was found because that's the MINIMUM a population needs to have in order to support a war effort during rationing.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:59 AM

29,797 posts, read 34,609,632 times
Quote:
I think that's what I need to focus on now most importantly. I'm too focus on the end goal instead of just enjoying the journey. I need to work on that.
Right. Work out in a way that you enjoy, and eat nutritious food with the occasional splurges. That's a good place to start and is something you can stick with. You don't have to make it complicated.

Old 07-20-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
It's 2g per kg.

The International Society of Sports Nutrition official position is 1.4-2.0 g/kg/day
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2117006/

0.5g/kg/day is below RDA.
RDA is 0.8g/kg/day

1g/kg isn't much more than RDA, and RDA was found because that's the MINIMUM a population needs to have in order to support a war effort during rationing.
Calorie surplus has a protein sparing effect which is why you can get by less protein if you eat more calories.

You don't need more than 1g per kg. Eating more doesn't give you muscle, it just makes you fatter.

Old 07-20-2023, 12:26 PM

841 posts, read 559,381 times
I have lots of trouble with protein (just referring to a regular diet, not trying to build muscle.) Not only do I not eat a lot to start with, but it seems like a few bites of meat and my body just says no more. So, while not my ideal method, I drink a high-protein coffee in the morning (normally the Chike brand that is 20g of protein and 150g of caffeine) and then sometime during the day having a 30g protein shake. I don't normally take a lunch break, so it's something I can just sip at my desk over an hour or two and manage to get down. That gets me 50g of protein. RDA (.8g/kg) puts me at around 47g, so this covers that. Any more I get when I eat supper or if I eat something else during the day is just bonus (or gets me to a healthy level depending on your thoughts about RDA).

My husband tries to eat high protein, high fat, low carb, so for him, his lunch during the week is 3 boiled eggs. I'd love to do that, too, but I just can't stomach it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness