Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 01:55 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,911,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I found the study: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...article/187228

And well surprise, the findings are completely different than that article summarized. In fact vigorous physical activity was a better predicator of longevity than moderate physical activity which was better than being sedentary. No mention of "aging" at all, in fact how would you measure it? Wrinkles?
The article stated that the most physically active people averaged about 1.8 years of extra aging on their biological body clocks. No further explanation was given, so I gave no idea how the researchers measured 'biological aging'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 02:01 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
The article stated that the most physically active people averaged about 1.8 years of extra aging on their biological body clocks. No further explanation was given, so I gave no idea how the researchers measured 'biological aging'
From the study:

Quote:
Biological ageing was assessed using blood-based epigenetic ageing measures, namely, principal component (PC)–based DNAm GrimAge[16,17] and DunedinPACE[15]. The measurement and preprocessing of the DNAm levels, as well as additional information on the epigenetic ageing measures, are provided in the online supplementary material. To summarise, DNAm GrimAge is a mortality predictor by design, and it is composite of age, sex, DNAm-based surrogates for seven plasma proteins and smoking pack-years[17]. Recently, PC-based epigenetic clocks have been developed to bolster the reliability and validity of the clocks[16]. We produced PC-based GrimAge estimates using an R package ([16], https://github.com/MorganLevineLab/PC-Clocks). Age acceleration (AAPC-Grim) in years was determined as a residual by regressing the estimated epigenetic age on chronological age. In addition, we obtained PC-based components of GrimAge (adjusted for age), including DNAm smoking pack-years, DNAm adrenomedullin (ADM), DNAm beta-2-microglobulin (B2M), DNAm cystatin C, DNAm growth differentiation factor 15 (GDF15), DNAm leptin, DNAm plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 (PAI-1), and DNAm tissue inhibitor metalloproteinases 1 (TIMP-1).
Basically, surrogate markers, and modeling. Nothing I'd take too seriously. But I want to keep repeating this:

Quote:
Leisure-time physical activity (LTPA) LTPA was measured in metabolic equivalent (MET) hours per day (h/day) using a structured validated questionnaire in 1975, 1981 and 1990[7,19-21] (see online supplementary material and Tables S1-S2 for details).
In other words, people were put into physical activity buckets based on a questionnaire in 1975, 1981, and 1990. No one knows their actual physical activity on a day in day basis.

Imagine if I asked your physical activity for those years, would your physical activity stay constant in that time frame?

Old 12-14-2023, 02:09 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
My concern would be that people would use this "study" to justify not exercising AT ALL.

"Well the internet said that I'll live longer if I don't exercise..."
Yup, 100%.

Old 12-14-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
From the study:

Basically, surrogate markers, and modeling. Nothing I'd take too seriously. But I want to keep repeating this:

In other words, people were put into physical activity buckets based on a questionnaire in 1975, 1981, and 1990. No one knows their actual physical activity on a day in day basis.

Imagine if I asked your physical activity for those years, would your physical activity stay constant in that time frame?
The epigenetic stuff interests me but I'd have to invest some serious time reading up on the methodology; as a layperson I am nowhere near qualified to judge the validity of that component of the research. As for the questionnaires, aside from the issue you mentioned, why were the last ones administered in 1990? That's 30+ years unaccounted for....

Old 12-14-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
This is the famous study:

https://www.jacc.org/doi/10.1016/j.jacc.2018.06.045

During strenuous bouts of cardiovascular activity, your body is forced to find alternate ways of getting oxygen to the heart. As a result, you increase the number of blood vessels. This is one of the many reasons cardiovascular exercise leads to lower BP. But also, during a heart attack, increases your odds of survival, as now you have more routes for blood to flow in case one gets blocked.

The many benefits of exercise.
Alex Hutchinson's book 'Endure', which I read within the past year, includes some great discussion of VO2 max, including reflections on nature vs nurture issues related to natural endowment and capacity for improvement

Old 12-14-2023, 02:26 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
That's 30+ years unaccounted for....
Exactly. Based on their response to the questionnaire in 1990, they're assumed to continue with the same physical activity 30 years later.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:02 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,944,967 times
I won’t close it because the topic is relevant to the forum. The OP can ignore the thread’s continuing conversation.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-14-2023, 04:43 PM

844 posts, read 1,441,593 times
Didnt read the article yet, but I will say I can understand the POSSIBLE PREMISE of the article. There is different types of exercising, extensive RUNNING can be bad on the joints such as your knees, and too much running probably puts wear and tear on the heart.

Weight lifting not so much.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
As was pointed out (and there's plenty of evidence to support it), weight bearing exercises are very important for older adults to help with bone density issues. Balance exercises are also important. And they should find time in their "busy lives" to incorporate them and make it a priority. They may not have a life at all if the have a trip and fall and break a hip. Most people can spare 4% of their day to do these things.
Thank you for posting this. I was shocked that my bone density was poor, no symptoms, so I'm glad you made this comment to encourage other older adults to work on balance and weights. I've learned that breaking a hip has a huge fatality rate. That same point was emphasized by Dr. Attia in his book Outlive when he talked about how any injury can impact an older person's longevity. They quit exercising while recovering and that affects their whole body. He has some great info and tips in that book.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 1,956 times
I would say this is a case by case scenario. Fitness is always good imho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness